Review of A New War

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3055
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Arc by M. E. Lange

Review of A New War

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A New War" by Alexander Farah.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Ahmid and Salal were dispatched to investigate the peculiar event reported in the Snowy Mountains beyond Alhayit, a colossal, impenetrable barrier erected to repel the army of the dead. In Sidos, Malia, who had witnessed the strange flash of light and unbearable screaming, recounts the incident to them before Ahmid and Salal resume their journey beyond the wall. Due to centuries of peace in Nataaros and the apparent absence of the army of the dead, the wall had been abandoned. Fortunately, the two soldiers discover that the gates are still operational. Unbeknownst to them, Ahmid, who is composed and brave, even doubting the existence of such an army, will never return. Unfortunately, he was not the only one who had ceased believing in the myth of the army of the dead. Did they make the right decision?

Twenty-five years after the Scandosian Civil War, where Fares played a crucial role in ending the Scandosian siege of Beiros, trouble is brewing. Nataaros faces not only an imminent threat from the army of the dead but also a potential conflict with the elven citizens of Scandos, who are demanding either more representation in the senate or complete autonomy. With Rafiq and Fares at his side, along with Melhel, Fares’ nephew, the king is compelled to decide once again what to do. History repeats as Al Eelam, the leading Riosian scientist, is back. What is his aim this time? A New War by Alexander Farah captivates with its unpredictable conflicts. Initially focused on the army of the dead, the author slowly introduces Alexandrosian politics and tension with the Scandosians, which keep escalating, further enriching the plot.

The story is more than just a fantasy adventure; I found it to contain some bits of social satire as well. For example, Rafiq agrees with Fares’ remarks that some of the politicians surrounding the king did not have any hands-on experience with the positions they had been given. For instance, Al Aanif, who was the overseer of the army, had no experience in war, leaving every aspect of planning to the generals and others like Rafiq, who is the current ‘Sword of the King’. How true is this? And how many wars are started by people who will never be involved directly or have to bear any significant losses that result from such wars? But this is just one of the aspects that I liked about the book, and it does not imply that this is the only element that readers will find. This is an enthralling fantasy book, and there is much more that is associated with this specific genre that readers will find fascinating.

A New War is a fascinating novel, and there is absolutely nothing I disliked about it. The conversations are, at times, witty and enlightening. I liked the constant banter between Melhel and Prince Sirhan; although they did not see eye-to-eye at first and disagreed on some issues, they knew they had to learn to embrace each other, as they would need each other in the future. Regardless, his royal position did not save the crown prince from Melhel’s brutal honesty, which, at times, would deflate his ego, but that is why the king preferred that he was close to his son. The minor errors I encountered did not detract from the overall enjoyment of the story, and the ending was a major twist from what I had anticipated. Accordingly, I rate this book five out of five stars.

A New War
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Latest Review: Arc by M. E. Lange
SAYANTAN KARMAKAR
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SAYANTAN KARMAKAR »

I wanted to mention that, while I don't usually read fiction, I couldn't put A New War down after I started reading it a few months ago. The book's characters come from a range of working-class backgrounds, and there is some hilarious repartee as well as a touch of romance. The writing is superb, with the goal of always engaging my imagination. If you're a Lebanese reader, the author gives you a sense of home by referencing his Lebanese ancestry throughout the story. The book presents various perspectives on politics, violence, hatred, murder, love, and family.
Raymonda Onwuka 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka-1.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Raymonda Onwuka 1 »

I am not a great fan of army of the dead stories but this sounds great. From the look of things Ahmid might never be heard of again. Everything might depend on Salal. Thanks for the insightful reviews.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 431
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging fantasy novel and the social satire element improves it creating a blend that is better than its single elements. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”