Review of The Blackened Yonder

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oluwagbenga Akangbe
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Fireproof Happiness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwagbenga-akangbe.html
Latest Review: Requiem For A Queen by Kaylin McFarren
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 265%

Review of The Blackened Yonder

Post by Oluwagbenga Akangbe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Blackened Yonder" by Justin R. Gibson.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"The Blackened Yonder" is a dark fantasy that grips you from the first page and doesn't let go. Gibson has crafted a world that's both haunting and beautiful, where magic is a double-edged sword and the dead don't always stay buried.

Gibson's world is rich with detail. Magic systems are well-developed, and the setting is a character in itself, with different nations and religions that add depth to the narrative.

The story is told from multiple perspectives, but Garron Latimer, the village priest, and Athenne, a revolutionary, stand out. Their struggles with faith and duty are compelling and relatable.

The story unfolds at a pace that keeps you turning pages. The stakes are high, and the tension is jaw-tightening as the characters navigate a landscape filled with danger and moral dilemmas.

Gibson's prose is a cut above. It's clear he's a wordsmith who knows how to weave a tale that's as magnanimous as it is entertaining.

Though the book is an amazing read, some readers might find the following points worth considering: You may find the pacing uneven once in awhile, with certain sections delving quite deep into the lore, which might slow down the momentum if you're eager for constant action.

The book doesn't shy away from dark themes and horror elements. It's not for the faint of heart, and you might find certain scenes very intense. It sure was a heart-pumper for me, but I loved every bit of it. The editing was top-notch, and I found no errors in it. 

In conclusion, "The Blackened Yonder" is a must-read for fans of dark fantasy. Gibson has set the bar high for the genre, and I eagerly await the next installment in the series. Even with how hard I am to please, it's a full five stars for the immersive storytelling, complex characters, and rich, dark world that Gibson has brought to life.

The Blackened Yonder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Raymonda Onwuka 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Banished
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka-1.html
Latest Review: Butterfly Awakens by Meg Nocero

Post by Raymonda Onwuka 1 »

Feeling the rush as I read your review, thanks for that. The village priest, and Athenne, a revolutionary.. ... I am trying to envision them as a team, a lethal combination. This book surely sounds like an amazing read. I would love to read it.
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Thank you for your detailed and insightful review. I appreciate your thoughts on the author’s writing style and that, in general, the book as a whole is quite fast-paced. I’m not 100% about the horror elements though.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like the kind of story in which tension is practically constant from the beginning to the end and the stakes are high with the dead coming back, which is never a good omen. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”