How early does it start?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Adebi
Currently Reading: Of Flame and Light (Weird Girls, #7)
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adebi.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: How early does it start?

Post by Adebi »

Yes anxiety and stress can affect children especially in today's world were social media expose young children to so many toxic things and standard so the book can help
JohnHunter84
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JohnHunter84 »

When I was a child and a teenager I can't reduce stress. It was a bid problem.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Children are handling more stress as they play less and spend more time on social media. Some of the techniques mentioned in the book could be used by children (exercise, breathing). I would hesitate to begin giving children any of the supplements, as their bodies are still developing.
Alya17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 611
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alya17.html
Latest Review: Rebecca's Adventure by Diana Johnson Narod

Post by Alya17 »

Kelyn wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 22:42
Alya17 wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 19:58 I agree that we are taught to internalise anxieties or other mental issues very early in life. I think parents, in some cases, are not really equipped to handle their children's anxieties. I think it's often worse in families who have financial struggles or are trying to acclimatise to a new area or occupation etc. For families like those, children's anxieties or insecurities may seem so insignificant in comparison to what they as parents are going through and that translates into the children thinking they're being a nuisance or a bother.
So true, and even more of a problem today with COVID and the loss of jobs it is causing. All the anxieties this cause the parents, not being able to make rent for example, make them less able to recognize that their children's stresses and fears are just as real as theirs. What feels like dismissal to a child may actually equate to a lack of knowledge on the part of the parent, or the fact that their own stresses are overwhelming. Unfortunately, the child can pick up on that and feel they are being a burden. The techniques in the book cannot cure this, but they can help the child shore up their own sense of balance when their parents are unable to give them the help they need. In this case, the techniques would need to be taught before the difficulties begin. Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts. It is appreciated.
Thank you for taking the time out to respond! :) COVID certainly is causing additional anxiety and stress. I agree that the techniques can't cure anxiety, but they can definitely help!
Kelyn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn »

Adebi wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 10:55 Yes anxiety and stress can affect children especially in today's world were social media expose young children to so many toxic things and standard so the book can help
JohnHunter84 wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 10:11 When I was a child and a teenager I can't reduce stress. It was a big problem.
kdstrack wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 11:39 Children are handling more stress as they play less and spend more time on social media. Some of the techniques mentioned in the book could be used by children (exercise, breathing). I would hesitate to begin giving children any of the supplements, as their bodies are still developing.
Stress is, indeed, a problem for today's children and teens, and I have to agree that their access to social media contributes to it. This is especially true when the parents are lax in supervising the child or helping them to understand what they are seeing. I also feel, as you do, that while some of the techniques in the book could aid children in dealing with their stresses and anxiety, others, such as the supplements/medications, might be potentially harmful. I wouldn't give anything to my child that I hadn't researched thoroughly myself first. Thanks to all of you for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by adhambakry »

The answer to this question is the degree of a child's exposure to a stressful environment. For example, a child raised in an environment where his parents are always arguing may encounter a form of stress early in his life. But children grown in a healthy environment can avoid stress until puberty. I believe every person must experience stress during puberty due to hormonal imbalances.
Kelyn

Post by Kelyn »

adhambakry wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 09:23 The answer to this question is the degree of a child's exposure to a stressful environment. For example, a child raised in an environment where his parents are always arguing may encounter a form of stress early in his life. But children grown in a healthy environment can avoid stress until puberty. I believe every person must experience stress during puberty due to hormonal imbalances.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and I agree wholeheartedly that every child more than likely experiences stresses during puberty for one reason or another. However, I must respectfully disagree that only children from unfortunate backgrounds experience stress and anxiety. Even children from 'healthy' environments can experience stress. It will be caused by different experiences, granted, but things like trying to keep up with class/homework, bullying, etc. are stresses that even these children can encounter and are just as valid. Just my opinion. Thanks for stopping by; I appreciate hearing your views.
77way
Favorite Book: Waterworks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by 77way »

It start begin when we have got learned since kid and the family too. Family is the primary main source to make and build child charcter, attitude, favours, psychology, skill, capable, custom, and another which bring child to be human who can start to do anything from baby.
Lssonlinemart
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lssonlinemart »

It depends on his upbringing and an environmental situtaions. It also depends on the perfection of all the nutrients that the body needs to be in order to grow and grow normally. It can also be differentiated due to genetics and its motility. No one can say it 100% accurately. Since it is a natural thing. It can come before the age of adversity. Again, according to the usual rules, it is later than expected. So be happy always with family and ohter of your nearest.
Bhuvana Subramanyam
Favorite Book: Lady Smoke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhuvana-subramanyam.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Bhuvana Subramanyam »

LuciusM wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 08:07 As people grow, ideas and philosophies that had been instilled in them start to reflect on a reality perspective. Though they still remember what they were told, the magnitude of what they encounter forces them to act differently.
I agree with you. Our behavior is a product of all the things we have experienced. Still, in some people, the level of inhibition due to their childhood experiences is so high even if they want to do something different, they can't. Mostly because of those inhibitions dragging them behind!
prachi29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prachi29.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by prachi29 »

Children should be taught to express their fears and worries from an early age. By doing so, they will be able to form this as a habit and will help them in the longer run.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

I think how are conditioned to deal with anxiety and stress as children determines how we deal with it as adults. This includes how we saw our guardians/parents deal with stress. Depending on whether we perceived it as a good coping mechanism or not, our decisions as adults is based on what we were taught.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Kelyn

Post by Kelyn »

77way wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 20:48 It start begin when we have got learned since kid and the family too. Family is the primary main source to make and build child charcter, attitude, favours, psychology, skill, capable, custom, and another which bring child to be human who can start to do anything from baby.
Lssonlinemart wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 23:33 It depends on his upbringing and an environmental situtaions. It also depends on the perfection of all the nutrients that the body needs to be in order to grow and grow normally. It can also be differentiated due to genetics and its motility. No one can say it 100% accurately. Since it is a natural thing. It can come before the age of adversity. Again, according to the usual rules, it is later than expected. So be happy always with family and ohter of your nearest.
I agree completely that children have stresses and anxieties that can be based on a number of factors and that these must be addressed early. Family, specifically parents, are the primary source from which this help will come. Close family bonding complimented by techniques such as the ones in Kinrys' book can aid in this. You are correct in saying that if these fears, stresses, anxieties, and encounters with adversity are not addressed in childhood, they can affect and 'shape' the child in his/her future.

Thank you both for dropping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
dm1971
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by dm1971 »

I remember one time when I panicked and cried as a child when my mother left us in the house for more than one hour. This situation keeps happening throughout my childhood, and my mother's reaction is to always enrage on me. I think that if this information is available to me as a child, I would probably have had a better reaction to my anxiety. Yes, I think this book would be helpful for children.
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeraldlaurice012.html
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

Post by emeraldlaurice012 »

At a young age, children are more susceptible to ways of life that are taught to them. They bring it with them until they grown old. So the way a child is brought up by the parents and his environment while growing up plays a role on how they deal as adults.

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”