Is it practical?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Re: Is it practical?

Post by Howlan »

Saint Bruno wrote: 28 Aug 2020, 17:17 My answer to this is yes. I think the tips in this book are practical and something one can find easy to apply in their lives. The pieces of advice can be effective in real circumstances.
How effective do you think these remedies are when a person has high levels of stress? In the case of high levels, I do not think most remedies outlined in this book will work. Which one do you think is the most effective?
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Lunastella wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 10:19 I think some of the parts are practical, like the diet improvements. It can't harm you to include healthier foods. But some parts need assistance from a professional, like neurofeedback.
Yes, but diet monitoring requires assistance from a dietician or a proper guide and I think it is not quite effective when followed amaturely. In the case of biofeedback though, it is something which is impossible in the absence of an expert.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

EudoraMac wrote: 27 Aug 2020, 00:12 CBT, for example, may not be effective unless mediated by a certified professional. In relation to this question, I believe this therapy technique then detracts from the conventional understanding of "practical".

I found the diet suggestions more practical in the sense that the knowledge can be practiced independently of any professionals.

In all, however, I'd say that the strategies outlined in the book were practical in the sense that they inform every reader on what is possible, obtainable and available out there for the relief of stress and anxiety. So, yes, the information is practical for something.
Yes, I agree with you on that. The remedies mentioned are quite relatable and diverse which can suit the tastes and comfort level of a large number of people. I feel this book serves well as a handbook in cases when due to some reason or another medical help is unavailable and you need to work the things out on your own.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

diana lowery wrote: 28 Aug 2020, 08:29 I feel that the book is very practical. The only issue I had was with the "Tap on it" section. There were so many steps to go through using pressure points. I think if someone was having an anxiety attack, it would be impossible to remember all those instructions.
Yes, something like acupuncture theory will be impossible without the presence of a professional. Also, cannot imagine a professional applying it on many parts of the body properly, like the back.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Howlan wrote: 29 Aug 2020, 14:34
Lunastella wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 10:19 I think some of the parts are practical, like the diet improvements. It can't harm you to include healthier foods. But some parts need assistance from a professional, like neurofeedback.
Yes, but diet monitoring requires assistance from a dietician or a proper guide and I think it is not quite effective when followed amaturely. In the case of biofeedback though, it is something which is impossible in the absence of an expert.
I guess, sure, to plan an ideal diet you would need assistance from a nutritionist but unless you have allergies adding healthier foods can't be harmful... can it?
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

For most people, this is indeed practical. It is practical for people who still have some sense of control left in their lives. But for people whose stress and anxieties have soared to astronomical heights, a one-by-one professional help alongside this book will be needed.
iknwuzoh
Currently Reading: We Are Voulhire: Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iknwuzoh.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by iknwuzoh »

Many substances are edible but not all are suitable for human consumption. Proper dieting can help prevent some ailments. Prevention to an extent is much better than cure. Yes, it is practical.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Mindi wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 06:46 There is good practical advice, and I believe many will benefit from it. Each person is different, though, so if someone finds it unhelpful, it is important to seek professional advice. What works for some may not work for others.
Each person should peruse through Gustavo's guidelines and try out what works for them. If it is practical but doesn't resolve their issue, they should seek medical intervention from a trusted medical practitioner.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

jerimiahsebastian wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 08:02 It could work, but not as effective as it would by a direct professional. Just my opinion!
On the contrary, if the practical options issued in this book are practiced appropriately, they can be sufficient enough. And hence an individual wouldn't require to get professional help.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Kevivas03 wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 12:20 I believe that the techniques prescribed can be applied without direct supervison from a trained person.The authors who are experts in this field would never risk peoples' lives by asking them to apply methods that can be lead to dire consequences.
You are right, the recommendations are practical and easy to do, but it's required that you also monitor your progress. If there's no progress, then seek medical advice.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

anaplasticCerebrum wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 21:52 I agree, the book is definitely full of practical advice, but personal situations differ. I think experimenting with CBT on your own is totally fine, but if you're concerned you need more help you should see a professional. I definitely think those struggling with anxiety should try these natural approaches before medication.
The main goal of this book is to equip the reader with simple but impactful solutions that are practical in resolving stress and anxiety. As you've stated, medical assistance should always be considered if the situation worsens.
Tsholo2030
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsholo2030.html
Latest Review: Chronic Heavy Metal Poisoning vs. Your Health by Dr. David Maloney
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Tsholo2030 »

I agree, it is a practical guide as one can get assistance from it. I believe it is very informative about how to deal with anxiety. There's no need for one to go spend lots of money even whereas there's a book to help you out.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 07:50
Mindi wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 06:46 There is good practical advice, and I believe many will benefit from it. Each person is different, though, so if someone finds it unhelpful, it is important to seek professional advice. What works for some may not work for others.
Each person should peruse through Gustavo's guidelines and try out what works for them. If it is practical but doesn't resolve their issue, they should seek medical intervention from a trusted medical practitioner.
if it does not work for their issue due you still consider it as practical? I think you define something as practical if you can use it in practice. If it does not work is that not impractical?
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 07:51
jerimiahsebastian wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 08:02 It could work, but not as effective as it would by a direct professional. Just my opinion!
On the contrary, if the practical options issued in this book are practiced appropriately, they can be sufficient enough. And hence an individual wouldn't require to get professional help.
Which ones do you consider practical options in this book? All-natural remedies are not practical and most options in this book can backfire or not be much effective if you are an amateur at it.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 07:54
Kevivas03 wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 12:20 I believe that the techniques prescribed can be applied without direct supervison from a trained person.The authors who are experts in this field would never risk peoples' lives by asking them to apply methods that can be lead to dire consequences.
You are right, the recommendations are practical and easy to do, but it's required that you also monitor your progress. If there's no progress, then seek medical advice.
Yes, I agree with what you are saying. But I think you cannot effectively monitor your progress without the help of a professional either. It is difficult to understand how long to continue before you decide you are making no progress and need medical guidance.

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”