Review of Worldlines

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ruka N
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruka-n.html
Latest Review: Parabolic Magnetic Key by Nicholas Wudtke

Review of Worldlines

Post by Ruka N »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Worldlines" by Adam Guest.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Worldlines by Adam Guest is a science fiction novel following the life of Gary Jackson, a young and bright university physics student with a loving girlfriend. After his holiday in Italy, Gary returns to his mundane and peaceful life, only for it to be thrown into chaos by an unexpected event. Without any idea of what happened or why it happened, his life takes a complete turn down a path that neither he nor anyone expected. Alternatively, this event seemed to have been a dream due to a lucid dream. Gary, his professor, and his best friend must work together to try and unravel the mystery of lucid dreaming and human consciousness using the ‘Worldlines Theory’ to undo the chaos that has now impacted his life. 

The plot was very immersive. At first, the book dragged on. There wasn’t much excitement as one reads the first-person viewpoint of Gary going about his life; this took about one-fourth of the book. Fortunately, it was laying down the much-needed background information for the thrilling events that would take place. Additionally, the book repeatedly switches between points of view. It showed the characters' personalities, thoughts, and life situations and brought forward the complex psychological impact that trauma and an unhealthy mindset can have on a person. It contrasts this with the parallel, positive, and loving relationships in the alternative world. The switching viewpoints were well-coordinated. They didn’t leave out any information, nor was there any confusion following each of them. It shows the efforts the author put to fluidly transitions from one to the other. 

However, the plot was too straightforward, and the ending was easily anticipated. It reduced the climactic feelings built up by the mystery and the ‘Many Worlds Theory’. The protagonists in each ‘Worldline’ felt a bit stiff. This, I think, is because of the lack of deep emotional investment he shows in many things in his life, excluding his girlfriend. It made it slightly harder to connect with him. My expectation for the ending was different. It left me disappointed, but this was quickly remedied by the knowledge that there was another book in the series. 

I give this book a 5 out of 5. The book was highly suspenseful, and the ‘Many Worlds Theory’ with its consequences, if true, leaves a lot for contemplation and discussion. Although its moral and legal implications were terrifying, it opened up a lot of questions about logic and the inter-dimensional travel of human consciousness. 

I would recommend this book to science fiction lovers, especially those interested in books about the alternative universe, multiple dimensions, and the ‘Multiverse Theory'. Although it wasn't heavy on these topics, it incorporated them sufficiently.

Worldlines
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sandre Lamar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandre-lamar.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Sandre Lamar »

The storyline had me on the edge of my seat, the characters were well-developed. Highly recommended!
Joo_ji
Currently Reading: Kafka On The Shore
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Joo_ji »

As though intended to overstate the disappointment you felt, in a flare of mischievous undertones deeply embedded in the structure of your review, you happen to unleash same on the reader, in a hilariously frustrating, but probably unintended, way. Cos, usually, when a writer paces his novel to build up ahead of what is yet to come, a reader would often expect a novel that is not only denser than average, but also less predictable by virtue of a traditional complexity. So I was getting all anxious and eager for what sounded like an interesting book from the very beginning, only to get to the section on its lack of detail or the finesse of suspense and feel betrayed, lol. But in all, I have always considered anything that delves into the possible mathematicality of reality and the universe to be interesting, as a sort of cerebral food. So thanks for your review, complete with insight and all. I am sure I wouldn't mind reading this one if I get the chance.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Birthright
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 46%

Post by NetMassimo »

I read this novel and I appreciated how the author developed the theme of parallel universes, in this case with some of the stories intertwined in ways that made them suspenseful and with twists. The protagonists' choices make a lot of difference in their lives taking well advantage of the alternate story foundations. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”