Review of Behind the Eyes of Zylo Moon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Isaac Oh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-oh.html
Latest Review: What I Hear When God Speaks by Allen J Brown Jr

Review of Behind the Eyes of Zylo Moon

Post by Isaac Oh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Behind the Eyes of Zylo Moon" by David Nath.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Are you a fantasy enthusiast? Do you love reading about the adventures of characters in alternate realms filled with action? Are you passionate about the struggles of mental health? If your answer is yes to all three questions, this psychological fantasy novel, which is the debut of David Nathaniel Nealis, is just right for you.

The story follows Zylo Moon, a seemingly ordinary boy. Hurt and vulnerable, weathered and beaten down by tragedies that coalesce into heartbreaking pain so deep and wide, Zylo builds an alternate reality to escape. As he oscillates between two worlds—reality and serenity—Zylo must learn to confront his recurrent pain and grief in the real world while battling a cold and relentless villain known as the puppeteer, who threatens the peace and tranquility of Serenity and even his reality. How does Zylo overcome his profound pain? Who is successful between the villain and the hero? Read up to find out.

It is not often that a debut writer captures a story using a combination of rich imaginative prowess and a blatantly strong evocation of mental health struggles. The interplay and blend of escapism, emotional pain, true love, resilience, friendship, and the portrayal of the long-standing battle between good and evil are remarkable, to say the least. The story is intensely character-driven. Whether in movies or books, character-driven storylines are winners because people are always invested in the journey of a fictional character. We root for them, cheer for them, cry with them, and support them, and in the end, we are charmed by how they become true overcomers in every sense of the word. This book also proves that characters do not have to be humans to be lovable.

Being someone who has had intense mental health struggles, Zylo Moon is the most relatable fictional character I've ever met. Vivid storytelling and authenticity are both instruments Nealis employs to help readers delve deep into their psyche. His imagination exerts a powerful influence on his reality, as it does for most of us, and his infinite sadness helps readers empathize with all that he undergoes. Yet what shines with undeniable incandescence in this book is his character development. While the ending of the book is unconventional and unexpected, the most laudable importance is that Zylo embraces self-acceptance and self-love, and this brings him peace. As a tale of self-discovery, it helps readers reflect on their own lives, and it reminds us that the human spirit is built to withstand adversity, for this is where resilience thrives the most. This is my main reason for giving this book 5 out of 5 stars

Some advantageous elements of this book were the chaptered illustrations. They had so much depth and beauty, giving you a taste of what to expect as the narrative proceeds. The editing should also be applauded. I found just one spelling error in 215 pages. Other than that, no spelling or grammatical errors were detrimental to my reading process. The only thing I disliked about this book was the death of Zylo's soul mate. Not only was it unnecessary for the entire story arc, but it was also unrealistic, especially when you consider the circumstances and the narrative around that character's death. The book's writing style is good enough for a debut writer, but I believe it can still be improved upon. 

Characterized by a good plot, developed characters, relatable themes, and impressive storytelling, the novel Behind the Eyes of Zylo Moon by Nealis has automatically clinched a spot on the list of stories that can ignite the most intelligent conversations on the human condition in the face of adversity.

I recommend this book not just for fantasy enthusiasts but for anyone seeking to understand the intricate mysteries of mental health struggles.

Behind the Eyes of Zylo Moon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sandre Lamar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandre-lamar.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Sandre Lamar »

I must say, it's an absolute gem! The characters were so well-developed, and the storyline kept me hooked from start to finish.I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a captivating and thought- provoking read!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a terrific fantasy novel with adventures in an alternate realm and also the depiction of a protagonist such as Zylo, with his mental struggle. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Clauson Justin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Post by Clauson Justin »

The storyline is fascinating and the book contains a lot of themes such as love, resilience and friendship. I wonder what Zylo's alternate reality looks like. I can't wait to read the book.
Vinay Penubothu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinay-penubothu.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Vinay Penubothu »

Thank you for your detailed review! Your insights have piqued my interest, and I'm excited to dive into the book. Your review convinced me it's a must-read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts - they've inspired me to explore further.
Rohith Kumar Pakala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rohith-kumar-pakala.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rohith Kumar Pakala »

Thank you for your valuable insights, your review built interest in me to read this book. Great information is given by you about the book, thank you for that.
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

You've explained very well about the book and you have mentioned the content of the book very nicely. I'll definitely start reading this book.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”