Review of Metallic Soul

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tejas Koli
Favorite Book: Alice In Dreamland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tejas-koli.html
Latest Review: Blood Vengeance by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 110%

Review of Metallic Soul

Post by Tejas Koli »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Metallic Soul" by Matthew Harrington.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In his debut novel, "Metallic Soul," author Matthew Harrington weaves a complex futuristic mystery that will leave readers guessing until the very end. Set on a colonized Mars of the future, the story follows police officer Anna as she investigates a threat from the Red Skull gang to detonate a stolen cold fusion bomb. But Anna harbors a secret: she has the ability to control metal like a second skin.

Right from the intriguing opening dream sequence, readers are thrown into a surreal and dangerous world. Anna's recurring nightmares hint at a forgotten past and cryptic promises, yet they leave more questions than answers. As she wakes and begins her day, small details about her life are revealed—her friendships, daily routine, and suspension from duty all add layers to her character. When called into an urgent briefing, the true threat is uncovered, and Anna is pulled back into action.

While the overall plot moves at a steady pace, Harrington takes his time fleshing out the futuristic yet believable world he has created. Descriptions of the colonized Mars bring the setting vividly to life, from the bustling cityscapes to Anna's high-rise apartment. Secondary characters like her police colleagues are also sketched with just enough detail to feel three-dimensional without detracting from Anna's story. The editing of the book is well done; there are no grammatical errors, which gives a seamless read. The core mystery truly kicks into high gear in the latter half, as Anna's dreams spill dangerously over into reality. Strange characters like the enigmatic Sara and the sinister metal "Skull" leave readers with more questions than answers about Anna's past and true purpose. Lavish details paint a vivid picture of Anna's power and the nightmarish situations she finds herself in. The pacing accelerates as revelations are uncovered, yet more layers are added to the overarching puzzle. There are no negative points to mention.

With its intricately imagined world, compelling heroine, and twist-filled mystery plot, "Metallic Soul" is sure to captivate fans of futuristic thrillers and leave them eagerly awaiting the next installment. Matthew Harrington demonstrates strong storytelling skills in balancing character development and fast-paced action. Overall, this is a highly engaging and imaginative debut from a promising new sci-fi voice. I would rate it 5 out of 5.

Metallic Soul
View: on Bookshelves
Osvaldo Borghese
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: On the Trail of the Unseen by Lynne Armstrong-Jones
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

I like this kind of book because they are very engaging and original. This story could be the starting point for an interesting TV series. thanks for your review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am intrigued by a good mystery as well as a futuristic story. Sci-fi is one of my favorite genres so this is probably something that I would enjoy reading. Thanks!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

A science fiction thriller set on Mars with a protagonist who has her own problems and some special powers is certainly intriguing to me. If this turns into a series, I'll be looking into it. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”