Review of Maya‘s Quest

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zanne Crystle
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanne-crystle.html
Latest Review: The Art of Being Difficult by William Chekhov

Review of Maya‘s Quest

Post by Zanne Crystle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Maya‘s Quest" by Shireen Magedin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Maya's Quest" is an exciting science fiction novel by Shireen Magedin. The story takes you on a journey through time, following Maya, the daughter of a chief in an ancient Indus Valley village, and Marvi, a woman from a different time. They form a strong bond that transcends time and space, but both face significant challenges from their respective worlds and the dangers of meddling with history. The book features a well-developed cast of characters, a deep exploration of culture, and intricate relationship dynamics, making it an immersive reading experience.

The book portrays some great relationships between its characters. The friendship between Maya and Sapna is heartwarming and well-portrayed. I also enjoyed the sibling dynamic between Marvi and Sumra, along with their camaraderie with Andaz. The way the characters in these two relationships trusted, supported, and protected each other during difficult situations added depth to the story. The author beautifully explores different types of relationships, such as those between lovers, siblings, parents and children, friends, strangers, and even enemies. It is a captivating look at human connections that will keep you engaged.

I appreciated how the book portrayed village life. Like any community, there are always people who can make it either wonderful or challenging. The book explores the dynamics and cultural elements of the village, which adds an authentic touch to the story.

The LGBTQ representation in the book is commendable. The relationships in the book are endearing and sensitively handled, adding a refreshing dimension to the story.

The book also includes a glossary at the back, which provides definitions and explanations of various cultural, historical, and natural elements associated with the story. This is a valuable resource for readers, although I must admit I wasn’t aware of the glossary until I finished reading the book. So, for those like me who tend to skip the table of contents, be aware that there is a glossary at the back of the book.

The map at the beginning of the book, showing the layout of the Indus Valley Civilization, is a thoughtful addition. However, it could have been stylized to fit the hand-drawn aesthetic of maps that are usually in books.

The only major drawback of the book is the grammatical errors scattered throughout it. While they do not detract from the overall story, they indicate that the book could benefit from another round of editing.

In conclusion, "Maya's Quest" is a compelling book that offers a unique blend of science fiction, historical exploration, and relationship dynamics. I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars, deducting one star for the grammar issues. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys science fiction with a touch of romance and cultural exploration.

Maya‘s Quest
View: on Bookshelves
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Post by Alex Lynn »

The review of "Maya's Quest" by Shireen Magedin provides a compelling overview of the novel, highlighting its strengths in character development, relationship dynamics, cultural exploration, and LGBTQ representation. The mention of Maya's and Marvi's time-crossed bond adds an intriguing dimension to the plot, promising an engaging science fiction experience.
vivien1022
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivien1022.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by vivien1022 »

Wow, "Maya's Quest" sounds like a wild ride through time! I love how you talked about Maya's friendship cutting across different eras – that's some serious time-traveling friendship goals right there! And the whole village life thing? Totally felt like I was right there with them, experiencing everything firsthand.

Also, big shoutout to the author for keeping things real with diverse relationships and LGBTQ representation. It's so important to see that in stories. Plus, that glossary at the back? Lifesaver! Although, gotta admit, I totally missed it until after I finished the book.

But hey, every story's got its bumps, right? Those pesky grammatical errors might bug some folks, but they didn't spoil the fun for me. Overall, "Maya's Quest" sounds like a rollercoaster of sci-fi, history, and heartwarming friendships. I'm definitely adding it to my reading list!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This science fiction novel offers a great adventure through time that includes different cultures and the development of relationships, so I hope the author does proper proofreading to prevent distractions whle reading such a complex story. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Clauson Justin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Post by Clauson Justin »

I love books with storylines that include time travelling. I've always wondered the possibility of time travelling in the real world and I enjoy books on the topic. I would love to read this.
Vinay Penubothu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinay-penubothu.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Vinay Penubothu »

Thank you for your detailed review! Your insights have piqued my interest, and I'm excited to dive into the book. Your review convinced me it's a must-read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts - they've inspired me to explore further.
Rohith Kumar Pakala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rohith-kumar-pakala.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rohith Kumar Pakala »

Thank you for your valuable insights, your review built interest in me to read this book. Great information is given by you about the book, thank you for that.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”