Harry Potter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ella_1
Currently Reading: The Lubetkin Legacy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ella-1.html

Re: Harry Potter

Post by ella_1 »

I picked up the first Harry Potter book for a laugh while traveling on the back of a truck in Africa and was mocked by my companions for reading a children's book. It had been released only recently so there wasn't really any hype about it yet. I finished the book within hours because I couldn't stand to leave the enchanting world of Hogwarts. Those who had mocked me then fought for their turn with the book. By the end of the trip we were all fans debating whether or not there would be a sequel. Lol! Little did we know what it was to become!
I agree that The Cursed Child was not as great as the original stories but still had to have it for my collection.
X
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

choward150 wrote:Wow this defintely brings back memories of reading under the covers by flashlight becauseI was supposed to be sleep for school the next day. One of the first ever page turners for me. The series was soooo awesome that Prisioner of Azkaban only took 3 days at most.
I did that too! My mom used to get so mad at me when she caught me...for the 3rd time in one night!!
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
cwoodfin
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwoodfin.html

Post by cwoodfin »

I read the entire Order of the Phoenix in a day. My neck was so stiff after that but I couldn't put it down! ?
Michelle92
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle92.html
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann

Post by Michelle92 »

To be honest, I just begun to read this series after a long time of postponing it. I just finished the second one, and I have to admit they're pretty incredible. A world worth of the thousands of fans that it has. I'll be definitely finishing this series soon.
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Of all the books i have read this one bestselling series is one i could never get my hands on. I recently spotted the entire series in my school.library so i am definitely issuing it the next time i go there. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Jjnessie 33
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnessie-33.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by Jjnessie 33 »

I love Harry Potter read it in a week and I enjoy reading fanfictions about it. Keeps the dream alive. My favourite book is the chamber of secrets because it has so unexpected twists and turns. I have a phobia of spiders so it makes the book and movie difficult to read and see at times but that doesn't mean I don't love the chamber of secrets any less the best movies and books are ones that help you face your fears.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Purzum
Currently Reading: The Martian
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Purzum »

I'm such a huge Harry Potter Fan!!! I read all the books in elementary school (almost all the books had come out by then) and then promptly decorated my entire room to mimic what I thought Ravenclaw looked like ...although I'm technically a Slytherin... :shifty:
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I was a huge Harry Potter fan while growing up and now I just finished Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. I was a little hesitant when I learned it was only going to be in script-form, but after I was about 20 pages in, I hardly even noticed anymore. The story was all right but I mostly liked it just because it brought me back to the world of Hogwarts and reminded me of my childhood. I wish that they would make a movie out of it, but I hope I get to see the play sometime.
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

love the harry potter books. I read each one as they came out. I watch the movies as the came out. Now I am collecting harry potter on cd so that my kids can listen to it as they go to bed. my favorite character was doby and sirius black
Kiekow15
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiekow15.html

Post by Kiekow15 »

Despite my age, this is my first time reading the Harry Potter series. I'm currently reading The Half-Blood Prince, and I must say that I adore Rowling's writing style, especially when she writes Quidditch scenes. I loathe sports and any mention of them, but I find myself utterly gripped by any Quidditch match she describes. Personally, my favorite book so far was Prisoner of Azkaban. The suspense of the looming "threat" of Sirius, Lupin's guidance, the dementors, I thought it was all so riveting!
Pineapplegoat26
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Pineapplegoat26 »

My children and I have been working our way through the Harry Potter series. My oldest son, age 6, is advanced academically, but is a perfectionist and has a great fear of making mistakes. If he thinks he can't do something perfectly, he is hesitant to even try, and will avoid situations where he might no know the answer.

Harry Potter has become a hero for him, because Harry often feels the same way. New to the wizarding world, Harry knows much less than his counterparts, even though he is extremely talented. He must solve problems along the way, and not get down on himself when he doesn't have all the answers right away.

The colorful world of the Harry Potter series also plays right into the vast imaginations of kids who may be ahead of other children their age, and provide the novelty to keep them interested and invested in the story. The books are also a delight for parents who read aloud to their children, making it a wonderful bonding experience for the whole family. I highly recommend this series for children as young as kindergarten up through adulthood!
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 792
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

Granted, "Cursed Child" lacks the wondrous writing style of Rowling . Because the story is written in script form, the reader must use his own imagination much more then in a novel. I needed to see the characters and setting based on my memories from the series instead of words from the page. It is also a much smaller story because it was written for the stage, not as a novel. It takes a certain mindset to be able to see the play as one reads a script. Experience as an actress, has trained me to do so. I think that one would find that those people who love both Potter and the theater adored the book.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
moonshoes
Currently Reading: always and forever lara jean
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moonshoes.html

Post by moonshoes »

Julie Ditton wrote:Granted, "Cursed Child" lacks the wondrous writing style of Rowling . Because the story is written in script form, the reader must use his own imagination much more then in a novel. I needed to see the characters and setting based on my memories from the series instead of words from the page. It is also a much smaller story because it was written for the stage, not as a novel. It takes a certain mindset to be able to see the play as one reads a script. Experience as an actress, has trained me to do so. I think that one would find that those people who love both Potter and the theater adored the book.
Cursed Child lacks her writing style because she didn't actually write it. (I haven't read the Fantastic Beasts movie script, but she wrote it herself so I imagine it's infinitely better.) I'm just pretending Cursed Child doesn't actually exist, because I hated it so much. Not only because the writing was bad, but also because everybody was out of character and I never wanted to read about their future in the first place. I hated the epilogue of the seventh book as well. The good writing was there, but it lacked everything I loved about the Harry Potter series. I'm so bitter about the Cursed Child and the epilogue, it's ridiculous.
Belovedbookkeeper
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belovedbookkeeper.html

Post by Belovedbookkeeper »

I'm currently re-reading Goblet of Fire and am absolutely in love with it just as I was the first time. Can't wait to finish and move onto Order of the Phoenix :D
Adair McClain
Currently Reading: Madhouse
Bookshelf Size: 258
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adair-lee.html
Latest Review: Freefalling by Eme McAnam

Post by Adair McClain »

I was actually part of a family that was against Harry Potter because of the "witchcraft". I didn't read them beyond the first book until I was an adult and moved out, and of course I loved them. J.K. Rowling is amazing, both as an author and a human being.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”