Review of A Time and place

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annabell Samuel
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annabell-samuel.html
Latest Review: Humanising AI by Keith Darlington

Review of A Time and place

Post by Annabell Samuel »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Time and place" by Angeline Petion.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"A Time and Place" by Angeline Petion is a collection of five short stories. The stories are "Black Out," "I Love You… Now and Forever," "Four Wishes," "Love Letters," and "Anna Cartwright." The first story is about how Rachel, Jeff, Mary, and Dan try to survive a meteorite attack on their city. The second story is about a black slave girl, Megan, who hopes to find love with a wealthy white man, Harper Smith. The third story is about the effects of the wishes of Jim, Allison, Dana, and John on Mount Moore. The fourth story is about the romantic dilemma between Michael Zimmerman and Stephanie Mitchell. The last story, as the title portrays, is about Anna Cartwright, who makes a shocking discovery about herself.

The first thing I liked about this book was its short length. At 32 pages, I read the book in a matter of minutes. The stories were short and straight to the point. They bordered around weird, mystical, sinister, and crazy scenarios and outcomes. Some stories would challenge readers' imaginations to figure out what was happening. For instance, I kept wondering why Anna Cartwright kept seeing the same thing in different places. 

All the stories, except "Love Letters," were narrated in the first person. I also noticed that they were narrated from the perspective of female protagonists. It made me wonder why the author did that. Could it be because the book was written by a female author? Or was it because females could be better storytellers than their male counterparts? I would have preferred a third-person narrative style for all the stories. It would have given me an idea of how all the characters reacted to the situations around them.

Some of the stories left me with questions. For instance, In "Black Out," there was darkness for six months. I could not help but wonder how the six months were calculated. It would be easy to keep track of days when the sun would rise and set. However, in the absence of the sun, it didn't make sense that such a specific detail about the length of the blackout could be known.

The editing and formatting of the book could have been better than what I saw. The book looked like a rushed draft. I even had to check the Kindle version, and it was the same thing. The book would need to be re-edited and reformatted to make it more appealing. Therefore, I'd rate it three out of five stars. 

If you enjoy reading weird short stories that engage your imagination, I recommend "A Time and Place" to you.

A Time and place
View: on Bookshelves
Sean Patrick Tracy
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sean-patrick-tracy.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Sean Patrick Tracy »

"A Time and Place" by Angeline Petion seems to offer a collection of short stories spanning various genres and themes. You appreciates the short length of the book, making it a quick read with stories that are concise and to the point. However, they note that some stories border on strange and leave readers with questions. Additionally, the predominance of female protagonists and first-person narration in most stories raises curiosity about the author's intentions.
Jason Ortega 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jason-ortega-1.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Jason Ortega 1 »

A Time and places by Angeline Petion is a novel written based on love. The reviews show the book is an interesting novel.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

These are really short stories and span different genres developing different themes. It can be an interesting little book to read, it needs some polishing for readers to properly focurs on the stories without distractions. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”