Is VR a deviation from the book

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Evelyn2415
Currently Reading: Spirit of the Season
Bookshelf Size: 5

Re: Is VR a deviation from the book

Post by Evelyn2415 »

Dominik_G wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 04:16 I understand why you propose this question. However, I believe the authors use "natural" as in "non-medical", and so Virtual Reality has a right to make their list of possible remedies, in my opinion.
I agree. It does seem a bit weird because vr is not exactly natural but it is non medical so it fits in the category.
honesty_pays
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honesty-pays.html
Latest Review: Oldogs by Kip Cassino

Post by honesty_pays »

Personally I do not think VR is a deviation from the methods of remedy to stress, anxiety and fear. It could provide an environment suitable for the patient to tackle their issues conveniently.
Latest Review: Oldogs by Kip Cassino
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

I take natural remedies to mean not taking medication or supplements to change the problem. Visualization and grounding have always been important with phobias. I think VR allows people the opportunity to use their sight rather than imagination to navigate their fears. Think it is an extension rather than a deviation.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I don't think VR is a deviation, because the author is trying to show alternatives to prescription drugs that have side effects and high costs.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
jdsatosk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdsatosk.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by jdsatosk »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 03:11 The entire book deals with natural remedies as a way to combat stress, anxiety, and fear. The author mentions Virtual Reality as an effective means to treat Phobias, and this seems contradictory to the "Natural remedies" in the book.
Do you think VR as a treatment for phobias contradicts with the books underlying remedy prescription?
When I saw Technology-Based Remedies as the topic header, I thought it was pretty strange considering the rest of the topics in the book. However, upon reading that section, I saw that it was really just an extension of the cognitive behavior section. I really think that they should have included it as a sub-section to the behavioral section. Instead of putting yourself in the feared situation in real life, you can put yourself in a simulated situation. I think it merits mention in this book, but maybe it should be reorganized back into the behavioral section.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 14:41 VR as a treatment for phobias is a good recommendation, but I'd only use it as a last resort. Virtual reality interphases are also addictive, you might jump out of a frying pan into the fire.
Exactly.
V.R might work, and whether or not it is a deviation from the 'natural remedies' theme of the book, one has to be careful after all.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

I think what natural means here is that it's non-invasive and doesn't introduce some harmful agent into the body. As technological grows, it logically follows that what's 'natural' is up for discussion. It'd be a - in some cases - readily available resource, so why not incorporate into a remedial system, as advised?
K+SQUARE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-square.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by K+SQUARE »

I feel the mention of Virtual Reality as an alternative therapy is not a deviation from natural remedies, rather I see it as an alternative form of therapy that might help people overcome stores and anxiety.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I think VR fits in the book as a non-pharmaceutical solution. It is a natural progression of using imagination and visualization.
Joseph Dunn
Currently Reading: The Paris mysteries
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-dunn.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Joseph Dunn »

I didn't feel it was a deviation: it seemed to me that the use of the term "natural" in this book was in comparison (or opposition) to medically prescribed or self-medicated. The authors also refer to mobile apps for remedies, and technically, despite their marketing, supplements may also be a questionable "natural" remedy.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

As far as anxiety disorders go, anything which works without any major side-effects should be tried. And I think VR is such a method- without any major side-effects. So, natural or not, one should definitely give it a try.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

If it is used to treat phobias its probably for exposure therapy. If a person is afraid of spiders, they can be in a safe space to encounter spiders, knowing that the spiders can't actually hurt them. Virtual Reality won't change your brain chemistry as such things as medication can. I think that is why it is considered natural.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I don’t see why not. If it can help to relax someone than it is worth it. It could also help you combat that fear by facing it depending on what the fear is. It just depends on what you are looking for out the situation.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 327
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: One Foot Out of the Box by Vanessa Kristovich

Post by Hager Salem »

I think natural refers to not chemical, that doesn't make VR a deviation.
Charles lib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-lib.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Charles lib »

I don't think so

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”