Review of Old World

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Clauson Justin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Review of Old World

Post by Clauson Justin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Old World" by Steven Turner.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Old World is a fantasy novel written by Steven Turner. The book follows John Living, a sixty-seven-year-old man who discovers the magical realm of the "Old World" and is drawn into an unexpected adventure.

When John is a young boy, he gets lost in the woods near his Aunt Bethany's house but is brought back by Bubba, an ogre. This was John's first interaction with magical creatures. Now an elderly widower, John encounters a wood sprite named Jeremiah, who tells him about the world he comes from. At a wedding, he befriends Lyle, who tells him about Apple Snafflers, and Rosa, with whom he forms a romantic connection and plans to date. John's curious nature, however, leads him to the Old World without a clear path home. Will John be able to return? What is Rosa's connection to the Old World? Find out in this interesting book.

I enjoyed many aspects of the book. It's filled with interesting characters who engage in humorous interactions that I found delightful. Jeremiah's first encounter with John was especially entertaining, and James teasing John and Rosa added a nice touch. The language used in the book is easy to follow. The way the Old World and the New World interacted in world-building was well done. The illustrations provided a glimpse into the author's imagination, enhancing the overall experience. Additionally, the inclusion of numerous poems throughout the book was another enjoyable element for me.

My least favorite thing about the book is the fact that there are characters that were introduced that I certainly would have loved to see more of. A good example is Charles, who appears in only two chapters. His entire story arc was so short. I also would have liked to see more of Shadrack earlier in the book. It would have made his role more impactful. However, none of these took away from the overall quality of the book.

I found only one error in this book. It was professionally edited. I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars for all the reasons already stated above. I recommend it to lovers of fantasy novels.

Old World
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Priya Murugesan »

A very honest review. I adore fantasy novels. Definitely adding this book to my shelves. This review urges me to explore John's world.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Neelam Sheikh 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Neelam Sheikh 1 »

"Old World" by Steven Turner is a dazzling excursion through a dystopian scene loaded up with risk, interest, and the versatility of the human soul. Set in a world crushed by a baffling disturbance, the story follows hero Jake as he explores through the remainders of progress looking for answers and reclamation. Turner's clear portrayals rejuvenate the ruined scenes, inspiring a feeling of both wonderment and fear as Jake experiences the leftovers of a world a distant memory.

What sets "Old World" separated is its investigation of moral equivocalness and the intricacies of human instinct even with affliction. Jake's subtle conflicts reflect the outer contentions he faces, making him an engaging and convincing hero. The supporting cast is similarly advanced, each with their own inspirations and blemishes that add profundity to the account.

The pacing of the novel is masterfully taken care of, with dramatic activity arrangements adjusted by calmer snapshots of thoughtfulness. Turner's exposition is rich yet open, bringing the peruser into the story from the absolute first page. As Jake dives further into the secrets of the Old World, the strain consistently mounts, coming full circle in a holding peak that leaves the peruser as eager and anxious as can be.

While "Old World" investigates natural dystopian topics, it does as such with a new point of view and a sharp eye for detail. Turner's reality building is vivid and convincing, illustrating a general public near the very edge of breakdown. The original's subjects of endurance, treachery, and reclamation reverberate long after the last page is turned, passing on the peruser with much to consider.

All in all, "Old World" is a must-peruse for enthusiasts of dystopian fiction, expressing a viewpoint inciting investigation of human instinct in outrageous conditions. With its convincing characters, reminiscent writing, and exciting plot, having an enduring impression is certain. Rating: 4.5/5.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

A novel that introduces the reader to a magical world can really fascinating. In this case, the protagonist had his first experience of that world when he was a young boy and then again many years later. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
George Nduuru
Favorite Book: Original Wisdom
Currently Reading: If... and other stories
Bookshelf Size: 50
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 3%

Post by George Nduuru »

This fantasy and adventurous novel can make a great read especially with added flavors of humor and imagination. Nice review.
Paris Kumar
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paris-kumar.html
Latest Review: 480 Codorus Street by Sandra L. Kearse-Stockton
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Paris Kumar »

Your thorough and insightful review of "Old World" by Steven Turner captures the enchanting essence of the novel's fantasy world and its engaging characters. Your appreciation for the humor, world-building, and overall quality of the book shines through, making your review both informative and compelling.

Thanks for sharing your reading experience with us!
The greatest part of a writer’s time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book.
—Samuel Johnson

I am happy to be a part of the OnlineBookClub.
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Post by Alex Lynn »

You appreciates various elements of the book, including the interesting characters, humorous interactions, engaging world-building, and the easy-to-follow language. The mention of entertaining encounters, such as Jeremiah's first interaction with John and the teasing between James, John, and Rosa, adds a personal touch to the review. Well done on this review.
Rohith Kumar Pakala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rohith-kumar-pakala.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rohith Kumar Pakala »

Thank you for your valuable insights, your review built interest in me to read this book. Great information is given by you about the book, thank you for that.
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

Thank you for your valuable insights about this book. You've explained about the book very well. I'll definitely add this to my reading list

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”