Review of AlCent Sagas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zanne Crystle
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanne-crystle.html
Latest Review: The Art of Being Difficult by William Chekhov

Review of AlCent Sagas

Post by Zanne Crystle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "AlCent Sagas" by James Crawford.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"AlCent Sagas: Book One - Formation" by James Crawford is a thrilling science fiction novel that takes you on an incredible interstellar journey filled with excitement, danger, and fascinating characters. The book is set in the Alpha Centauri system, where humanity has established multiple colonies on different planets. However, a well-organized insurgency threatens the fragile peace as it operates in the shadows, seeking to exploit a valuable resource and disrupt the balance of power.

The story revolves around James Van Wert, a fleet officer, who is assigned to a new ship and roped into a project involving a secret technology that could change the course of space warfare. Along with the threat from the mysterious insurgency, he must deal with a myriad of challenges aboard the ship he is assigned to.

I thoroughly enjoyed the character of James Van Wert; he is easy to respect and admire. His maturity, composure in challenging situations, and courteous demeanor, coupled with his intelligence and resourcefulness, make him a compelling figure. Despite facing adversity, he remains loyal and respectful to his superiors, even when they fail to reciprocate the same respect. He knows when to act as a friend and when to assert his authority, striking a balance that fosters a comfortable environment for his crew while also establishing clear leadership boundaries.

The story unfolds across multiple ships and locations, providing readers with a broad view of the universe. The book is written in the third person and portrays the story through the eyes of different characters. The characters in the book are well-crafted and multi-dimensional, with unique backgrounds, motivations, and behaviors.

One aspect of the book that stood out to me was the heavy use of military, scientific, and astrological terms. The use of these terms adds to the authenticity of the book but might be challenging for some people. The heavy science might require some additional research to fully grasp the concepts, making the reading experience somewhat demanding.

In my opinion, a glossary for the planets, ships, acronyms, and people would be a useful addition to the book and would improve the reading experience.

The book's most significant flaw is that it contains a few grammatical errors that somewhat detract from the reading experience. The book would benefit from another round of editing.

Overall, "AlCent Sagas: Book One - Formation" is a captivating military space adventure that takes you on a thrilling journey through space. Despite its minor flaws, the book is a solid read for science fiction lovers. I rate it 4 out of 5 stars, deducting a point for poor editing. I'm excited to find out where the story will go in the next part of the saga.

AlCent Sagas
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

Zanne Crystle wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 14:15 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "AlCent Sagas" by James Crawford.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The story revolves around James Van Wert, a fleet officer, who is assigned to a new ship and roped into a project involving a secret technology that could change the course of space warfare. Along with the threat from the mysterious insurgency, he must deal with a myriad of challenges aboard the ship he is assigned to.

One aspect of the book that stood out to me was the heavy use of military, scientific, and astrological terms. The use of these terms adds to the authenticity of the book but might be challenging for some people. The heavy science might require some additional research to fully grasp the concepts, making the reading experience somewhat demanding.

In my opinion, a glossary for the planets, ships, acronyms, and people would be a useful addition to the book and would improve the reading experience.

The book's most significant flaw is that it contains a few grammatical errors that somewhat detract from the reading experience. The book would benefit from another round of editing.

Overall, "AlCent Sagas: Book One - Formation" is a captivating military space adventure that takes you on a thrilling journey through space. Despite its minor flaws, the book is a solid read for science fiction lovers. I rate it 4 out of 5 stars, deducting a point for poor editing. I'm excited to find out where the story will go in the next part of the saga.

AlCent Sagas
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
This is an honest review of a captivating science-fiction book. James Van Wert has a strong and admirable character. the suggestion to include a glossary for the terms that are not common knowledge is a great idea. The constructive criticism of and the recommendation to improve the editing will help this book achieve 5-star status. :techie-studyinggray:
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Priya Murugesan »

The review made me want to read the book. The story seems interesting as I love science fictions.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Pranav Dewangan
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

AlCent Sagas: Book One - Formation' has thrilling interstellar journey, richly crafted characters like James Van Wert, and the intricate blend of military and scientific elements that promise a deep, immersive sci-fi adventure. Can't wait to see where this saga leads!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging space opera with an important element of military science fiction, so I hope the author does proper proofreading to prevent distractions. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

Thank you for your valuable insights about this book. You've explained about the book very well. I'll definitely add this to my reading list
Rohith Kumar Pakala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rohith-kumar-pakala.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rohith Kumar Pakala »

Thank you for your valuable insights, your review built interest in me to read this book. Great information is given by you about the book, thank you for that.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”