Review of Behind the Eyes of Zylo Moon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Secret of the Hindu Kush by Anthony Stone

Review of Behind the Eyes of Zylo Moon

Post by Merits Anih »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Behind the Eyes of Zylo Moon" by David Nathaniel Nealis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In the inner workings of our mind, ideas are like seeds that blossom into scattered flowers or trees, taking root in the fertile soil of our imagination. They germinate, grow, and flourish, sometimes blooming into vibrant masterpieces and other times withering into forgotten whispers. But what happens when the seeds of our ideas are sown in the darkest corners of our psyche, where the light of understanding struggles to reach? In Behind the Eyes of Zylo Moon, David Nathaniel Nealis showed us a world where the boundaries of reality blur and the power of imagination becomes the only solace in the face of adversity.

An eight-year-old Zylo Moon experienced a moment of reckoning that changed his path—an experience that reshaped his existence—when he walked into his grandma's bedroom one fateful Monday morning and met the lifeless body of his grandma, Saloma. He had just had a wonderful evening with her the day before, and having to see her like that felt like a nightmare he desperately wanted to wake up from. An event with an old man who owned a cabin in the woods did not seem to help with the issues at all, even though he was saved by Orby. 

Tears and fears shaped Zylo's identity. Trauma triggered in Zylo an escape, counting down from three to a world of childlike wonder. This world was introduced to him by Azazel, the android robot in a suit. He named this world Serenity after developing it into what he wanted it to be. The world provided Zylo with the opportunity to be the hero, and its inhabitants provided him with all that he felt he needed in reality. However, this escape came at a cost, as Zylo lost three years of memories in the real world. Despite this, his life took a new turn when he met Luna, a fellow player of the virtual reality game called New Frontiers. What happens when Zylo regains a part of his three years' worth of lost memory that featured his greatest fear? What becomes of his relationship with Luna? 

When I finished reading this book, I could only think of hope, healing, and self-discovery and what they meant to an individual. I admired the imaginative nature of Zylo, inspired by the author's creativity and its well-developed characters. I also loved the fact that the book provided a genuine exploration of mental health. It looked into the human experience and emotions that define us as human beings.

I so much loved Saloma, Zylo's grandmother. Her character, though a supporting one, left a mark on Zylo, so much so that her death caused him to change his perspective and view of reality. I also loved that this book brought to light the roles relatives and other people have to play in a child's life. As we know, it takes two to bring a child into the world, but it takes a community to raise a child. I also love the pictures that the author included in the book, as they help me imagine the characters and their actions.

One aspect that left me unsatisfied was the lack of clarity on Orby's identity, which left me with unanswered questions. Orby's reality was not revealed, and neither was where he originated from. Is he just a figment of Zylo's imagination? If so, how was he able to save Zylo? There is also no clarity concerning how Luna usually ends up in Serenity with Zylo. Could it be that she was having the same issues as Zylo, or was he just imagining her presence there? But if so, how does she awaken with memories of the incidents that took place in Serenity during her time there? These plot holes are the reasons why I'm removing a star from the rating. With its perfect editing, the book deserves a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. I recommend Behind the Eyes of Zylo Moon David Nathaniel Nealis to lovers of fantasy and psychology books. 

Behind the Eyes of Zylo Moon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

Initially I thought I'm too old for this story but I see that the psychological element is important and well-developed, so I might appreciate this novel. I wonder if parts such as Orby's identity are willingly left in ambiguity. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”