Review of The Two-Horned King

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Behind the Eyes of Zylo Moon by David Nathaniel Nealis

Review of The Two-Horned King

Post by Merits Anih »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Two-Horned King" by S. Y. Medany.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In 2102, Jim McCoy, a man over a hundred years of age, wanted his biography written. To accomplish this, Eva Akram came to his house, expecting to see an old, frail man, but she couldn't believe her eyes when she saw that Jim McCoy was as young and agile as any youth could be. How could this be? In 2022, Jim worked as a genetic anthropologist in a DNA forensic lab. He was working on the archeological remains of an ancient male specimen nicknamed "the Baba Boy." He found something and was planning to share it with his colleagues, as the DNA analysis challenged the foundations of existing theories about early human evolution. However, as Jim approached the research building in the morning, he was arrested and informed that the lab had been broken into overnight—samples and materials had been stolen, and computer data files had been wiped clean. Jim realized with dread that someone was deliberately sabotaging his rare, one-of-a-kind discovery about the Baba Boy. But whether this was an orchestrated effort to rob him of credit from jealous rivals or part of a larger, more sinister conspiracy to keep humanity ignorant of the shocking truth, he did not know. If powerful forces were at play, how many others already knew the significance of the Baba Boy's remains?

As the story progressed, the Baba Boy's possible story was linked to Alexander the Great's quest. The legendary Macedonian conqueror, Alexander the Great, was said to have been looking for a stone (the Droba Stone) that would grant him immortality. In his search, he came across Gog and Magog, terrifying beings said to bring destruction. According to the tales, Alexander heroically trapped Gog and Magog behind an impenetrable wall forged of a wondrous metal, silencing their threat to humanity. Is this tale true, and does that make Alexander the Great the Two-Horned King? What does this quest have to do with Jim's anti-aging features?

What if humans are not alone in the cosmos? Would that be terrifying or exciting to you? The Two-Horned King by S. Y. Medany intertwines mythical fantasy and historical fact. Modern discoveries continue to uncover truths about the past. This book explored advances in archaeology, DNA analysis, and even futuristic technologies like artificial intelligence. As science and archaeology collided, the boundaries between reality and imagination became even more blurry. The book strings together different stories from different generations (2022, a thousand years ago, 2102, 323 BC, etc.), aiming to unify them.

I love how the author introduced the characters, each in a different section. This helped me get acquainted with them individually before they started interacting. It eliminated any possible confusion that a lot of characters in a book would have caused. I love that the author also included images of the ancient scripts as well as maps. This is a good and thoughtful addition, as it helped me get invested in the book. At some point, I even tried deciphering the scripts myself. Though written from a third-person POV, each chapter focuses on viewing the events from one character's angle. This gave me an opportunity to know each character individually and see their strengths, weaknesses, and motives.

The Two-Horned King is book 1 of the Gates of Gog series by S. Y. Medany. I recommend the book to those who love books about archeology and history. There was nothing about this book that I disliked, and it deserves a perfect rating of 5 out of 5 stars. I would love to read the second book in this series, as I loved this one. I also applaud the author for ensuring that the book was professionally edited.

The Two-Horned King
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Who knows? It’s really hard to know who this king might be. A fiction book about this is surely the way to go.
Wonder Ayobami
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wonder-ayobami.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Wonder Ayobami »

Well written and documented review. Are you saying there wasn't even a single typo error in the book nor any sexual content?
Also, would you recommend this book to people who get bored of reading long non-captivating texts?
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by NetMassimo »

History gets mixed with myths and legends in this novel, which can be tricky to handle well. In this case, the result seems successful, with other elements added for an engaging story. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Rashad Deniro Price
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashad-deniro-price.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by Rashad Deniro Price »

I enjoyed reading your summary of this novel. I am very curious to know who could be sabotaging Jim's research and for what purpose. I recommend this novel. It's well written and explores relevant modern discourses and concerns.
Nwansimdi Mercy Someze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwansimdi-mercy-someze.html
Latest Review: The Advent of Time by Indignus Servus

Post by Nwansimdi Mercy Someze »

he plot of the story, involving Jim McCoy, a genetic anthropologist working on ancient DNA, takes an intriguing turn with his unexpected youthfulness in 2102. The mystery deepens with the theft of lab materials and wiping of computer data files, hinting at a potential conspiracy.
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: By The Rivers of Babylon by Mary Glickman

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

This review is helpful and provides sufficient information about the book "The Two-Horned King." It highlights the intriguing plot, blending fantasy and history, as well as the incorporation of scientific advancements. The inclusion of maps and ancient scripts adds to the reader's engagement. The review recommends the book to those interested in archaeology and history, with a perfect rating of 5 out of 5 stars. It is likely to motivate potential readers to buy and would be a good addition to anyone's library, according to the reviewer.
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

The review provides a captivating glimpse into "The Two-Horned King" by S. Y. Medany. It blends mythical fantasy with historical facts, incorporating advances in archaeology and DNA analysis. The author expertly introduces and develops the characters, allowing readers to get acquainted with them individually before their interactions. The inclusion of images and maps enhances the reading experience, while the multiple perspectives offer insight into each character's motives. Overall, this review signifies that "The Two-Horned King" is a compelling and well-edited book, earning a perfect rating of 5 out of 5 stars.
Ivan Kovic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-kovic.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Ivan Kovic »

Interweaving fantasy, history and archeology into an expansive narrative sounds creatively intriguing. I appreciate ambitious interdisciplinary storytelling. The premise of DNA analysis challenging foundations of human evolution theories hooks me given personal interest in anthropology topics.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

The premise leaves ample room for sequels to unravel enduring mysteries. Glad to hear more books come that this reviewer recommends reading. Textual evidence like ancient scripts and maps imply meticulous creative attention to realist immersive details.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: The Flaxen Tyranny by Simon Evans

Post by Salome Ogani »

The reviewer teasing long-arc mysteries around the Baba Boy’s anti-aging significance leaves me needing to discover more. I appreciate novelists leveraging current issues like AI advances to craft near-future fiction with intriguing plausibility.
Richard Thomasalw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-thomasalw.html

Post by Richard Thomasalw »

I respect the author crafting complete character introductions before interactions. This structure considerately grounds readers amid a large cast. Images of ancient scripts and maps demonstrate commendable creative commitment to enriching immersive world-building.
William Wrightmill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-william-wrightmill.html

Post by William Wrightmill »

Exploring mythology like Alexander The Great’s quest for immortality blended with scientific concepts intrigues me deeply. Focusing individual chapters through specific characters’ perspectives seems to balance scope with intimate revelations effectively.
Brian Adamss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brian-adamss.html

Post by Brian Adamss »

Expansive, imaginative novels like this require patient attentiveness I appreciate this reviewer modeling to unpack content richness. The thoughtfully structured crafting implies respect for readership through clarity amid complexity. Marks of a gifted storyteller.
João Ramos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo-o-ramos.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman

Post by João Ramos »

The author has to be very good to write a book like this without any holes in the story. Your perfect score makes me want to read it.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”