Review of On the Precipice

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Review of On the Precipice

Post by Mayang Bature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "On the Precipice" by Brianna MacMahon.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Imperium, a planetary civilization that split from the Core due to differing church beliefs, is now thriving as an independent colony. Their government is divided into seven factions, each headed by a Lord Regent. Lord Regents are Keepers who have graduated from one of the prestigious Keeper schools. They are assisted by Prophates, church-assigned advisers. To become a Lord Regent or hold any prestigious office, a Keeper must belong to one of three political parties: Expansionists (the ruling party), Affiliates, or Grounders (minorities). The election season has arrived, and the struggle for political power has resumed.

Raelynn, a recent graduate, or Audilla, was surprised to learn that the Lord Regent of Diplomacy, Levine Liston, had opted to be her tutor. A Lord Regent taking on an Audilla had never occurred in Imperium history, and the higher-ups were opposed to the act. This allowed Raelynn to work with a well-known mentor while also exploring New Caelus, Imperium's capital. Cyno Banner, the Lord Regent of War and Defense and an Expansionist, had a long-standing rivalry with Levine Liston, an Affiliate. He believed that everything Liston did, including taking on an Audilla, was part of a plot to undermine his leadership of the Assembly. To make matters worse, Liston was actively pursuing peace talks with the Civitans, another faction attempting to secede from the Core and declare independence. It did not help that they were involved in the Glass War years ago against the Imperialists. Not everyone was pleased with Liston's decision in this matter. The other Lord Regents and Prophates each had their own noble or not-so-noble goals to pursue. Now that election day is approaching, with determination, greed, and betrayal in the mix, one can only wonder how it will all play out.

"On the Precipice (New Caelus Book 1)" featured proper world-building and well-developed characters without devoting too much time to any one aspect. I appreciated the novel's straightforward approach. Each of the seven Lord Regents, along with their Prophates, was given some screentime to highlight their backstories and express their motivations. Banner and Liston went at it like politicians, using the media to sway public opinion. This aspect was enjoyable because it could be both tense and funny at times. Banner's Prophate, Kosabeus, was the leader of the Prophates and had a very sharp tongue. Banner's explosive temper was always met with a clever remark from Kosaebus, which hindered executing some of his rash decisions. Kosabeus was likely the only one who could keep Banner in check.

The gradual progression and description of events made the world-building feel very familiar. Every reference was followed by an explanation as to why it was that way. Liston's interest in Raelynn, the glass war, and the people's desire for new leadership were all addressed, allowing me to better understand what was going on. It made sense how different people were affected by different events based on their level of participation. It was amazing how the author created this world, with all of the characters and their personal stories. I was truly immersed in this world, always eager to find out what happened next.

I honestly have nothing negative to say about this book. Despite its slow start, I thought it was necessary for the gradual development of the world and the overall description of global affairs. Brianna MacMahon's "On the Precipice (New Caelus Book 1)" deserves a perfect 5 out of 5 stars for its well-thought-out story and flawless execution. I am hooked and looking forward to the next book in the series. With only one objective error that I discovered, I am confident that this book was thoroughly edited. This book is ideal for readers who enjoy delicate world-building and political affairs.

On the Precipice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
As long as there is a concept of victors, the vanquished will always exist.

~Uchiha M.
Osvaldo Borghese
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 75%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

This book should be part of a series, so I think that to have a better understanding of the whole story will be necessary to read the other books of the series too. thanks for your nice review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel seems to offer a complex tapestry of politics and religion. I don't mind a slow start if that's useful to create an engaging story with strong foundations. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”