Most Effective Remedy

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Re: Most Effective Remedy

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

Exercise, particularly lifting weights, works best for me. Unfortunately, I don't trust going to gyms right now so I have to rely on my personal set of weights, which don't work as well getting me into the right zone.
Nana2_
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Nana2_ »

Like a lot more of other exercise is my best cure. Anxiety and stresses to me with my exercises, my reactive body respond effectively without any need of any other medication.
Mr_Dark
Currently Reading: Preppers Medical Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Mr_Dark »

What I find the best medicine is the practice of meditation and yoga. Both of them are easy to do and anyone can do them on their own without having a visit to any kind of doctor.
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Post by Laura Mich »

Both physical and mental exercises work for me. Reading a book, for instance is good remedy to relieve stress.
Laura Mich

Post by Laura Mich »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 14:18 For me, meditating and exercising seem to be the most effective methods. But I take traditional medications prescribed by a doctor to help with my anxiety too.
Traditional medications like herbs can be quite effective. A few years ago I was prescribed some herbs from Thailand that worked wonders.
Laura Mich

Post by Laura Mich »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 08:56 Definitely working out is paramount for my mental health; I also find decluttering and mediation to be helpful.
Mental games like monopoly are also effective when it comes to stress relieving. Such games deflect the mind from the stress and makes one focus on that particular gaming moment.
Hames
Currently Reading: Worlines
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hames.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hames »

Personally, I feel that exercise helps a lot to reduce anxiety and stress. I love taking long walks in silence. I find it to be therapeutical.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

grgmrn wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 05:31 Of all the various supplements I've tried throughout the years, I've found that Chamomile tea and Ashwagandha are the most effective at reducing anxiety, at least for me. Exercise and progressive muscle relaxation are also helpful, albeit more so in the long run.
I have always preferred coffee, whereas my husband loves his tea. Luckily for me, when I finished reading this book, we had some Chamomile tea on hand. I tried it for the first time and didn't find it to taste as bad as I thought it would. Since then, I can hardly go a day without my tea time. I haven't tried Ashwagandha yet, but I would love to dive in and give it a go. The added benefits, especially boosted brain function, sounds appealing.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

I am not someone who generally enjoys exercise, but I do feel that exercising with a friend makes the experience all the more enjoyable. During the lockdown, I completed a Cloe Ting workout challenge on YouTube. I found this challenge to be very effective in distracting me from things I stress about. The satisfaction of knowing that I completed the challenge really gave me a boost in positivity. For my Yoga needs, I love SarahBethYoga's channel on YouTube. I always feel more relaxed and in control of myself after a session. Other than exercise, I heavily rely on music to help me cope on a day to day basis. Whenever I feel the anxiety creeping up, I pop in my earphones and take a break.
Iris Marsh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iris-marsh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Iris Marsh »

Personally, I've had mindfulness training, which was a combination between meditation, relaxation techniques, mindfulness exercises and some CBT principles. I found that this combination worked really well, but especially the meditation and mindfulness exercises. I see a lot of you also mention exercise, and I do experience indeed that working out reduces my stress, so I can see how it can also alleviate anxiety.
NisasPieces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisaspieces.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by NisasPieces »

For me, meditation and exercise are the key to relieving anxiety. The first one to set a mind set to forget all the burden that don't matter, and the latter to actually keep a good, healthy body for a good, healthy mind.
Peggy911
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peggy911.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Peggy911 »

For me, exercising and working out is the best remedy for stress and anxiety. Exercising really helps to keep the mind at peace, it also helps meditating, it clears the mind too.
fancyjg
Favorite Book: Timewise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fancyjg.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by fancyjg »

Yoga, meditation and exercises such as breathing are the most effective according to me to help distract one from thinking about stressful things.
SophiaNd
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiand.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by SophiaNd »

Personally, I relieve stress by shutting down, relax, engage in very light exercises like jogging then of course, taking deep breaths
jdsatosk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdsatosk.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by jdsatosk »

Howlan wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 00:18 Among all the numerous therapies mentioned in this book, which remedy do you find the most effective?

Personally, for me, I feel that exercise especially running helps a lot to reduce anxiety and stress.
This is a great discussion starter! I love seeing everyone's comments on what seems to help them the most. I have only ever used exercise (mostly running now that I am not in organized sports anymore) and sometimes controlled breathing to help deal with my stress. I have started to experience some anxiety recently, and this book came in handy to recognize some of the signs of wear it is having on my body and mind. I am definitely looking to try some of these remedies for anxiety. I have already found that I cannot have much caffeine anymore or I have a bad day. In addition to cutting out caffeine, I think that I will try Gotu Kola (for my sinus issues) and Rhodiola for anxiety/mild depression (especially with winter coming :( ). If anyone has used either of those and has any feedback on how they worked for them, I would love to know!

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”