Review of The Cockatoo Queen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 525
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: How to “Stop Sucking at Life” by J.W. Smith

Review of The Cockatoo Queen

Post by Mutai Marshal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Cockatoo Queen" by Criselee Stevens.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Life in London was increasingly becoming unbearable as those leading the enchanted turned their backs on those they represented. Due to the rapid population growth of the witches and wolves, food shortage became an issue. Due to the punitive measures introduced, Sydney, the Chief Presider of London Guardians, secretly organized a meeting with Kent Krumble, the leader of the werewolf pack of Piccadilly, Pittimus Smith, the High Warlock of London, and Elizabeth Mountball, the head of the East End witches’ coven, to find a solution.

Eventually, the team hatched a plan to secretly escape with their subjects: witches, werewolves, warlocks, Leprechauns, and some guardians, to a land far away, where they could start a new life. Pittimus supplied an enchanted ship to ferry the different groups, but sailing had its fair share of trouble. Did the groups coexist? Will they make it to the shore before being flagged by the enchanted?

The Cockatoo Queen by Criselee Stevens is a fantasy book that piques your imagination as it mirrors how settlers from London ended up in Australia. Though fictional, I came across relevant themes in society today. They included discrimination, sexuality, love, betrayal, and politics. Every chapter begins with historical events. For instance, I learnt about Gregory Blaxland's contributions in the 1800s.

I liked that Criselee Stevens created relatable characters. I appreciated the relationship between Magnolia and Millie. Their struggles resonate with what teenagers grapple with today. The reader also gets a glimpse of what proper parenting can do.

Unfortunately, I would not say that I enjoyed reading this book. I felt some parts of the novel were disjointed. I came across a segment mentioning Harry as the school captain, yet Jarrah was the one picked. Most dialogues have grammatical errors.

I, therefore, deduct significant marks and rate The Cockatoo Queen 2 out of 5 stars due to the negatives. I would not rate it lower than that as it envisages relevant issues society has been dealing with over the centuries and for its richness in history.

Fanatics of fantasy will relish this book if the errors are addressed. I would also encourage history enthusiasts to check out the novel too.

The Cockatoo Queen
View: on Bookshelves
Shinshinshin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Shinshinshin »

Review analysis:
The reviewer found "The Cockatoo Queen" by Criselee Stevens to be a fantasy book that piques the imagination, with relevant themes such as discrimination, love, and politics. They appreciated the relatable characters and the glimpse of proper parenting. However, they didn't enjoy reading the book due to disjointed parts and grammatical errors. They rated it 2 out of 5 stars but acknowledged its relevance and historical richness. Fantasy fans may enjoy it if the errors are addressed, and history enthusiasts should check it out.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Fated Sky
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 55%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel with great potential hindered by poor execution. Probably, it needs some deep revision, possibly with the help of a professional editor who can help the author in making the narrative flow properly and with proofreading. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”