Review of The Magician's Secret

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Do Thi Huong
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-do-thi-huong.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Review of The Magician's Secret

Post by Do Thi Huong »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Magician's Secret is a 276-page fantasy novel written by Charles Townsend, a member of The Magic Circle in England. Drawing on his expertise in magic tricks, the author has crafted a tale filled with mystery and intrigue. 

The book marks the beginning of the Illusions of Power series, centering on Delvin, who inherits his magical skills from the legendary Bollock. When Bollock is killed, Delvin embarks on a journey as a traveling magician, armed with Bollock's legacy. Strange things occurred when his magic tricks seemed like not just tricks but real power that could influence the conflict between his homeland, Hengel, and the neighboring country of Argent. As Delvin found himself compelled into an adventure with Princess Jarla of Hengel to bring an end to the war, the mysteries surrounding the true extent of magical power began to unravel.

I really like Delvin, the main character. He's a street-smart guy who uses his magic skills and cleverness to get by. Despite possessing enormous power, he remains kind and moral, using his abilities for the good. One detail I appreciate is when he tries to hide his own money from Princess Jarla while they're on their journey together. It fits perfectly with his persona as a cunning magician and shows consistency in character development throughout the book.

The story starts off strong, but later on, the pace slows down during the prolonged journey of Delvin and Jarla. I appreciate how the story throws in twists at just the right moments. Often, when I started to lose interest, there was a twist that happened and pulled me right back in.

Then, in the latter part, it feels a bit abrupt. The transition between events lacks smoothness and connection. For instance, there was not much interaction between Delvin and the Duke of Argent when they first met, and suddenly the Duke treated him like a servant. The Duke also didn’t appear like a leader of a country; he seemed to have no wisdom of his own and lacked decision-making abilities, relying heavily on Delvin and Jarla.

The writing in the book is easy to follow, but there are several errors that need further editing. One aspect that I find less appealing is the excessive descriptive nature of the scenes. They're all well written, but it seems like the author gets lost in detailing the places and events. As a result, the characters lack depth, and most of what I learn about them comes through their dialogue and actions. Grimbolt is a character I found interesting but not fully explored. I wish there was more insight into his thoughts and motivations because sometimes I find myself unsure of why he acted the way he did.

Despite these drawbacks, I rate the novel 4 out of 5 stars. Overall, it’s still an enjoyable read. The plot is engaging and holds my interest. Everything is either explained well or left as a hint, allowing readers to connect with the story. The ending is satisfying yet leaves another mystery for readers to ponder, setting the stage for the next sequel. Therefore, I would recommend The Magician's Secret to any fan of fantasy novels, both teenagers and adults.

The Magician's Secret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

I read the book a few months ago. The plot is interesting but, as mentioned in this review, the pace is not constant. The reader can lose interest at some point. The twists help bring the reader to the end of the book.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: The Awakening by Davina Reddic

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

The combination of the magical world and political issue, along with elements of mystery and thriller stories seems like an intriguing combination. Reading your review makes me even more eager to read this book. Thank you for writing this. What a great review.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”