Review of Ancient of Genes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Behind the Eyes of Zylo Moon by David Nathaniel Nealis

Review of Ancient of Genes

Post by Merits Anih »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ancient of Genes" by Dan Gallagher.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Kevin Harrigan, a former military officer, found himself working as an assistant for Dr. Wentz, a researcher at Harvard University. One of Harrigan's motivations for doing the research is his brother Peter, who has Down syndrome. Another was to repay the Army scholarship he had received and transition back into civilian life, where he could pursue his passion for genetics. Through their work, Dr. Wentz made a groundbreaking discovery: a method to extract and revive ancient genetic material. Their research held the potential to unlock the secrets of reviving prehistoric traits of extinct species, including human ancestors. This breakthrough could pave the way for genetic treatments, revolutionizing medicine and human life as we know it. However, the duo's research took an unethical turn when it came to light that Dr. Wentz and Harrigan had been using university resources and donor eggs without proper authorization to create and subsequently destroy human fetuses. When the university's board of directors uncovered these activities, they swiftly convened and shut down the research program. It was good that Harrigan was spared his Ph.D. degree despite his involvement in the experiments.

Following the abrupt termination of their research, Kevin Harrigan received an envelope from an Iraqi diplomat representing the country's newly established government. The contents of the envelope hinted at the possibility of collaborative scientific projects between Iraq and Israel, with the aim of fostering peace between the two nations. Intriguingly, the proposal involved Dr. Bart Lloyd, who had gained fame for his extraordinary feat of capturing a living Yeti. However, there is a concern about the military using the project as a weapon. Then there is Minister Mon, who has his own personal objectives for the project, which Kevin and his team know nothing of and wouldn't have agreed to carry on with the project if they had known. Where, then, would this project lead humans? Pick a copy of Ancient of Genes by Dan Gallagher to find out.

This book honestly delivered more than I had expected. As I read this book, I had many questions running through my mind. If it were possible to bring my ancestors back with the same genes by growing them in the lab, would I want to do that? Does the world need humans from many generations past to meddle in our present affairs? Is it fair to them to bring them into this world like lab rats? It was presented as a means of fostering peace with good objectives, such as uncovering the basis of both positive and negative genetic traits and behaviors through direct observation and evolutionary comparisons. Is it possible that there will be little or no sinister military and political motives? There's also the fear of how this project and its future possibilities will affect the entire human genome. In due time, most of my questions were answered, but the suspense made it worthwhile.

I love how the author took the time to explain genetic modification in the book through conversations. In the initial pages of this book, when their research was recently halted, Kevin took time to explain the details of the work to his mother in the simplest way that a layperson could understand, and this helped me understand it, too. I really love and appreciate the illustrations that the author has included at the beginning of this book to show how animals and humans have evolved through time. It made it more interesting to read, made it easy for the story to be visualized, and provided a learning opportunity.

I also enjoyed the holistic review of science and religion in the book. It is with utmost pleasure that I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because I did not dislike anything about it. It was also exceptionally well-edited. Finally, I recommend the book to those who love reading science fiction and archeological and military thrillers.

Ancient of Genes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
fumbani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by fumbani »

Your detailed review of "Ancient of Genes" by Dan Gallagher provides a thorough insight into the book's plot, ethical dilemmas, and the author's approach to complex themes like genetic modification. The blend of science fiction, archaeology, and military thriller elements seems captivating. It's great that the author effectively explained genetic modification and included illustrations to enhance the reading experience. Your endorsement of the book with a 5-star rating and a recommendation for science fiction, archaeological, and military thriller enthusiasts adds valuable perspective for potential readers.
Nichol Lee Jackson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nichol-lee-jackson.html
Latest Review: Pop's by M. R. Gerbo
2024 Reading Goal: 36
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Nichol Lee Jackson »

Sounds like a good book. These are my favorite topics. I'd like to think we are prolonging people's lives.
Latest Review: Pop's by M. R. Gerbo
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Post by Alex Lynn »

The narrative seems to blend elements of science fiction, genetics, and ethical dilemmas, creating a thought-provoking and suspenseful story.
The summary of the initial premise, involving Kevin Harrigan's research motivations and the groundbreaking discovery of reviving ancient genetic material, sets the stage for a unique and compelling storyline. Well done on the review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

A novel that addresses the issues connected to genetic research and its ramifications is certainly interesting. In this case, the recovery of ancient DNA is connected to genetic modifications and medical research, with ethical and moral problems. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Clauson Justin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Post by Clauson Justin »

The introduction of genes and the research done by the duo adds beauty to the book. The storyline is amazing and the book appears to be well written. You wrote such a beautiful review of it.
Vinay Penubothu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinay-penubothu.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Vinay Penubothu »

Thank you for your detailed review! Your insights have piqued my interest, and I'm excited to dive into the book. Your review convinced me it's a must-read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts - they've inspired me to explore further.
Rohith Kumar Pakala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rohith-kumar-pakala.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rohith Kumar Pakala »

Thank you for your valuable insights, your review built interest in me to read this book. Great information is given by you about the book, thank you for that.
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

Thank you for your valuable insights about this book. You've explained about the book very well. I'll definitely add this to my reading list

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”