Review of Writers of the Future Volume 40

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1655
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: The North Factor by Ben Schneider
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Review of Writers of the Future Volume 40

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Writers of the Future Volume 40" by L. Ron Hubbard, Nancy Kress, S. M. Stirling, Gregory Benford, and 12 Award-Winning Debut Authors.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Writers of the Future Volume 40 by L. Ron Hubbard, Nancy Kress, S. M. Stirling, Gregory Benford, and 12 Award-Winning Debut Authors is an anthology of original science fiction, fantasy, and speculative horror stories. Twelve top stories from the Writers of the Future program, along with artwork by Illustrators of the Future program winners, are present on every page of this edition. Included in the book are essays by Gregory Benford, Bob Eggleton, L. Ron Hubbard, and Dean Wesley Smith. Their contribution provides inspiration for aspiring writers.

Each of the stories includes a brief biography of the author and the illustrator prior to the content. Each short story has a clear beginning, middle, and end. The writing tips from professional authors are enlightening without being condescending in any way. Writers of the Future Volume 40 includes guidelines for entering quarterly contests. The contest winners advance to become finalists in an annual award ceremony.

I found this book both entertaining and informative. The Edge of Where My Light is Cast was my favorite story. Sky McKinnon gave an artificial intelligence entity self-awareness. The entity is searching for its creator, and the journey is full of detail. Jennifer Hellen’s Nonzero was shocking. The story of making a decision that will alter your chances of survival is compelling. The options challenge morals and recognize fragile thoughts about mortality. The vivid details in each story made every piece easy to envision. The stories in the anthology deliver messages on themes like self-awareness, decision-making, and morality, which were self-reflective thoughts.

There is nothing negative to say about Writers of the Future Volume 40. L. Ron Hubbard includes his advice on writing science fiction. According to his insight, writing provides the opportunity for creation, expression, and effective communication. According to multiple contest judges, a story resonates with readers when it feels authentic and purposeful. The guidelines for the contest are simple, and entering is free. The Writers of the Future contest has been ongoing for the past 40 years, with over nine hundred winners.

I rate Writers of the Future Volume 40 five out of five stars. Each of the twelve stories appeals to a variety of readers. The advice makes sense and provides a way to “get a foot in the door” to becoming a recognized writer. The creativity of the stories is beyond what I expected. The biographies were interesting and showcased the authors and artists well. Exploring the bonus content felt like uncovering a treasure trove to enhance my own work.

I recommend this book to a mature audience who appreciates thought-provoking themes and creative stories in the genres of science fiction, fantasy, and speculative horror. Aspiring writers and artists will benefit this book, and I believe it will inspire future contestants to perfect their ideas into a story worth recognizing.

Writers of the Future Volume 40
View: on Bookshelves
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Prohlife Jobs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prohlife-jobs.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Prohlife Jobs »

This sounds incredible and of course highly valuable for aspiring writers. I also really enjoyed reading your review!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Miedo a Subir de Peso: Qué es. Por qué lo tienes. Cómo reprogramarlo
Bookshelf Size: 2403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Isn't L. Ron Hubbard the founder of Scientology? Is that just a name coincidence?
Leaving that aside, it seems like a fabulous opportunity for amateur writers to get their work out there!
Great review!
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1655
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: The North Factor by Ben Schneider
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda wrote: 04 Apr 2024, 09:54 Isn't L. Ron Hubbard the founder of Scientology? Is that just a name coincidence?
Leaving that aside, it seems like a fabulous opportunity for amateur writers to get their work out there!
Great review!
Name Coincidence. He died in 1986 but left his estate to support the Writers of The Future program into perpetuity.
I am doing the writing program and I will try submitting to one of the contests. I have a basic idea of what I will be writing currently.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Miedo a Subir de Peso: Qué es. Por qué lo tienes. Cómo reprogramarlo
Bookshelf Size: 2403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Stephanie Runyon wrote: 04 Apr 2024, 19:22
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda wrote: 04 Apr 2024, 09:54 Isn't L. Ron Hubbard the founder of Scientology? Is that just a name coincidence?
Great review!
Name Coincidence. He died in 1986 but left his estate to support the Writers of The Future program into perpetuity.
I am doing the writing program and I will try submitting to one of the contests. I have a basic idea of what I will be writing currently.
Best of luck, my friend! ☘️
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 431
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by NetMassimo »

Stephanie Runyon wrote: 04 Apr 2024, 19:22
Great review!
No coincidence: that's indeed the Ron Hubbard who founded Scientology, who moved from writing science fiction to writing... well, you decide what.
Ciao :)
Massimo
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 431
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by NetMassimo »

I see that there are names that have become very important in science fiction as the authors of the stories included in this anthology. I read many anthologies that include selections of the best stories of the year or of some science fiction masters, so I'm interested in this series as well. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”