Review of Gods and Monsters

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lisa P Cowling
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The one that kills you by Rick Rothermel

Review of Gods and Monsters

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gods and Monsters" by Jaiden Baynes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Gods and Monsters by Jaiden Baynes is a captivating work of fiction that explores the world of Greek mythology through the eyes of Terra, a character striving to bring peace to a realm where gods, humans, and monsters dwell together.

Terra, an immortal nature goddess with exceptional powers, had siblings named after planets like Neptune and Jupiter. She cherished her creations and was known for her intelligence, strength, and honesty. One day, Terra met Typhon, who joined her in sparring sessions. Typhon, driven by a desire to surpass Terra, asked her to teach him how to become stronger. Despite knowing the risks, Terra agreed and began training him. However, Typhon eventually grew rebellious and challenged Terra. After a fierce battle, Terra emerged victorious. She then dedicated herself to cleaning up the aftermath of Typhon's actions. Just when she thought peace had returned, the universe faced new threats from monsters.

The author's unique approach to dividing the story into "acts" and "tales" creates a captivating and enthralling reading experience. The "acts" are like self-contained stories, while the "tales" weave together to create a larger story. The plot is intricate and engaging, with well-developed characters, especially Terra. The world-building is rich and detailed, with its own rules and unique elements, such as the various magical powers and microcosms. The book was filled with gripping action-packed scenes, showcasing intense and thrilling battles that kept me on the edge of my seat.

While the book had engaging action and fighting scenes, the third-person point of view limited the exploration of the characters' emotions to their fullest potential. At the beginning of the story, the author often interjected explanations about the characters' motives or emotions after statements, making them feel less interesting and predictable.

I would give this book 4 out of 5 stars for its exceptional editing quality. The spacing and font choices were easy on the eyes, enhancing readability. However, the book's extensive use of complex vocabulary required frequent reference to a dictionary, which ultimately hindered the book's pace and overall coherence. 

I highly recommend Gods and Monsters to fans of sci-fi books, Greek mythology, and magical powers who are in search of an enchanting and mystical journey within the realm of Greek mythology. They will thoroughly enjoy the magical essence woven throughout the story. Additionally, for those interested in expanding their vocabulary and discovering new words, this book offers a valuable opportunity for linguistic enrichment.

Gods and Monsters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by NetMassimo »

A fantasy story based on Greek mythology with magic and mysticism can be a fascinating experience, even if it requires a knowledge of words that are not used very much. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Runan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S. Lee
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 150%

Post by Runan »

This book’s intricate and engaging plot draws my attention, and I love reading heavy vocabulary-laden books. It makes me think of the author’s grip on the language. Thanks for a detailed review of this book.
Runan

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”