Review of Heard Island

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Robert Andrew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-andrew.html
Latest Review: Truth and Evil by G. Edward Martin

Review of Heard Island

Post by Robert Andrew »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Heard Island" by Bob Carr.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Heard Island by Robert Carr is a fictional story about the development of paranormal powers by a group of teenagers. A group of about 100 children are enrolled in a school on an island far away from their homes, and they are given a set of rules to obey. Heard Island School is not your usual school as corporal punishment is allowed by the use of a special cane, all the students are made to wear shorts and have a specific uniform that must be worn, and there is no homework as all their school work is done in class. It's a very unique and unusual school, and it is on this island that five kids discover that they have paranormal powers. These five kids, all in Form 6, are together in a group, and they call themselves the Penguins. From telekinesis to telepathy to forming chemical reactions or heating objects just by mental power, these kids display extraordinary skills, and while they use their powers, some want to control them and use them for their own benefit. 

The Heard Island School's ownership is shrouded in mystery, and one wonders what the real reason is why the mysterious investor decided to create a school on such a lonely island and bring a new set of rules. The book examines several issues, such as the use of corporal punishment in schools and its advantages or setbacks, as well as the state of the educational system where students are not disciplined. In Heard Island School, discipline is key and is the central theme of the school. The school follows a strict schedule, all in a bid to have students who are disciplined and serious-minded. 

What I enjoyed most about the book was the relationship these special children had among themselves. It was really beautiful to see kids from different homes united and using their powers in unity. My second favorite aspect of the book was reading about the characters, George and Kathy. They were my second favorite after the Penguins, and I loved the role they played in their lives.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book, finding nothing to dislike about it. The characters were really interesting to read about, and I enjoyed reading the conversations between the Penguins. It was also a thrilling experience reading the scenes where the Penguins used their powers. The editor also deserves commendation for a job well done. I found a few errors, which means that the book was professionally edited.

I give this book a perfect rating of 5 out of 5 stars. The reason for the perfect rating is the exciting nature of the book. The book has a beautiful plot as well as an interesting narrative that makes it hard to put down. I recommend this book to lovers of young adult novels and supernatural novels.

Heard Island
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”