Review of The Cursed

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Olga Markova
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Review of The Cursed

Post by Olga Markova »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Cursed" by Beth Schluter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever been spellbound? This is how I felt reading The Cursed: Servants of the Wheel Book 3 by Beth Schluter. The story unfolds on a farm near the enchanted Deschawnee Forest. Little Luca, a farmer’s son, is looking after the goats in the pasture, with his little brother Jono in tow. They get caught in heavy rain and find shelter under the overhang of a large oak at the edge of the forest. Suddenly, Luca loses sight of the goats, climbs the tree to see if he can spot them, and goes missing. Meanwhile, a group of magi, known as the Servants of the Wheel, are mounting their winged horses and leaper birds. Before long, they will be on their perilous journey to the Library of Magical Arts to learn about the curse of Deschawnee Forest, so they can lift the curse and destroy the invading evil. But will they succeed?

The Cursed is the third book in the Servants of the Wheel series, but it reads perfectly standalone. The plot is fast-moving, suspenseful, action-driven, and full of magical twists and turns. The descriptions of magical artifacts and the magical combat of the good magi with the evil monsters are so vivid that I felt like watching an awesome film. But the story offers much more than amusing magical stunts. It focuses on the standoff between good and evil and demonstrates how instrumental friendship and mutual support are in perilous and hard missions. But most of all, I liked how Beth transitioned the jaw-dropping climax into the sequel.

The only aspect of this book that invites improvement is typographical errors. Having this brilliant book professionally edited would take it to the highest level of excellence. Meanwhile, much as I want to give this spellbinding fable a perfect rating, the lack of professional editing compels me to deduct a star and rate this book 4 out of 5 stars.

I highly recommend this awesome magical fantasy to children and adults who enjoy fantasy and adventure novels. The publisher recommends this book to children aged 11 or older, but I think that fans of J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter will enjoy Beth Schluter’s The Cursed, regardless of age.

The Cursed
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t like to begin a series anywhere besides with the first book even if the volume can be read as a standalone. I do, however, enjoy a book with such vivid descriptions that it is easy to visualize all of the circumstances. Thanks!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

Some classic tropes of the fantasy genre are used to create what seems like an engaging novel full of magic, so I hope the author does another round of proofreading to make it excellent. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Osvaldo Borghese
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: On the Trail of the Unseen by Lynne Armstrong-Jones
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

A pity for typographical errors, maybe with professional proofreading, this book will become a must-read for the readers of this genre. Thanks for the professional review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”