Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Action/Adventure Genre Discussion

Post by Heidi M Simone »

For the month of July 2020, we will be focusing on books that fall under the genres, action and/or adventure!

Action can be considered a genre that uses suspense in a way that gets readers excited "to know how the conflict between the protagonist and antagonist is going to be resolved or what the solution to the puzzle of a thriller is." Typically, this genre emphasizes on "exciting action sequences." (wikipedia)

Adventure can be thought of as a genre "that usually presents danger, or gives the reader a sense of excitement." The actual adventure is usually outside the protagonist's everyday life, and can include some danger and action. (wikipedia)

As we dive into this month's exciting genre choices, let's consider some of the following to guide some discussion:
  • Share the title and author of the book you read.
  • Was it primarily an action-based novel or adventure-based? What makes this book an action, adventure, or action/adventure read?
  • Were there other genres woven into the text?
  • What were your impressions? Would you recommend the book you read? Why or why not?
As always, let's have fun this month reading!
:library:
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Mariesg
Currently Reading: Detention of Doom
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariesg.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Mariesg »

Illuminae by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman is an amazing space opera. I would say it probably leans more toward action but I definitely think it's an action/adventure. It was suspenseful and had a bunch of twist turns. It also had romance built into it and since I mentioned it was a space opera, it's definitely in the sci-fi genre. I read this book a long time ago and I loved it. It kept me on the edge of my seat and the format of the book wasn't of a usual novel. It used maps, pictures, chat room logs, and more to tell the story. I believe the style of this is called epistolary. Because of this book, I've been more intersted in epistolary novels and have tried reading a couple more. I defintiely reccomened other people read it. It's an entirely different reading experience.

A book I read this month that falls under action/adventure is Stranded In The Wild by Gary Rodriguez. I would say this is more adventure because there was focus on interactions with wild animals but also just in general trying to survive in the wild so there wasn't a whole lot of action scenes. In the novel, there was also some romance but it was subtle. It was also a nice friendship story. I really liked this book, too. I thought it was very interesting and I ended up loving the characters. I definitely would reccomend people read this just to learn really about the wild and the amazing things the charcaters go through and think about how we can imitate them in our life. I just think it was a really great, kid-friendly adventure.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Mariesg wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 14:47 Illuminae by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman is an amazing space opera. I would say it probably leans more toward action but I definitely think it's an action/adventure. It was suspenseful and had a bunch of twist turns. It also had romance built into it and since I mentioned it was a space opera, it's definitely in the sci-fi genre. I read this book a long time ago and I loved it. It kept me on the edge of my seat and the format of the book wasn't of a usual novel. It used maps, pictures, chat room logs, and more to tell the story. I believe the style of this is called epistolary. Because of this book, I've been more intersted in epistolary novels and have tried reading a couple more. I defintiely reccomened other people read it. It's an entirely different reading experience.

A book I read this month that falls under action/adventure is Stranded In The Wild by Gary Rodriguez. I would say this is more adventure because there was focus on interactions with wild animals but also just in general trying to survive in the wild so there wasn't a whole lot of action scenes. In the novel, there was also some romance but it was subtle. It was also a nice friendship story. I really liked this book, too. I thought it was very interesting and I ended up loving the characters. I definitely would reccomend people read this just to learn really about the wild and the amazing things the charcaters go through and think about how we can imitate them in our life. I just think it was a really great, kid-friendly adventure.
Illuminae sounds good. I saw it is part of a series. Does it stand on its own?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Not sure if Illuminae is for me as I'm not a big fan of sci-fi/space opera, but I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I've actually been rereading the Harry Potter series, and there's definitely some type of adventure and action in each book. Aside from some adventure and action, the books fall under the young adult and fantasy genres. Since this is a series that I absolutely love (it's the reason I love to read), then I would absolutely recommend the books! :)
Heidi

Mariesg
Currently Reading: Detention of Doom
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariesg.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Mariesg »

gali wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 23:38
Mariesg wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 14:47 Illuminae by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman is an amazing space opera. I would say it probably leans more toward action but I definitely think it's an action/adventure. It was suspenseful and had a bunch of twist turns. It also had romance built into it and since I mentioned it was a space opera, it's definitely in the sci-fi genre. I read this book a long time ago and I loved it. It kept me on the edge of my seat and the format of the book wasn't of a usual novel. It used maps, pictures, chat room logs, and more to tell the story. I believe the style of this is called epistolary. Because of this book, I've been more intersted in epistolary novels and have tried reading a couple more. I defintiely reccomened other people read it. It's an entirely different reading experience.

It does stand on its own. It's the first one in the series and there's three. Every book is its own adventure, but it's really better if you read them in order. You'll understand what's going on more. The second is Gemina and the last is Obsidio.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Mariesg wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 16:25
gali wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 23:38

It does stand on its own. It's the first one in the series and there's three. Every book is its own adventure, but it's really better if you read them in order. You'll understand what's going on more. The second is Gemina and the last is Obsidio.
Thank you. I added them to my list. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “July 2020 Genre Discussion”