Official Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Re: Official Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II

Post by TheTrueNyree »

I have to admit when I saw the cover I thought I probably wouldn't read this one. But now that I know it is action packed and has humor, I am intrigued. I can see myself liking the interactions between Jake and Smith. I have a great imagination when reading so i think i could really enjoy this one..
Misha_17
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misha-17.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Misha_17 »

I like the dialogue from the get go, it's what hooked me. I'll definitely buy this book. It has the suspense, action and humor that I like :) Thanks for your awesome review :)
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

Sadly, I'm not interested in this kind of plot and fiction so I'll have to pass. Congrats to the author!
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
111Appleton111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-111appleton111.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by 111Appleton111 »

Sounds like a very interesting book. A young man discovering a ring from 3000 years ago and having to live with the one controlling its powers. I like the plot so far, but knowing that there are gore and violent scenes I'll have to tread carefully while reading this. Despite that, I'm glad to know that there's humor incorporated into the story.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

Thanks for the review. Smith seems like a fun tale and I love the cheekiness that ensues such a relationship as the one Jake shares with Smith. Not a fan of all the violence, but I like the concept of Smith. I will be adding it to my WTR shelf :D
capricornius16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-capricornius16.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by capricornius16 »

Great review! You seem to really enjoy the book. I've just read a sample of this book myself and I definitely like it. Can't wait to read it in its entirety.
bookcandireviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bookcandireviews »

WOW! That review opening enticed me to read the whole thing. Normally, when picking a book to read, I will only read the first paragraph or so. I just finished the sample and was thinking that Jake sounded a bit immature. After reading this review, I think I will pick Smith as my first book to review. It sounds like there is much more humor with all the playful banter.
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

A ring that can help his wearer to conquer the world. Solomon's ring. 3,000 years looking for it and finally found. Let's read and see what things can this ring do. Interesting quick read. Congrats.
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

I really like books that combine action with humor. The supernatural element of Smith being just a voice is a plus too. Seems like a pretty good read.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

A little LOTR-ish, it would seem. Unfortunately, my interest faded when I heard there was non stop dialogue, especially tongue in cheek. I think humor has its place in any genre, but I don't like it abundantly. I think I'll pass, but great review.
Laura Del
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-del.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Laura Del »

I like short and funny books, so this seems up my alley. I may pick it up one day, so I guess I'll add it to my ever expanding TBR list.
"Write drunk, edit sober."~Ernest Hemingway
MiziS_1305
Favorite Book: The Lost Symbol
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mizis-1305.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by MiziS_1305 »

I am really looking forward to the humorous conversation between Smith and Jake. Books concentrating on some archaeological object have always been my favorite. I have read some about Alexander's tomb, treasure from Mahabharat kaal, Syamantak mani and all that. And this time it is going to be King Solomon's ring. Thanks for such an engaging review!! :tiphat:
pfonua
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by pfonua »

The opening paragraph of chapter 1 was somewhat intriguing for me. I asked myself...why not just get out of the way of the rock, Jake?

I was glad I kept reading because paragraph 3 told me he was somewhere in the Middle East, and it turned out he was in the middle/and part of a digging site in Israel at the ancient temple grounds of the first temple, built by King Solomon. From there, I am determined to read until the end because I am an avid reader of such times and era.

The sample portion I read is a great setup for the rest of the book. Calling the voice character of the ring Smith is a wonderful idea. I don't know where the name came from, but it's interesting nonetheless. The portion of the book I read envisions powers, intellect, wisdom and so much more from one of the most charismatic figures of ancient times. I can't wait to dive into the book to find if the author Sam B. Miller II is worthy of depicting the wonders of this historical figure; of which I have been charmed by since I've learned how to read very early in my childhood.

What I have read so far grips me. The early taste into the menacing character of Mr. Laspor is worthy of the story line so far. The somewhat innocent, microscopic knowledge of Jake's Father into the rings origins and powers is beautiful. I suspect that he will find way late in the game that his son Jake holds what he has been looking for all along. His friend Avner I happen to appoint as a budding genius, but I wonder if the author will do anything with this line later on in the book. I don't know, but I anticipate that there will be other characters introduced into the story in latter chapters that will only enhance it....I hope.

This is the first time I've read one of Mr. Miller II's books. I like it already. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to taste some of his work. I highly recommend this book to anyone reading this review. I love it!

Palei Fonua Liua
Leyla
Currently Reading: Banished Threads
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Leyla »

I absolutely love the opening of your review! It is definitely different and interesting. The contents of the book was much more appealing than the cover. The cover did nothing for the book. The book was more interesting than I anticipated.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

Nice job is done in this review. I acknowledge the humor and intrigues that are found in this book. These are quite interesting times for archaeologists to live in. All being done just to get a ring? Even when it was stumbled upon, how did they just discover that it was the one that Solomon wore?

I just love how creatively you have engaged the readers of this review. Congrats on a job well done.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”