Harry Potter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
point of view
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-point-of-view.html

Re: Harry Potter

Post by point of view »

I am also a harry potter fanatic. I read and loved all the books and watched the movies. At first, I said watching it first is better because you can already picture the characters and the settings but not really because you won't be using your imagination. It's one of the essence of reading, right? Using your imagination to create your own movie of the story.
kaden2
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaden2.html

Post by kaden2 »

I haven't read the cursed child yet and like many others I am hesitant because she didn't write it... well at least that is what I have heard. But I throughly enjoyed the series I am in love with all the characters and the expansive background that encompasses them!!!
maliffi10
Currently Reading: Murder in Amsterdamn
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maliffi10.html

Post by maliffi10 »

Harry Potter was a staple of my childhood, reading the series gave me such a sense adventure and imagination. I was never a big reader until I read the HP series but once I got into reading Harry Potter, I started reading more and more, I haven't stopped since. I truly grew up alongside the characters. The lessons of good and evil as well as the dynamics of the characters taught me a lot more than I had realized and have become such a part of who I am.
kaden2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaden2.html

Post by kaden2 »

So... Is the cursed child worth reading? Should I go get it?
NicklasM
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicklasm.html

Post by NicklasM »

Okay, soooo here is my thoughts about Harry Potter and the cursed child.
well first of all it is, of course, written by J.K. Rowling, but also John Tiffany and Jack Thorne, anyway… let’s get started!

Harry Potter and the cursed child, is the “eighth story”, as they say on the back of the book... which is kinda funny to call it as it is a theatre script, which of curse affect the way it is written.

When you read a script it is mainly dialogue, with small notes about actions or facial expression that the actor will need to make, and this means that there is a lot of things that there is lost if you are not very talented at reading between the lines, and have a very good imagination.

When this is said then I personally think that the story itself is pretty good… well, of course, it is not like the old days, where you follow Harry, Hermione and Ron, but it is pretty cool to follow Albus (Harry’s kid) and Scorpius (Draco’s kid) around and see what kind of adventure that awaits them. It is also very interesting to see how the sons and fathers rebuild their relationship with each other and… wait for it… How HARRY AND DRACO become FRIENDS… well, kinda friends.

I don’t want to spoil too much but I will say that I liked the story and learned a lot of new things about the harry potter universe, and got to see some good old familiar faces which I quite enjoyed!

If you have never read a script before or expect it to be a book book, or is not open to a different way of reading then this book is not for you.

My rating of the book: 4 out of 6 stars

Definitely read it if you are a harry potter fan with an open mind to read scripts, and remember to keep that in mind, that it is a script.
Miche Sora
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Post by Miche Sora »

kaden2 wrote:I haven't read the cursed child yet and like many others I am hesitant because she didn't write it... well at least that is what I have heard. But I throughly enjoyed the series I am in love with all the characters and the expansive background that encompasses them!!!
I read the Cursed Child for a book club event with the Geek Girls a while ago...I can't say that I recommend it. While it was definitely fun revisiting the HP world, there were several problems: 1) It's written in play form. It's not a novel. It takes a bit to get used to the stage directions and such, but it does read faster than a regular book. 2) I could have written some of the characters better than the authors. For example, there is none of Hermione's freeing the house elves, now that she's in government and can do something about it. 3) The plot gets a bit twisty in a time-turner kind of way. It almost made me dizzy in some parts.
She reads books
as one would breathe air,
to fill up and live.

--Annie Dillard
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

I loved the Harry Potter series. My friend and I would both get the latest book and read it together, waiting impatiently for the other to catch up so we could discuss it.
Filip Gasic

Post by Filip Gasic »

*SPOILERS* Ive watched every HP movie several times and read most of the books as my mom got me into them as i was a kid. My personal favorite is the 4th book. I just loved the goblet of fire , its the first time Voldemort has been properly shown and desribed as a living creature and not in someone elses body. The worst one for me is the 5th one, the Half Blood Prince. I think i dont like it because of Dumbledors death. But it was epicly described in that book how he and Harry went to destory a horcrux in a cave surounded by dead souls pullig them in the water amd Dubledor spewing fire across the area and using his last strength to save him and Harry. After that sadly he is killed
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

I so love every part of Harry Potter but my favorite is and has always been Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I think Rowling creates the entire world before she started writing because every part flows together. It's like her characters are real and it's so cool to feel like you live in their world.
abbiehobbs2015
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by abbiehobbs2015 »

I love the all the books and the films are alright. My favorite book and movie is the third book: The Prisoner of Azkaban. I cannot wait to see what else J.K. has in store for us in the next movies and books she has coming out.
S Mishra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-mishra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by S Mishra »

The Harry Potter series is one of my all time favourites. The plot of the book so brilliant and so are the characters. Everytime you reread it, you fall in love with it a little more. It's become one of those classics that everyone should definitely read at least once in their lives.
"If anyone needs me, I’ll be reading.... Please don’t need me."
QButler17

Post by QButler17 »

Words cannot express the ultimate joy the Harry Potter series brings me. It was one of the first book series I read, and I distinctly remember my teachers always complimenting me on reading such a series at a young age. You easily fall in love with the characters and really feel as though you were living in their shoes. I’m so grateful that these books were my first, and I continue to look forward for the things yet to come.
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

I'm reading this series again and am loving it just as much as the first time I read it! Right now, I'm reading The Order of the Phoenix. I still haven't read The Cursed Child, so I'll finally be reading that once I finish the rest of the series! I'm probably one of the few people who hasn't read it yet!
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

I could write a novel about how much I love the Harry Potter series that J.K. Rowling created, but I’ll be brief. My favorite character in the series is the Boy Who Lived himself. Harry gets a bad wrap from a lot of people who don’t seem to grasp the magnitude of grief and abuse he suffered his whole life. Despite all the emotional, verbal, and physical abuse he endured, he remained hopeful. When our favorite half giant burst through that door, his hope was rewarded. He discovered how important he was after years of being told he was a mistake or that he was a waste of space. I don’t deny that he had a lot of help on his path to destroy Voldemort, but he didn’t deny that either. The rare moments he was cocky or full of himself, is explained by the simple fact that he was a teenage boy. This is the same boy who wanted to bury Dobby without magic because he believed that brave and loyal house elf deserved a proper burial. I love Harry Potter because he is flawed. He’s my absolute favorite main character of a book series.
Keran7811
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Keran7811 »

Is and forever will be the best fantasy book series of all time. Harry Potter has been the best thing that has ever happened to me and had consumed my life (in a good way). I have reread this series more times than I can count and I love it each time. It will always remain a part of my life and it will always remain the masterpiece that it is being one of the largest franchises in the world. Thank you JK Rowling for my childhood.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”