Positive and Negative Stressors

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Re: Positive and Negative Stressors

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

While doing my high school term paper, I learned that stress is not always related to our negative experiences in life. The good stress is Eustress and the bad stress is Distress.
I remember when a doctor told a patient to avoid feeling overjoyed. I was surprised as to why it was the case. It turns out that the patient has a heart problem. Any overwhelming emotions, be it sadness or happiness, greatly affect his/her heart.

To answer your question, I think it depends on the person. While I may be able to solve a basic math problem in less than a minute, it doesn't always mean it's a positive experience for me. Why? Because I probably hate the subject and that is why I prefer to get over with it. It may take longer hours for me to organize my bookshelves, but I can say that I love every minute I spend while doing it.

Some people may list the death of a spouse as their major stressor while others may not care about it. Really, it depends on your perspective in life. This is why I consider others' heartaches as valid even If I can't relate to their problems.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
talli_5
Currently Reading: Royal Assassin
Bookshelf Size: 40

Post by talli_5 »

I think we can also think in the way that stress has a positive effect on our body sometimes. Stress may cause you to be more hyper aware and hyperfocused, this is your brain going into overdrive to help you 'survive' a situation. Stress can also give you the shock you need to do something you find unpleasant but is necessary to do.
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

I feel that the many things that stress us are what makes us skilled and strong. By this I mean things like school or learning to multitask or being a parent. Life lessons. All things can be stressful but do not have to be labeled as negative. Is there negative stress? Yes. I personally believe that in most cases stress usually brongs about something positive. We see them initially as negative, but there is much less negativity to it than we tend to realize.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

There are definitely some positive stressors and some negative stressors. Negative stressors are already very well-known to most people, so I will list some positive stressors- stress of going bankrupt, stress of losing a loved one, etc.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

I think you could also think of positive and negative stress as normal and abnormal. Its normal to feel nervous before a performance, speech or job interview. It's not normal to be so stressed your having multiple panic attacks a day.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I don't think it's possible to avoid stressful situations, but we can choose how we react to these situations. I know it may seem impossible to some people, but it is possible to control stress. I will say there are certain stressful situations that can make us better for experiencing them. Maybe standing up for something we feel is right but makes us very nervous. Going through college can make us stressed at times, but we do it for our education. Maybe you get a new job and you are unfamiliar with the tasks, but you will learn some new skills in the process. There is always a positive way to look at stressful situations.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 327
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: One Foot Out of the Box by Vanessa Kristovich

Post by Hager Salem »

I understand stress can be a motive, but i don't prefer this type of motives myself.
Charles lib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-lib.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Charles lib »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 08:53 I agree with you, and I have also, always, thought that stress was a negative thing--probably because it is portrayed that way in our society. I think a great example of stress being a positive thing is if a person knows they are in danger, the stress causes a flight or fight response, which can, as a result save your life. But if a person is always in a state of panic, the flight or fight response is always active, even if there is no threat, and that's when anxiety and stress can be detrimental.
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

I believe stress has positive and negative sides. One can not be completely energized always, I believe it would affect the way we live, so yes, stress is needed at some point and in my opinion has a negative and positive side.
Maria Ferreira Silva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-ferreira-silva.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Maria Ferreira Silva »

Stressor is something that makes us shift from "ok I'll keep doing this" or "no, I cannot do this again". There are good and bad stressor but we mostly hear this term in a negative way.
Mellino Itz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

I think any form of stress that prompts you to go extra mile to achieve your positive goals can be a positive form of stress. Negative stress can be very detrimental to your health. Reflexes and sudden response to danger and harm is a positive form of stress.
Chris Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nakazuka.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Chris Azuka »

I totally agree with you. This was one of the many lessons to learn from the book. I agree that there are positive and negative stress and the instances you gave are justifiable.
Nicky Rita
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicky-rita.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nicky Rita »

The book discusses stressors as being of two types: positive and negative. Negative stressor are the more variant types while positive stressor is what helps us adapt to a situation.
Monica Omonigho Bennymoore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monica-omonigho-bennymoore.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Monica Omonigho Bennymoore »

It was very exciting for me to see the concept of positive and negative stressors. Positive being the type of stress that yield positive result and negative being the type of stress that brings in symptoms of anxiety. Generally i see stress as negative but now i have a better idea and know the type of stress i allow into my life. Pregnancy is an example of positive stressor while having a terminal disease is an example of negative stress.
koffi Malay
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koffi-malay.html
Latest Review: Mryyh for Mafia Men by C.R. Fulton

Post by koffi Malay »

Positive examples of stress Working an extra hour to earn more money so that you can support your family. Negative examples of stress are worrying that you need to buy a new pair of clothes when you really don't.

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”