Any anxiety-reducing methods not mentioned in the book?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: Any anxiety-reducing methods not mentioned in the book?

Post by kdstrack »

I find that "grounding" or "earthing" is relaxing. Walking barefoot outside helps to release stress from your body. This method works - and it's free.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Where's Baby, Momma? by Antoinette McDonald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Howlan wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 01:38 Alpha-Stim Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation or CES is a prescribed portable medical device that is proven to provide lasting anxiety relief. It is FDA Approved and can work in sessions of 20 minutes a day. It claims to be a safe and drug-free anxiety therapy that changes the brain’s electrical and electrochemical signals. If I remember correctly it is not mentioned in this book.
I have not heard of CES, and I am pretty sure it was not mentioned in the book. It sounds like a sci-fi device.
MajestyBooky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-majestybooky.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by MajestyBooky »

Listening to calm music usually reduces stress and anxiety for me.

Another thing is taking long walks where I think things have worked for me.
MajestyBooky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-majestybooky.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by MajestyBooky »

Howlan wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 01:38 Alpha-Stim Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation or CES is a prescribed portable medical device that is proven to provide lasting anxiety relief. It is FDA Approved and can work in sessions of 20 minutes a day. It claims to be a safe and drug-free anxiety therapy that changes the brain’s electrical and electrochemical signals. If I remember correctly it is not mentioned in this book.
CES to treat anxiety.

I have never heard of CES, especially as a method for treating anxiety. But if it affects chemical signals sent from the brain then it must work.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Lunastella wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 12:55 As many members have mentioned, creative outlets are a great way to reduce anxiety. Crafting, coloring, crocheting, or whatever you enjoy can help a lot!
Yes true. Indulging in some form of creativity when keeps your mind busy and always working is a great way to concentrate and gather your thoughts. You can organize your thoughts more clearly and understand what is causing your stress and devise ways to effectively deal with them.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 15:16
Lunastella wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 12:55 As many members have mentioned, creative outlets are a great way to reduce anxiety. Crafting, coloring, crocheting, or whatever you enjoy can help a lot!
Yes, you are definitely right. My mom swears by knitting. She says that is very relaxing. I think the key is to find right method for yourself.
Yes, It is essential to find something you enjoy doing as it can be our reprieve in times when things get rough for us. In stressful times doing something we enjoy doing can really help lower our stress levels. As every person is unique, so the things that they find comfort in is also different.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Cyrus Michino wrote: 27 Aug 2020, 07:59 Personally, I don't think it's a question of methods not mentioned, rather how we can implement the mentioned methods in the book to combat stress and anxiety.
I do not think that it is possible to mention all the methods present in a single book. But considering how many diverse remedies are added, I think it is quite enough of a database to attract or suit many people.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

AbhyarnaAman wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 11:33
Howlan wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 02:02 cluthrie wrote:
> Personally I like animal therapy. Animals are so calming to be around. I
> know horse therapy can be effective for a lot of people. Alas, I don't have
> a horse, but I do have a cat.
>
> Petting a cat is so relaxing, especially when you have one curled up and
> purring in your lap.

Yes I do relate to that. Spending time with your pet is certainly very relaxing and calms you.
Along with pets, spending time with children around 3-5 years of age is also relaxing
Yes, both of those ideas feel calming. Interaction with pets more than children, However, some people might children quite hard to deal with, so pets seem like a much better option to me atleast.
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

when so many methods of anxiety reduction are mentioned in the book, it is up to a stressed-out individual to find out the best-suited method for him/her, which may be easily accessible.
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Of course yes! There's no way this book could have covers all the methods that can be used to alleviate stress and anxiety. For example, there is potion in my village that is used to calm the nerves and relieve anxiety. Though questionable, it is believed to be effective for over a century among locals.
moowshiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moowshiri.html
Latest Review: The Kings Death by Ed Cannon

Post by moowshiri »

angela roura wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 15:02 A big thing that I do is distracting myself. That can be with anything. Reading, journaling, art projects, walking, driving. Just keep busy!
I can't agree more. Keeping your mind distracted from whatever it is that is troubling you never fails.
moowshiri
Currently Reading:

Post by moowshiri »

cluthrie wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 20:03 Personally I like animal therapy. Animals are so calming to be around. I know horse therapy can be effective for a lot of people. Alas, I don't have a horse, but I do have a cat.

Petting a cat is so relaxing, especially when you have one curled up and purring in your lap.
Animal therapy also works quite well for me. I also don't have a horse around but I do love being around dogs.
moowshiri
Currently Reading:

Post by moowshiri »

anoushka_thakur wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 23:09 I think each person has their own way of dealing with anxiety and stress. All these methods may not be discussed in the book. I believe the practice remains in the hand of the person going through stress and anxiety. Whatever suits them curb anxiety can be a remidy for them.
I can't agree more with you. Everyone has their unique way of manouvering around stress and anxiety.
moowshiri
Currently Reading:

Post by moowshiri »

Dominik_G wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 04:20 I find that being close to animals, especially taking care of them (feeding them, etc.) has a huge impact on anxiety. I also find writing useful: writing in a very free and raw way, basically just putting what's going on in my mind on paper.
Writing is indeed a great way of dealing with anxiety and stress. It actually works best when you jot down the issues afflicting your mind.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

kdstrack wrote: 27 Aug 2020, 21:16 I find that "grounding" or "earthing" is relaxing. Walking barefoot outside helps to release stress from your body. This method works - and it's free.
Your examples are relatively practical. I find walking on a sandy beach or grassy area to be also relaxing.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”