Review of THE HISTORY OF THE FUTURE

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Review of THE HISTORY OF THE FUTURE

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "THE HISTORY OF THE FUTURE" by Rem Statum.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

HISTORY OF THE FUTURE by Rem Statum weaves a compelling tale that blends science fiction with a sharp critique of societal dynamics, inviting readers to reflect on the future we are shaping.

The narrative unfolds on Sundum, a fictional planet distinguished by its advanced civilization and technologies yet plagued by socio-political challenges, including resource scarcity and environmental degradation. There are five confederations on the planet, each with distinct political and ideological beliefs that influence their approach to governance, resource management, and societal organization. Rem Statum focuses on the inhabitants of Sundum as they navigate life under these confederations, each embodying different political and ideological beliefs. The characters are not described in typical individualized detail but rather represent broader societal roles and experiences. The narrative also delves into the concept of individual transformation, where Sundum's inhabitants are reincarnated as pets on Earth as a form of afterlife.

I found HISTORY OF THE FUTURE both original and appealing, though I admit the story initially struck me as odd. However, as I delved deeper, the storyline began to captivate me, drawing me into the lives and developments of characters from each of the five confederations. Each character's journey, encapsulated in their unique narrative, gradually grew on me. The book cleverly dedicates specific chapters to each confederation, elucidating their distinct societal and political intricacies, which enriches the understanding of each character's background and decisions. One of the most intriguing aspects of the narrative is anticipating where each character ends up after their transformation into a pet. The suspense of whether they will find themselves with a kind-hearted family or in other less desirable circumstances adds a compelling layer of tension to the story. Moreover, the intertwining stories of the pets, which emerge as they adapt to their new lives, add delightful complexity to the narrative. This aspect deepens the emotional engagement with the characters' fates.

A minor drawback is that the start of the book might seem perplexing and difficult to grasp, given its unique setting and the concept of different confederations, which require some acclimatization. However, this didn’t particularly bother me, as the author ultimately provides detailed explanations of all aspects. Readers simply need to be patient.

I recommend this book to a variety of readers, including science fiction fans who enjoy stories about the future and complex worlds. It's also great for those interested in politics and society, as it explores the effects of different governmental styles on people and the planet. Additionally, it's an excellent choice for people who enjoy discussing big ideas and speculative scenarios.

In summary, HISTORY OF THE FUTURE by Rem Statum is an intricately designed and thoughtfully written narrative. The book requires some patience initially due to its complex setup and detailed world-building, but the outcome is deeply satisfying. Despite a few minor grammatical errors, it is clear the book has been professionally edited. I enthusiastically give it 5 out of 5 stars. Beyond its entertainment value, this novel encourages readers to ponder the profound effects that technology and power structures can have on our futures.

THE HISTORY OF THE FUTURE
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Under The Elm by Ivana Christman
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 126%

Post by Martina Sette »

Your review captures the complexity and depth of this book. Its setting and intricate storytelling offer readers an incredible exploration of societal and political dynamics. Great job!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by NetMassimo »

A novel that offers a history of the future that echoes some current trends to offer food for thought about possible social, political, and technological developments. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

NetMassimo wrote: 23 Apr 2024, 14:50 A novel that offers a history of the future that echoes some current trends to offer food for thought about possible social, political, and technological developments. Thank you for your great review!
My pleasure! Yes, the book definitely offers rich material for contemplation and discussion, inviting readers to ponder complex themes such as governance, identity, morality, and the nature of existence.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”