Review of To The Piper's Tune

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EBERE WRITES COCEPT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebere-writes-cocept.html
Latest Review: Island Girl by Charles R Hinckley

Review of To The Piper's Tune

Post by EBERE WRITES COCEPT »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "To The Piper's Tune" by V.N. Castelo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

To The Piper's Tune by V.N. Castelo is a science fiction/fantasy novel that takes the reader into a world where AI algorithms can predict and, in turn, control human behavior. The story revolves around a young lady named Anastasia, who has a unique mind and the ability to perceive mathematical algorithms with her senses, and this ability makes her indispensable to AI. The world as we know it in the book has survived illumination, which has changed everything, and the state of Corynth, which is an independent state, is the first to have a general artificial intelligence named Amy. In a state where free speech or thought is not allowed and city residents have to earn credentials or else they are retired, Anastasia stands out not just for her special mind but also for her courage to challenge what has been the status quo. What does this portend for her, and at the end of the day, does human agency triumph over AI?

To The Piper's Tune is a truly captivating novel. The book is aptly named as all the cityzens of Corynth have to dance to the tune of the piper, which is Amy, the general artificial intelligence. The author brings out several lessons in the book for leaders as well as those who are all for the unfettered development of technology. Using Corynth as a case study, we see the dangers of a society where free thought is not encouraged and state-sanctioned murder is the order of the day and given a different name to make it look acceptable to the people.

My favorite character in the book is Anastasia. Her brilliant mind is what attracted me to her character in the first place; the author gives us a hero who is not just brave but also has an intelligent mind. Throughout her mind, she shows us why she is special and different from the other city residents of Corynth. She is caring, compassionate, and wants to do what is right, while others just take what the state gives them without reasoning or questioning. Ana doesn't just live like that.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. The author dividing the book into different parts makes it easier for the readers to follow. I also enjoyed the author's use of informal words, and using 'y' instead of 'i' makes the book unique. Though at first it was hard to understand what the writer was saying, which may put off some readers, it made the conversations lighter and more interesting.

I rate the book a good 4 out of 5 stars. The book doesn't get a perfect rating because it has a bittersweet ending, which left me wishing there could have been a better ending for Anastasia. I recommend this book to all science fiction and fantasy lovers. It has all the ingredients to give you an enjoyable experience. I also recommend this book to leaders, tech guys, and scientists. Though this is a fictional story, there are lessons to be learned. The book's editing is top-notch; I couldn't find a single error throughout its entirety.

To The Piper's Tune
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

The theme of artificial intelligence, with the risks and opportunities it brings, are inspiring many authors. In this occasion, the combination with Anastasia's brilliant human mind makes it particularly interesting. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ibraheem Rasheedat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Ibraheem Rasheedat »

The review of "Share To The Piper's Tune" by V.N. Castelo indicates that it is a captivating science fiction/fantasy novel set in a world controlled by AI algorithms. The protagonist, Anastasia, stands out with her unique mind and challenges the oppressive status quo. The book explores the dangers of suppressing free thought and showcases the importance of human agency. The reviewer praises Anastasia's character and the author's use of informal language. However, the bittersweet ending left them wishing for a better outcome for Anastasia. Overall, the book receives a rating of 4 out of 5 stars, making it a recommended read for science fiction and fantasy lovers, as well as leaders and tech enthusiasts. The editing is commended as flawless.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”