Review of The History of Lightning

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Isaac Oh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-oh.html
Latest Review: What I Hear When God Speaks by Allen J Brown Jr

Review of The History of Lightning

Post by Isaac Oh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The History of Lightning" by Anthony Dwayne Webb.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Lightning, who smites the wicked, is one of the nine Tragum that form the Covenant of Fire, and he has a mission to complete on Salvation Day Parade. The Salvation Day Parade is the highlight of the Covenant's most sacred festival. Lightning had a mission to intercept the Korts, who stole quite an amount of ammonium nitrate big enough to create an explosive. For hundreds of years, he has successfully completed missions without a hitch. This mission could not be any different, but he realizes how wrong he is when Henry Madison, one of the Korts, recites a poem in the face of death. Even stranger are the emotions he felt at the mention of Camelot and Gwyneth. He is certain he has never heard them before Henry mentioned them, but why does it feel all too familiar? And why does Henry insist that he has been there before?

The History of Lightning by Anthony Dwayne Webb is futuristic science fiction where all it takes is one mission for Lightning to question what is true or not. He embarks on a quest to discover the truth. Curious to find out more? Grab a copy!

When I started out reading, I was confused as to what the plot of the book was all about. The procession of the Salvation Day Parade, the Titans, and Lightning monitoring a target location were all too profound for me. Slowly, the author begins to clarify the events that happened and the direction the story will take. Anthony did not let readers get comfortable with that, as he would introduce interesting plot twists and turns that were mind-swirling but never too complex to lose track of. There are so many hidden secrets, the possibility of erased memories, and undercover agents. The story had interesting sub-plots that had their own story to tell yet connected to the main plot of the story. Jacob and Kuhnert's story led to introducing Copperhead and his mercenaries to the plot. Lightning grew into the story. He started out as a feared commander who seemed to lack the ability to show any form of emotion. Before the end of the book, he would laugh, cry, and save someone rather than kill. He embraced humanity. I found an error in the book. It was professionally edited.

I disliked some things about this book because it did not resolve most of the conflicts in it. There are so many issues left unattended. For instance, where is Adam? Why does Ulysses always speak for the Primus? What happens next with Copperhead and Ezmeralda? The book basically felt like an introduction. I cannot point to any part of the book as a climax because only minor dilemmas were resolved. Hopefully, the author wants to continue the story in book two or a sequel.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars because of the drawbacks I mentioned above. I recommend this book to lovers of science fiction and thrillers.

The History of Lightning
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Timothy Gye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-gye.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Timothy Gye »

Thank you for sharing your insightful review, Your detailed analysis highlights the author's skillful blend of science and marketing concepts, enriched by engaging personal anecdotes. It's encouraging to see the positive impact of real-world examples and the effectiveness of practical insights. Your thorough appreciation, including the absence of dislikes and recognition of the well-edited content, reinforces the book's value. Your 5-star rating and recommendation make a compelling case for readers!
Adam Bryce Stern
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adam-bryce-stern.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Adam Bryce Stern »

A well written review. As a big fan of science fiction novels I can't help but add this incredible read to my "want to read" shelf. Congrats on a great review.
Timothy Gye
Currently Reading:

Post by Timothy Gye »

Thank you for sharing your insightful review, Your detailed analysis highlights the author's skillful blend of science and marketing concepts, enriched by engaging personal anecdotes. It's encouraging to see the positive impact of real-world examples and the effectiveness of practical insights. Your thorough appreciation, including the absence of dislikes and recognition of the well-edited content, reinforces the book's value. Your 5-star rating and recommendation make a compelling case for readers!
Timothy Gye
Currently Reading:

Post by Timothy Gye »

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel has a plot that seems complex around Lightning's personal story. The cover clearly points to a series, so I expect developments of the threads left unfinished in the sequel (sequels?). Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ibraheem Rasheedat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Ibraheem Rasheedat »

The review suggests that "The History of Lightning" by Anthony Dwayne Webb is a fascinating futuristic science fiction with intriguing plot twists and a complex protagonist. However, the reviewer mentions that some conflicts are left unresolved, making it feel like an introduction rather than a complete story. Despite this drawback, the book receives a rating of 4 out of 5 stars and is recommended for lovers of science fiction and thrillers. Overall, the review presents the book as a good read with room for improvement in future installments.
Pranav Dewangan
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

The way Lightning's character evolves from a stoic commander to someone who experiences laughter and tears intrigues me. The author's ability to weave complex plot twists without losing the reader is something I'm eager to experience. Despite the unresolved conflicts, your endorsement of science fiction and thriller lovers has piqued my curiosity.
Azaz Raja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azaz-raja.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg

Post by Azaz Raja »

Thank you for your insightful review of "The History of Lightning" by Anthony Dwayne Webb. Your analysis highlights the complexities and engaging elements of the plot, as well as the development of the main character, Lightning. Your criticism regarding unresolved conflicts and the book feeling like an introduction provides valuable feedback for potential readers and the author alike. Your 4-star rating reflects your overall appreciation for the book despite its drawbacks. Readers interested in science fiction and thrillers will find your review helpful in making informed reading choices.
Rohith Kumar Pakala
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rohith-kumar-pakala.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rohith Kumar Pakala »

Thank you for your valuable insights, your review built interest in me to read this book. Great information is given by you about the book, thank you for that.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”