Any anxiety-reducing methods not mentioned in the book?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Re: Any anxiety-reducing methods not mentioned in the book?

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

diana lowery wrote: 28 Aug 2020, 08:35
Howlan wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 01:38 Alpha-Stim Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation or CES is a prescribed portable medical device that is proven to provide lasting anxiety relief. It is FDA Approved and can work in sessions of 20 minutes a day. It claims to be a safe and drug-free anxiety therapy that changes the brain’s electrical and electrochemical signals. If I remember correctly it is not mentioned in this book.
I have not heard of CES, and I am pretty sure it was not mentioned in the book. It sounds like a sci-fi device.
Although CES may be effective, the fact that it's not universally accessible makes it insufficient.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

MajestyBooky wrote: 28 Aug 2020, 13:11 Listening to calm music usually reduces stress and anxiety for me.

Another thing is taking long walks where I think things have worked for me.
In many cases, walking requires no special equipment. It boosts your mood and also burns calories, which makes you healthier. A healthier person is relatively able to handle stress and anxiety.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

AbhyarnaAman wrote: 30 Aug 2020, 02:10 when so many methods of anxiety reduction are mentioned in the book, it is up to a stressed-out individual to find out the best-suited method for him/her, which may be easily accessible.
True, you should align yourself with a remedy that suits you. Trying out the different remedies given by Gustavo is a good start in finding out what is workable.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Saint Bruno wrote: 30 Aug 2020, 04:58 Of course yes! There's no way this book could have covers all the methods that can be used to alleviate stress and anxiety. For example, there is potion in my village that is used to calm the nerves and relieve anxiety. Though questionable, it is believed to be effective for over a century among locals.
Do such potions pose a health risk?
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

moowshiri wrote: 30 Aug 2020, 16:35
angela roura wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 15:02 A big thing that I do is distracting myself. That can be with anything. Reading, journaling, art projects, walking, driving. Just keep busy!
I can't agree more. Keeping your mind distracted from whatever it is that is troubling you never fails.
In the midst of stress and uncertainty, your focus matters. The majority of the lessons in Gustavo's book involve switching focus to less stressful moments or stress relievers.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 09:59
MajestyBooky wrote: 28 Aug 2020, 13:11 Listening to calm music usually reduces stress and anxiety for me.

Another thing is taking long walks where I think things have worked for me.
In many cases, walking requires no special equipment. It boosts your mood and also burns calories, which makes you healthier. A healthier person is relatively able to handle stress and anxiety.
And Walking is a critical exercise that is practicable anywhere in the world that you reside in. It doesn't have to be in third world countries or first world countries, every place can provide you with a place where you can walk. It is an effective remedy that regardless of culture, you can easily practice.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 10:06
AbhyarnaAman wrote: 30 Aug 2020, 02:10 when so many methods of anxiety reduction are mentioned in the book, it is up to a stressed-out individual to find out the best-suited method for him/her, which may be easily accessible.
True, you should align yourself with a remedy that suits you. Trying out the different remedies given by Gustavo is a good start in finding out what is workable.
Yes, and not to mention the sheer amount of remedies mentioned in this book makes it a good start for anyone. And the simplicity of these remedies makes anyone easily practice these tasks. For example, keeping yourself hydrated is an natural remedy that can be practised by anyone any day.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 10:09
Saint Bruno wrote: 30 Aug 2020, 04:58 Of course yes! There's no way this book could have covers all the methods that can be used to alleviate stress and anxiety. For example, there is potion in my village that is used to calm the nerves and relieve anxiety. Though questionable, it is believed to be effective for over a century among locals.
Since I suppose it is workable and I suppose it has been in use in for generations it should not pose any health problems particularly considering that it is still popular.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 10:16
moowshiri wrote: 30 Aug 2020, 16:35
angela roura wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 15:02 A big thing that I do is distracting myself. That can be with anything. Reading, journaling, art projects, walking, driving. Just keep busy!
I can't agree more. Keeping your mind distracted from whatever it is that is troubling you never fails.
In the midst of stress and uncertainty, your focus matters. The majority of the lessons in Gustavo's book involve switching focus to less stressful moments or stress relievers.
Yes, another thing the author mentioned is how you can use that stress you are feeling and use it to your advantage to gain a positive experience like gaining motivation for a job or simply trying your best towards a goal.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 09:55
kdstrack wrote: 27 Aug 2020, 21:16 I find that "grounding" or "earthing" is relaxing. Walking barefoot outside helps to release stress from your body. This method works - and it's free.
Your examples are relatively practical. I find walking on a sandy beach or grassy area to be also relaxing.
Yes, I feel that these activities are not only relaxing but also is a form of exercise that keeps your body fit and healthy. Interacting with nature is calming and also helps you keep you energetic. Trekking for example is a good form of "earthing".
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 09:57
diana lowery wrote: 28 Aug 2020, 08:35
Howlan wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 01:38 Alpha-Stim Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation or CES is a prescribed portable medical device that is proven to provide lasting anxiety relief. It is FDA Approved and can work in sessions of 20 minutes a day. It claims to be a safe and drug-free anxiety therapy that changes the brain’s electrical and electrochemical signals. If I remember correctly it is not mentioned in this book.
I have not heard of CES, and I am pretty sure it was not mentioned in the book. It sounds like a sci-fi device.
Although CES may be effective, the fact that it's not universally accessible makes it insufficient.
Yes, that is true. It is one of its setbacks. But if it becomes popular due to its good use and becomes popular, I am sure its production will increase and it will be accessible for everyone.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 10:09
NO! Like I said, it has been in use for many years.
Adebi
Currently Reading: Of Flame and Light (Weird Girls, #7)
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adebi.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Adebi »

Listening to music and keeping myself busy really helps with my anxiety
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

sraby1 wrote: 23 Aug 2020, 08:45 I find coloring in those adult coloring books helps me calm down.
Coloring goes beyond being a fun activity for relaxation. It requires the two hemispheres of the brain to communicate. While logic helps us stay inside the lines, choosing colors generates a creative thought process.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

victoriasimons wrote: 23 Aug 2020, 15:25
cluthrie wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 20:03 Personally I like animal therapy. Animals are so calming to be around. I know horse therapy can be effective for a lot of people. Alas, I don't have a horse, but I do have a cat.

Petting a cat is so relaxing, especially when you have one curled up and purring in your lap.
I couldn't agree more. I'm surprised that animal therapy wasn't mentioned. I jokingly refer to my cat as my 'Emotional Support Pet' because I couldn't live without her. Her attention is comforting and makes my troubles seem trivial.
Since having a pet makes you happy, it can be a perfect solution for managing stress and anxiety. It also ensures that you are not lonely, which is beneficial to avoid overthinking.

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”