Review of The Flaxen Tyranny

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: The Flaxen Tyranny by Simon Evans

Review of The Flaxen Tyranny

Post by Salome Ogani »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Flaxen Tyranny" by Simon Evans.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Flaxen Tyranny by Simon Evans is a book on the solar system and the constellation as it portrays the struggle for supremacy among the races/species. A subspecies of humans called the "Flaxens" consider themselves superior to other species and seek to dominate Earth and its inhabitants. Therefore, they are in a war with Earth to annihilate humanity.

Overpowering humans and having the upper hand in the fight, they really inflict pain and suffering on humans, subjugating them until Kip Eastcott, the captain of Echo, an Earth starship, and the crew on board, after losing Formidable, embarked on a mission to liberate Earth and humans from the tyrant Flaxens. The protagonist, Kip Eastcott, is aided by a diverse cast of characters, including Serilda, a half-Flaxen, half-Human who can infiltrate Flaxens' minds, and Cylli, a child AI who provides crucial support. Will the humans win this war?

The Flaxen Tyranny by Simon Evans is a thrilling science fiction novel that explores themes of supremacy, oppression, and liberation. This book also helped me see two things in a different light, and I appreciate this. One would think that a life sentence is better than a death sentence, but on the contrary, as seen in this book, a life sentence is terrible, and that, for me, serves Avalon Brookes right.

I love that the novel's themes of power, prejudice, and resistance are timely and thought-provoking. I appreciate the fact that while the war was still on, Serilda had to go down to Earth and connect with her kind, and together, they infiltrated the minds of the Flaxens, causing them to fight one another. The ability of Cylli to reprogram and become more defensive and protective, even when Avalon thinks he has destroyed her and sent her to nothingness, is really commendable.

The book's diction is simple and quite easy to understand, except for some scientific terms that may pose a little difficulty, especially for those who are not science-inclined. It was not such a hassle for me, though, and there was nothing else that bothered me or that I disliked about the book. On this note, I rate it 5 out of 5 stars because it deserves it. The book’s editing was also perfect.

I recommend the book to science enthusiasts who want to know more about the constellations and solar system. A copy of this book would also be of great help to those who want to gain insight into the workings or operations of artificial intelligence. This will equally be a good read for people who want to understand that the interest of many for the greater good supersedes that of an individual.

The Flaxen Tyranny
View: on Bookshelves
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

There's a lot in this novel, as it includes scientific and technological elements and social and political themes as well. It seems that in the future, humans are still stuck with tribalism with all its terrible consequences. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”