Review of Journey of Souls

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Behind the Eyes of Zylo Moon by David Nathaniel Nealis

Review of Journey of Souls

Post by Merits Anih »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Journey of Souls" by Rebecca Warner.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Lady Alazais ruled Mirefoix as Countess for eleven years before the Count returned all of a sudden. Two years after they went to Raymond of Antioch's aid, the Count, the lady's husband, returned on All Souls Day after it was reported that they had all died in a shipwreck. Only thirteen out of a hundred returned, and their son, their heir, did not return with them. Mirefoix was hers by blood and the Count's only by marriage, but he was a harsh ruler to both her and the people of Mirefoix. On the night of his return, the Count died. But did he die of natural causes?

Her commander, Josfred, fell seriously ill all of a sudden, and the Countess needed a new commander who was loyal to her. The next in line and the only one capable of taking up the duties of a commander is Bon, the alleged bastard son of the Count. However, he would not pledge loyalty to her for some reason. He also suspects foul play concerning his father's death and wants to avenge him. This led her to use a magic spell that would move a loyal soul into a capable body for her, but at a great cost. Will her actions be worth it? Will this magic spell work?

Journey of Souls by Rebecca Warner was one of the books I read this year that went on to satisfy me beyond my expectations. This is the kind of book that should be adapted into a movie. The story started in November 1206 but somehow tiptoed into the 21st century and back. The book explored Catholicism in that era, magic apparitions, the summoning of a person's soul into another body, etc. It is divided into three parts that are progressive with the story. The plot was well developed, and the element of suspense was well delivered.

I love the author's writing style. The story was told from different characters' points of view, which gave me access to their thoughts and motives. I knew the thoughts on Bon, the Lady, Garsenda, etc. From the notes before the book that prepared me for the story and the notes after the story, I could tell that the author put in a lot of work and was intentional about making this book spectacular. The maps at the beginning of the book demonstrating where the story took place were very helpful for me in understanding the story, and I appreciate the author for this. I loved every single bit of this book, and I rate it 5 out of 5 stars. I did not encounter any errors while reading it, which shows that it was exceptionally well-edited. I recommend Journey of Souls by Rebecca Warner to those who love historical fiction, fantasy, and mystery. There were no negative aspects to this book for me.

Journey of Souls
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

A classic fantasy in a medieval setting with a great intrigue and magic seems like a lot of fun to read. The fact that it's enriched by maps and notes improves its readability. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”