Official Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elizabeth-Tush4Christ
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-tush4christ.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Re: Official Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by Elizabeth-Tush4Christ »

The Roan by E.R Barr is an interesting read, I am not into fantasy, myth and fiction all in one, but I like that the story placed good and evil at par and the good won.
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

You've explained very well about the book and you have mentioned the content of the book very nicely. I'll definitely start reading this book.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

This sounds like a great science fiction book. I'm now begining to like the characters. I'm especially curious to find out what kind of genetic research Dr. Drake was doing and how it affected other characters. Congratulations to the author for becoming today's BOTD.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
MMcB
Favorite Book: Island of Missing Trees
Currently Reading: The Elephant(s) in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmcb.html
Latest Review: Ungraduated by Ken Hannaman
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by MMcB »

Myth, legend, great storytelling and science combine to make Roan: The Tales of Conor Archer by E.R. Bar a must-read! When a coming of age story begins in the big city, a death occurs and the young hero needs to return to the small town to save it you know the story; will be good. Conor Archer sounds like the perfect name for a modern day hero!
If you're going through hell, keep going.
~ Sir Winston Churchill
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

The book looks like an interesting fantasy book which is part of a series. After Conor hears a prophesy about his future and it proceeds to come true as his mother is gravely dying. She tells him to go to his hometown of Tinker's Grove where he finds supportive people but also enemies. Thank you for your review!
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 647
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 61%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

“Roan” by E.R. Barr is an action filled sci-fi mystery that takes place in Tinker Grove, WI. Readers will learn about shapeshifting creatures that are called Roan. The main character is Connor Archer who is living in Chicago at the beginning of the story. He is attacked by a biker on the streets of Chicago and when he hurries home, he passes a woman bathing in a fountain that tells him about his future. When he arrives home, he finds his mother dying and she urges him to return to their native home in Tinkers Grove. He boards a bus and heads for Wisconsin. The first chapter of the book includes many twists and turns including Walter Johnson making a incredible escape from a demon named Piasa and other events that are best described as good versus evil. Connor arrives in Tinkers Grove very ill and he is still grieving the loss of his mother. He meets his Aunt Emily and other very supportive people in town who help him rise to the challenges and he learns that his father was a non-human mound dweller named Madoc and the fate of two different worlds depends on his actions. Conor begins to realize that he has special powers but he wants to remain human and when the battle begins, he is determined to defeat the evil around him. This is a very exciting book that I have added to my to-read shelf. A very good official review.
CHANTAL EWING
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chantal-ewing.html
Latest Review: Unsilenced by Martins Agbonlahor

Post by CHANTAL EWING »

‪“The Tales Of Conor Archer” by E. R. Barr. The battle of good versus evil is eternal and the story of Conor and his friends illuminates the epic struggle between the mythical creatures of the Otherworld and the modern world that strives to deny them.‬
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by Damian Keyes »

I'm all into otherworldly, mythical stories that contains magic and magical creatures. I'm getting strong "Men In Black" vibes from the book review I just read. I hope this is not the only book in the series because Conor's future is full of adventures. Congrats to the author for receiving the BOTD honor.
Singh Wolf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-singh-wolf.html
Latest Review: Ophelia by Norman Bacal
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by Singh Wolf »

As a reader, I found your review of "Roan: The Tales of Conor Archer" by E.R. Barr to be both engaging and insightful. Your description of the story's opening sequence and the introduction of the main characters, particularly Conor Archer, piqued my interest and made me want to delve into this world of myth and mystery.

I particularly appreciated your analysis of the characters, both good and evil, and how their interactions drive the narrative. The depth and variety of the characters, as you've described, seem to provide a rich tapestry for the story to unfold. The blend of science and mysticism in the character of Dr. Drake also caught my attention, as it promises a unique and intriguing conflict.

Your praise for the world-building and the balance between detail and coherence is also noteworthy. It's always a pleasure to read a story where the author manages to create a vivid and immersive world without overwhelming the reader with unnecessary information.

Lastly, your recommendation of the audiobook version, with its talented narrator, is a great addition to the review. It's always helpful to know when an audiobook can enhance the reading experience.

Overall, your review has convinced me to add "Roan: The Tales of Conor Archer" to my reading list. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this book!
Do Thi Huong
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-do-thi-huong.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Do Thi Huong »

I like the complexity of the plot and the characters in this book. Especially the "perfect villain" the author created seems interesting to find out. Thanks for your review.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3055
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Arc by M. E. Lange

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Tinker’s Grove sounds like a wonderful, calm community and I am curious to find out the threat that is facing them. I have always enjoyed stories about good versus evil, and hence this is a book that I look forward to reading, especially to find out how Conor Archer is able to overcome evil and also maintain his human capabilities. Many, many thanks for the review!
:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Latest Review: Arc by M. E. Lange
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Anu Anand »

"Roan: The Tales of Conor Archer" by E.R. Barr is a thrilling blend of fantasy, mystery, and adventure set in the unique town of Tinker’s Grove. With captivating characters and a rich storyline, this book keeps readers hooked from start to finish. Congrats on BOTD!
Ramadevi Tatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramadevi-tatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Shanghai Circle by Tony Henderson

Post by Ramadevi Tatavarthi »

This review of "Roan: The Tales of Conor Archer" sounds like a thrilling read! The blend of myth, powers, and small-town life sounds intriguing. I appreciate how the characters are described with depth, and Conor's journey seems like a compelling mix of self-discovery and battling evil.
Malleswararao Dasari
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malleswararao-dasari.html
Latest Review: The Gallucci Gallery by K.B. Richards

Post by Malleswararao Dasari »

I love stories that blend mythology and mysterious powers. The way Conor faces challenges and discovers his own abilities while dealing with loss feels super relatable. It's cool how the author builds depth into the characters and the world of Tinker's Grove.
Alexander Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-victoria.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Alexander Victoria »

The review provides a glimpse into the rich tapestry of "Roan: The Tales of Conor Archer," highlighting its fusion of mythical elements, supernatural powers, and enigmatic beings like the Roan in the quaint setting of Tinker’s Grove, Wisconsin.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”