Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
hopefullywild
Bookshelf Size: 0

Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake

Post by hopefullywild »

Honestly, I didn't initially believe the claims that Atwood "echoes Burgess, Huxley and Orwell" as well as "does Orwell one better".

Then I read the thing.

I'm thoroughly impressed with this author. The book is wonderful, and I believe her best. To write something so haunting without creating any new technologies or innovations, using things that are familiar to us, however exaggerated, is an incredible feat. I appreciate her straightforward style as well as the blatant statements that lead the reader to develop his/her own questions and opinions on humans and our future.

If you are a giant post-apocalyptical/dystopian nerd as am I, READ THIS. :)

Anyone read it? Or her?
chicklit

Post by chicklit »

hopefullywild wrote:Honestly, I didn't initially believe the claims that Atwood "echoes Burgess, Huxley and Orwell" as well as "does Orwell one better".

Then I read the thing.

I'm thoroughly impressed with this author. The book is wonderful, and I believe her best. To write something so haunting without creating any new technologies or innovations, using things that are familiar to us, however exaggerated, is an incredible feat. I appreciate her straightforward style as well as the blatant statements that lead the reader to develop his/her own questions and opinions on humans and our future.

If you are a giant post-apocalyptical/dystopian nerd as am I, READ THIS. :)

Anyone read it? Or her?
I haven't read this book, but I've read Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale. I had just posted a comment today that that book is one of my all time favorites. I love apocalyptic type books, so I'll add this one to my must read list.
Montetre'

Post by Montetre' »

hahaha!
The Mythwriter

Post by The Mythwriter »

We read this book for my college class, though it was totally out of place amongst our material. Still, I love literature first and foremost and was very glad to have read this. I loved how it slowly unfolded through the flashbacks, and the parallels for humanity's self destructive tendencies was very powerful, especially since we weren't merely destroyed by our technology, but by our own sin.

I found it interesting that Atwood seemed to blame almost our escalating immorality more than the engineered destruction that was brought down, I believe it speaks so profoundly because it darkly echoes what we're doing right now. My only complaint was I felt she leaned just a little bit too heavily on the sexual elements to exemplify our immorality, but sadly, it's too accurate of people today to say its inaccurate and unnecessary.

Overall, not my favorite, the style was a bit too... it felt a bit bland in places, and I had to work to get her points out more than I have had to with other authors, but I do not regret reading it at all.
maykatie

Post by maykatie »

I read it about a year ago. It still resonates with me. I have read some of her other novels, but this one was so different. I really enjoyed it, and it sort of turned me on to explore more sci-fi novels. I don't really consider Atwood a sci-fi novelist, but she writes like a pro. I heard Ursula LeGuin is good, so I will read her next. I was drawn to the bizarre imagery. (it's amazing how scary pigs can be) What resonates with all of the Atwood novels is the intense inner dialouge of the characters, and what leads up to their ultimate demise or redemption. I would recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys being completely lost in a story, and can let go of the "traditional" story format .
martyrofevil

Post by martyrofevil »

My grade 12 English class read this book and it was honestly the only one of the "required reading" books (which included: "The Chrysalids, Lord of the Flies(did not read) and "Of Mice and Men) that I actually enjoyed. I really liked the book minus Oryx's backstory which I found way too long and not really necessary.
eetymaggie

Post by eetymaggie »

I enjoyed this book but it wasn't my favourite Atwood book.

The Handmaiden's Tale still haunts me, I read it at the same time as The Children of Man by PD James.They complimented each other nicely.

I hated The Robber Bride in spite of glowing recommendations from friends!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”