Review of Dark Ascensions

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Behind the Eyes of Zylo Moon by David Nathaniel Nealis

Review of Dark Ascensions

Post by Merits Anih »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dark Ascensions" by CMour B.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Alystra was born and raised in Nebraska, experiencing a good upbringing until a fateful day when she was fourteen years old. What began as a casual outing with friends to grab a pizza transformed into a life-altering event as a malevolent force known as the Issachon, a primordial embodiment of evil, inexplicably manifested within her through a spell that she does not know its source. As the story began, Bendahrin Casthay sought out Alystra, bearing grave news—the visionaries of Palestre had seen Alystra's emergence in numerous recent prophecies, stoking widespread trepidation over her influence.

However, is the news the only reason why Bendahrin sought Alystra? As the Issachon, is Alystra who people think she is? She has been searching and trying to find out how she transformed from a human to an Issachon. She could use her power, but she didn't want to because of what would happen to the universe if she used magic to figure out how she was transformed. But she is Issachon, the primal evil, one of the top three primal forces. How is she able to sometimes defy her nature, which is evil and destruction? What makes her different? To find out, get a copy of Dark Ascensions by CMOUR B. It is the first book in the Issachon[ series.

I love how this book starts with suspense. Alystra was to meet a man in a pizzeria, and she was kind of skeptical about it because of her past. Bits and bits of information were given about the past and how and why she came to be at the pizzeria while the present was being fully developed. I so much loved this style, and it made it impossible for me to drop the book once I started. There were many things I didn't see coming, and when those surprises came, I was happy. The characters in this book were well-built. Characters such as Alex Scurven, Erin, Dr. Themblen, and Rish were unique and well-developed. The antagonists were not easy to decipher, and I appreciate how they all made the plot spectacular. Alystra herself was more than I had anticipated her to be. I cannot wait to read the next book in the series to continue the journey.

The book is told from a third-person POV, which gave me the chance to understand all the characters' actions and reactions. There are different worlds and travels between those worlds. This book represents the point where magic, science, and technology meet. Another aspect I loved about this book was the professional editing. If you love books about magic and mages, I recommend this one to you. Anyone who loves fantasy books would enjoy it.

The only thing I disliked about this book is that sometimes some statements are written in Parin, the language of people from Palestre. It was a bit frustrating for me because there were no translations for it in the book in order for me to know what the characters said or the message being conveyed. However, those statements do not occur often and are not enough for me to remove a star from the rating. Because of the positive aspects I have stated above, I am rating this book 5 out of 5 stars.

Dark Ascensions
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

Mixing magic and science is tricky and this novel seems to be a successful case. The well-constructed characters add to this fantasy story's strength. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Saliha Hussain
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful In Life
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saliha-hussain.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg

Post by Saliha Hussain »

This review of "Dark Ascensions" offers a captivating glimpse into the suspenseful and intricately woven storyline, drawing readers into Alystra's journey from the very beginning. The reader appreciates the well-developed characters and the seamless blending of magic, science, and technology in the narrative. Despite minor frustrations with untranslated statements, they rate the book 5 out of 5 stars for its overall excellence. It's clear that this fantasy novel holds great appeal for fans of magic and adventure. Well done!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”