Is VR a deviation from the book

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Re: Is VR a deviation from the book

Post by rahilshajahan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 05:15 Howlan wrote:
> Joseph_ngaruiya wrote:
> > Banette wrote:
> > > Given that virtual reality therapy uses the same principles as exposure
> > > therapy, which was mentioned earlier, I think it definitely falls within
> > > the principles of the book. The only difference in VR therapy and
> > > "real" exposure therapy is that the situation is much more
> > > controlled, and it can be less threatening for some. I think the idea of a
> > > natural remedy in the case of this book simply means that it is an
> > > alternative solution to medication.
> > >
> > > I'd actually really like to try it since I do have mild social anxiety,
> > > which definitely isn't anything bad enough to medicate, and I'd heard that
> > > a lot of people were able to use VRChat, and similar games, to help
> > > acclimate them to speaking with people in real life.
> >
> > As you stated, VR is a controlled environment. The intensity or environment
> > replication can be heightened or reduced to suit the preferences of the user.
> It's a
> > very workable solution. You should consider trying it out.
>
> Yes, a great advantage of living in this day and age is that you can simulate almost
> any action. The VR is no different. It can stimulate any social interaction and you
> can definitely benefit from this.

As VR keeps changing, more options to customize experiences as per the needs of the user will help with issues of anxiety and stress. A doctor can recommend a certain procedure as part of therapy, which can be programmed to a VR environment and fit their patient.
This is rather ingenious. A safe place can be created in a VR environment where the patient feels least anxious.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I think it's natural in the sense that it's not pharmacological, but it is, of course, a man-made invention. On the plus side, it's been proven to be a great tool to treat PTSD, as far as I know. Perhaps, it should have been included as an appendix to make the book seem more coherent.
Kreads1
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Currently Reading: The Once and Future Witches
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kreads1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by Kreads1 »

You have brought up a good topic for discussion here! I feel that virtual reality is an alternative treatment, but not natural. In other words, virtual reality could be used as an alternative to medication to help one overcome a fear.

There was an example of this on a season of America’s Got Talent where an audition had Howie Mandel put on virtual reality googles. Once on, he was tasked with walking on a tightrope (or something similar) across a ravine. He was terrified but faced his fear and accomplished the task. So, in theory, one could overcome a fear of heights in this manner.
Cyrus Michino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyrus-michino.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Cyrus Michino »

In as much natural remedies are the most effective to combat stress, fear and anxiety, I don't see the need to rule out Virtual Reality as one of the remedies.
Kevivas03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevivas03.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Kevivas03 »

It maybe unusual, yes to all of a sudden shift from natural remedies to deal with stress and anxiety but talk of using VR still does not take away from the main purpose of the book which is to deal with these scourges. I take the section on VR as complimentary to natural methods.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Lunastella wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 12:42 I think it's natural in the sense that it's not pharmacological, but it is, of course, a man-made invention. On the plus side, it's been proven to be a great tool to treat PTSD, as far as I know. Perhaps, it should have been included as an appendix to make the book seem more coherent.
Yes, VR plays a major role in the treatment of phobias. Gradual and regulated exposure to fear can be a great way to reducing the fear, and VR serves as a great tool in achieving just that.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

lwahls2 wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 21:17 To your point, virtual reality is definitely not a "natural remedy" so at the surface it's definitely contrary to the core message of the book.
To correct your point, VR is not given as a natural option for it being organic. No, its viewed as so because it does not involve taking medication.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 07:39
lwahls2 wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 21:17 To your point, virtual reality is definitely not a "natural remedy" so at the surface it's definitely contrary to the core message of the book.
To correct your point, VR is not given as a natural option for it being organic. No, its viewed as so because it does not involve taking medication.
Then what about herbal medicines? How are they different form medications? Most of the medications have a natural source and most herbal medicine are made in lab.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Howlan wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 05:36 Joseph_ngaruiya wrote:
> rahilshajahan wrote:
> > Dominik_G wrote:
> > > I understand why you propose this question. However, I believe the authors
> > > use "natural" as in "non-medical", and so Virtual
> > > Reality has a right to make their list of possible remedies, in my opinion.
> >
> > I can't agree with you more. The author didn't mean to say VR technology is
> natural,
> > but rather a non-medical means of remedy.
>
> I feel hopeful that VR will revolutionize the struggle people go through with
> anxiety. If it can be used to replace medication, then I would advocate for it.

I do not think that VR can replace medication, as stress has some chemical effects on our body and certain medication can be used to lower down the hormones. But it has a revolutionary role to play for calming the nerves and concentration.
VR is a comprehensive solution for therapy practices and healthcare settings. Consequently, it's a practical way of relieving stress and anxiety.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Howlan wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 05:38 Joseph_ngaruiya wrote:
> cookiedough wrote:
> > I see your point but VR isn't the same as medication. The author suggest
> > natural remedies and VR is a man-made solution that could help those with
> > phobias. It's also fun to interact with VR in general. I was able to go to
> > space and dive deep into the ocean with it, which I found to be an
> > adventure.
>
> Even though VR is manmade, I believe it can be categorized as a natural remedy
> because it can be used in place of medication.

It is debatable whether VR can be considered as a natural remedy or not. It cannot replace medication anytime soon. On the other hand natural remedy also cannot replace medication. Medication is complementary to any Natural remedy.
Although VR might not replace medication, it can help patients avoid the need to require medicine in their treatment of stress and anxiety.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Howlan wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 05:42 Joseph_ngaruiya wrote:
> Astrolorraine wrote:
> > That's a good point! I guess it depends on how you define natural. In a
> > technology vs nature view, VR is not natural. If you think of it as
> > physical experience vs chemical treatment (pills etc), then VR can be
> > considered natural.
>
> You distinguished the two harmoniously. Since VR is a human invention, it can be
> confusing to think of it differently. But Kinrys explains what natural remedies are
> and hence makes it easier for the reader to make clear judgments.

I think VR is definitely a great way to reduce anxiety but it is not natural, as as it is dependant on technology and also because I think it has some side effects like a strain on the sensory organs and while some natural remedies have side effects VR outweighs them if used frequently and without supervision.
Apart from VR, all lessons suggested by Gustavo MD, if not done moderately, can have unfavorable results.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Howlan wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 05:44 Joseph_ngaruiya wrote:
> Howlan wrote:
> > Star_and_Buck wrote:
> > > VR is not a remedy or a solution to anyone's problems but is an escape. For
> > > anyone suffering through anxiety it is an imagionary world where he or she
> > > dreams just where he wants to be or whag he likes to be disrrgarding the
> > > current situations.
> >
> > Yes, and that temporary reprive is what helps us cam our mind and get back our
> > concentration. Similar to a timeout in a busy match to bring back the momentum,
> > sometimes an escape is required to bring us back on our feet.
>
> I've experienced moments of stress and a bit of anxiety, disconnecting for a while
> helps to minimize the levels. VR games have been my runaway choice sometimes. It
> doesn't fix the problem right away, but it helps to keep my mind occupied.

Any game does that for you not only VR games. If a properly built game is interesting enough to hook you into it, it will definitely occupy your mind.
With technological advancements, VR today has provisions for additional software. Though addictive, it offers an all-round experience at the comfort of your phone or location. So, if used properly, it can supplement the practical guidelines given in this book.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I can see your point that VR is not a natural remedy. I suppose one could say that if you take the supplements in pill form - and not as a tea, etc. - that it isn't natural either! Good question!
difu
Currently Reading: The Demon of the Well
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-difu.html
Latest Review: Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by difu »

I understand VR may look like a deviation however, it is not. I think VR should be considered as a natural remedy for anxiety and stress because, just as all other natural remedies, in VR, we are physically involved in the whole process. It is totally wrong to group VR as part of a medication.
prachi29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prachi29.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by prachi29 »

I think that VR is mentioned to give another perspective to the reader. The reader may be able to cope with their situation if they see their situation from a different point of view.

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”