Review of Fierce

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1655
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: The North Factor by Ben Schneider
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Review of Fierce

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fierce" by James Kemp.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Jason Kemp’s Fierce is an adventure story featuring Yngvild the Fierce. Yngvild grew up in Straven and was an accomplished archer. She was loyal to Noren, an orphan foundling her father, Old Bjorn, had taken in as a baby. Late one evening, a strange ship appeared. The ship belongs to the Mangadlese, who requested permission to stay for two days. During their stay, Arald questions Yngvild about what living on the island was like, claiming he traveled the world to learn about other cultures. After he leaves, Old Bjorn takes Yngvild to his private study and gives her an amulet. The amulet would protect Yngvild with Malfin's power as long as she prayed to the goddess above all others.

When the Mangadlese ship rushes to leave, the King's Seagull pursues the ship. The villagers watch as a smaller boat rows to shore. Helga Trollslayer greets Old Bjorn, while Yngvild wonders how he knows the woman. Old Bjorn admits that Lady Helga is her mother and that he is not her father. Lady Helga asks Yngvild to join her in Kronstadt. Old Bjorn, Yngvild, and Noren travel with Lady Helga to the capital. Upon arrival in Kronstadt, Lady Helga and Old Bjorn reveal that Yngvild and Noren are 'heroes,' a select group blessed with diverse abilities by gods. However, heroes are not always stable beings, especially if the deity who blesses them is the god of death and destruction.

Fierce is full of action and suspense. Yngvild is typically content following others, but when faced with differing perspectives, she struggles with doubt. She believes Noren is her intended life partner, but his feelings for her don’t seem to be as strong. The unpredictable plot led Yngvild to meet intriguing people. For example, Jerre, a cavalry soldier, should guard Yngvild as a captive. He was extremely loyal, but Yngvild’s bravery in battle challenged his loyalty to his troops. Every moment features exceptional detail. I could envision the sunsets, feel the rocking of the ship, and smell the disgusting condition of the city alleys that Yngvild navigates.

There are a few negative parts I encountered. There were many errors in the book, showing a need for another round of editing. The name Olaf is used for multiple characters in the book. There was a captain of a ship, a warrior in Straven, and a boy from a trading post who all had the name Olaf. There were some conversations where it was unclear who was talking. This happened more often when more than two people were talking. The last problem I had was switching between points of view. In one moment, Yngvild narrates the story of the first person. Then, in the same paragraph, it describes Yngvild as the third person.

I rate Fierce three out of five stars. The potential for this book to be impressive is undeniable. I removed two stars for the editing and point-of-view shifts. The unique storyline and the relatable female protagonist add to the book's appeal. Yngvild's emotions are authentic, which makes it easy to connect to her thoughts.

Fierce will appeal to young adults who like magic, mythology, and adventure books. The profanity and violence may offend some readers. The story’s intrigue will keep readers questioning which person is telling Yngvild the truth. Is Old Bjorn right? Is Lady Helga trustworthy?

Fierce
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Osvaldo Borghese
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 75%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

Mythological books are generally difficult to read, in my opinion, especially because the stories contain a lot of unusual names, not easy to remember- For example, if you read stories about Valhalla or ancient northern and Scandinavian culture books, you will go crazy to understand who is who and who is the son of who. I like this kind of tale but I admit that it's not a relaxing reading. Pity for too many errors.Thanks for your detailed review.
Bright Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bright Rose »

Very interesting
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 431
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel with great potential in need for more editing to obtain an engaging fantasy story full of magic and adventure. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Miedo a Subir de Peso: Qué es. Por qué lo tienes. Cómo reprogramarlo
Bookshelf Size: 2403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Not understanding who's talking is a pet peeve of mine. I think it can be easily corrected, so I hope the author considers your comments. Otherwise, the mythological aspect makes it interesting. Is it based on Norse mythology? And it's hard to find relatable female characters.
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1655
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: The North Factor by Ben Schneider
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Not exactly Norse mythology..I would think something along the lines of Gaelic but the book doesn't specify it
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
williams Emerald
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Cackling of the Crows
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-emerald.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by williams Emerald »

The dynamic between Yngvild and Jerre, the cavalry soldier, seems particularly interesting. Loyalty being tested in the face of bravery adds depth to their interactions and highlights the complexities of allegiance in times of conflict.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”