Is VR a deviation from the book

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Re: Is VR a deviation from the book

Post by Howlan »

EvaDar wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 11:58 I do think VR therapy is considered a natural intervention. Anything that is not a medication or other therapy promoted by Western medicine can be considered natural. I also agree with other posters that VR therapy can cause other problems. I think it would be most effective used with the knowledge and supervision of a mental health practitioner. I think the book recommends that.

I do see how it can work to allow a person to "practice" things that carry anxiety in an artificial reality as a way of titrating the intensity of the anxiety prior to trying the behavior in a real situation. Apparently VR therapy is being used quite a bit now. Great discussion.
Yes, VR is definitely the up and coming technology in terms of treatment. Especially, it's contribution to the cure of phobias is quite remarkable.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Howlan wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 03:09
Yes, VR is definitely the up and coming technology in terms of treatment. Especially, it's contribution to the cure of phobias is quite remarkable.
Yes, I looked into it a bit yesterday, and I can definitely see it being useful with phobias. And with trauma - they are using it to help people work through trauma. And like with this book and anxiety, anything that is helped by the ability to "practice" certain behaviors or interventions would probably benefit from VR therapy.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

EvaDar wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 11:02
Howlan wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 03:09
Yes, I looked into it a bit yesterday, and I can definitely see it being useful with phobias. And with trauma - they are using it to help people work through trauma. And like with this book and anxiety, anything that is helped by the ability to "practice" certain behaviors or interventions would probably benefit from VR therapy.
Yes, VR is playing an important part in therapies regarding trauma. Exposing yourself to the fear in a virtual environment can help you in reducing your fear. Also, it helps you have a step by step exposure therapy where slowly and steadily you can face your fear head-on.
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

I see your point but I think that what the author means by "naturall" is anything that excludes medication.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

jaimemiller wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 03:16 I don't think the use of virtual reality is "contradictory" at all. As long as the remedy does not require ingesting pharmaceutical drugs, you can call a substance a natural remedy.
Contradiction would only occur if VR included medication. How about using a gadget is used to burn incense sticks that are medicted, is it in the natural remedy category?
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Miraphery wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 15:56 I see your point but I think that what the author means by "naturall" is anything that excludes medication.
VR has been found to be effective and with fewer side effects. That’s why it has gained popularity.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Miraphery wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 15:56 I see your point but I think that what the author means by "naturall" is anything that excludes medication.
If I may disagree, I think there are also natural medicinations like herbs. Does it mean we can’t categorize them as a natural remedy because they’re a kind of medication?
JGretz-7
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: The Formative Five
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgretz-7.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JGretz-7 »

I don't believe that virtual reality is a deviation at all. The authors discuss how it can be used as a method of treatment with professional guidance to assist people in facing their fears. The fact that is uses technology to do so is really no different than using white noise or soothing music to alter moods.
Nicholas Christian
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholas-christian.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Nicholas Christian »

Well the book is about natural healing methods. Is VR natural? No, I don't think so. Virtual reality is, first and foremost, brought about through the use of cutting-edge technologies.
I do not think technology is "natural" in the sense that other therapies outlined in the book are.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 14:52
If I may disagree, I think there are also natural medicinations like herbs. Does it mean we can’t categorize them as a natural remedy because they’re a kind of medication?
I think Miraphery is talking about lab-synthesized medication. Herbs are a natural occurrence, they exist in Nature without any human interference, so they are not being excluded.
Intel
Favorite Author: Sarah Dessen
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intel.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
fav_author_id: 3879

Post by Intel »

I understand why the author would suggest VR for phobia alleviation. I don't think it will be as effective, unless the person is willing to change. That can be said for anything though, even medicine. I don't like heights and VR makes it seem so real on top of a tall rollercoaster or even when being underwater with sharks.

Confrontation with anything takes some willpower.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

jaimemiller wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 03:16 I don't think the use of virtual reality is "contradictory" at all. As long as the remedy does not require ingesting pharmaceutical drugs, you can call a substance a natural remedy.
VR can be used in many other forms, like in architecture, where it can be used to come up with buildings and an environment that fits the needs of patients suffering from stress and anxiety. Some of the natural remedies mentioned by Gustavo can be created by using VR.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

EvaDar wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 11:58 I do think VR therapy is considered a natural intervention. Anything that is not a medication or other therapy promoted by Western medicine can be considered natural. I also agree with other posters that VR therapy can cause other problems. I think it would be most effective used with the knowledge and supervision of a mental health practitioner. I think the book recommends that.

I do see how it can work to allow a person to "practice" things that carry anxiety in an artificial reality as a way of titrating the intensity of the anxiety prior to trying the behavior in a real situation. Apparently VR therapy is being used quite a bit now. Great discussion.
Recently, VR has become too real. It's now possible to simulate an environment before a patient experiences the real one. That way, therapists can figure out if the environment would work or not.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

VR is part of the natural ways of combating stress and anxiety. Yes, it's man-made, but that doesn't make it an exclusion to the natural remedies mentioned by Kinrys.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

JGretz-7 wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 18:47 I don't believe that virtual reality is a deviation at all. The authors discuss how it can be used as a method of treatment with professional guidance to assist people in facing their fears. The fact that is uses technology to do so is really no different than using white noise or soothing music to alter moods.

Could this mean that all VR methods used must require a professional guide?

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”