Positive and Negative Stressors

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Re: Positive and Negative Stressors

Post by rahilshajahan »

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 23 Aug 2020, 20:47 I am not certain, how will you consider the stress that suddenly sts in after receiving a piece of good news? I've known that many people had failed to cope up and die. For instance, if you receive news that your house got burned, that is negative stress. But if that person received news that he won some millions in a lottery, that is positive news, and some people died due to this.
Thats when chronicity and the shock factor comes in, right? Its not simply positive in the sense that positive news can bring happiness, and negative news brings sadness/stress.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
prachi29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prachi29.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by prachi29 »

Needless worrying is bad and is negative stress. Whereas having no stress in life will leave us with no motivation to complete a task. It's just a matter of perspective.
Bhuvana Subramanyam
Favorite Book: Lady Smoke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhuvana-subramanyam.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Bhuvana Subramanyam »

I think the stress which makes you work hard to do something can be considered positive, and the kind of stress which makes you overthink and destroy all the things you have done should be considered negative stress!
bjoly2
Currently Reading: Never Eat Alone
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bjoly2.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by bjoly2 »

I, like you, for many years, felt that a stressful experience was always one that was negative. My favorite examples of positive stress are health-related. While stressful on your body at the moment, a strenuous workout is beneficial for your muscles in the long run. But it can also be easy to cross the threshold into overtraining, which is more along the lines of a negative stress.
Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Drado_27 »

Stress can be useful but if it goes out of control it can be dangerous. I will give an example from my experience. When I was taking a driving lessons I felt an immense stress. I couldn't eat or sleep. It paralysed me. However, if we take an example of experienced drivers, we can see that the stress is useful too. If the drivers didn't feel stressed, they would be peaceful, almost sleepy, and that can elongate the reaction time. Stress is the way our brain helps us survive.
Mv94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mv94.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mv94 »

I agree with that there is positive and negative stress. When it is positive one may just work harder and get more out of something :) Negative stress may limit resources and create anxiety :shock2: That is my opinion.
eddhee_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by eddhee_ »

It depends on the individual and your notion about positive and negative stress. For example, working extra hours to meet a deadline at work could be positive for some and negative for others.
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 07:46
Thea Frederick wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 20:43 This is a really interesting question!
I wonder if maybe it comes down to your exact definition of “stress”. Stress can certainly prompt you to do things you should be doing, but too much stress can also be very bad, or stress in the wrong situation. So I guess it comes down to the particulars. What is the situation? How stressed are you? How are you going to react to that stress?
I think the fear of the unknown is also closely associated with stress. Change in our routines can also contribute to anxiety. Identifying these situations can help you realize whether you are dealing with positive or negative stress.
What would be your example of a positive stressful situation? Just curious :-)
-Thea M. Frederick
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

What an interesting thought to reflect on. Personally, I work really well under stress, almost better than when I am stress free. It seems as though I feel more motivated with the added pressure. Sometimes I think people add stress on themselves because we have become almost accustomed to it. It is normal now to be completely stressed out. Who knows if we can qualify it as positive or negative stress. I have read studies suggesting the negative impacts stress has on the body which leads me to ask if it could ever be positive while damaging to ones health?
Literaryfun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literaryfun.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Literaryfun »

Stress is positive mainly if it can be a motivator, to enable us to accomplish something more. Mainly it’s positive if it’s short term. Long term stress is negative with a lot of deleterious consequences on physical and mental health.
Fola Moni
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fola-moni.html
Latest Review: Moonlight Serenade by Terry Mark

Post by Fola Moni »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 14:50 Positive stress example= Working an additional hour to earn extra pay to provide your family with a proper livelihood.

Negative stress example= Worrying about a new pair of clothes you need to buy while you necessarily don't need them.
I couldn't agree more. The sad fact is that a lot of people have negative stress.
JustineSophia2
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justinesophia2.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by JustineSophia2 »

I really think that stress is something that everyone experiences at some point but also is something that everyone HAS to experience to really live a full life. If everything was perfect and someone didn't have any stressors or experience stressful things at work, at home, in life in general how could we appreciate the true value of what we have and our life experiences? It's the negative things and the stress we deal with that really accentuates the positive outlook and positive things that happen in our lives. While I am never ecstatic when dealing with stressors I can definitely appreciate they have a purpose in my life.
- The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go. —Dr. Seuss
Anngladys
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anngladys.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Anngladys »

rahilshajahan wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 05:59 The book talks about stressors (reasons for one to stress) being of two types- positive and negative. I always believed stress was not good emotionally and physically, basically negative.
But now that I think about it, an assignment which you can solve with some hours of studying should be positive stress. Am I thinking right? Do you have any better examples?
Yes indeed, that's positive stress.
Negative stress, I'd say, comes from inherently negative experiences.
Positive stress can come from positive experiences such as getting a promotion at work and needing to improve one's skills upon taking up new responsibilities.
JustineSophia2 wrote: 12 Sep 2020, 21:53
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

Sou Hi wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 00:21 Yes, I suppose everything exists with two perspectives. Personally, I don't regard stress as purely negative. As the researchers say, when human beings are driven into a corner, their adrenaline will reign and humans become supermen. Stress is actually a means of self-defense, but based on how you view the situation, it can be negative or positive. For example, you're facing a deadline. If you give up and do nothing but worry about it, the stress is negative and harmful for your health. But if you think of it as a challenge for your own ability, like "Let's see how much I can do before the deadline.", it will help to boost your creativity under the pressure. That way, not only your work can be done, you'll also be delighted and satisfied.
Oh yes! I totally agree with you. Giving up can have a detrimental effect, whereas the delight and satisfaction that comes from getting the job done cannot be easily surpassed. Oh, if only that was easy to remember and put into practise all the time!
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

I think that negative stress comes from negative experiences, and positive stress tends to emanate from positive experiences. People just need to rise up to the challenge and make the most of each opportunity/situation, seeking help where necessary.

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”