Positive and Negative Stressors

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Re: Positive and Negative Stressors

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Stress can definitely be positive to achieve an alert state of mind to achieve certain goals (for example an exam). The problem is when one lives in a continuous state of stress. That is when stress becomes harmful to the body and mind. After living for some time continuously stressed, the body 'forgets' how to relax, and this is when we need to actively try to slow down.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I also had a view that stress was only negative but it seems positive stress does exist and can actually be good for you. In fact, positive stress propels you to prosperity at times.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Pamela Bianca Mas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pamela-bianca-mas.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00TREI0F2

Post by Pamela Bianca Mas »

Stress is considered positive depending on individuals reaction to it. Meaning, if a situations encourages individuals to try and do things to overcome it, then it is considered positive stress. It only becomes negative after sometime, when the people experiencing it grows tired or stops trying. Therefore, we should stay challenged and keep trying!
Pamela Bianca Mas
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

Stress is needed so the body can function to maintain its balance. Hormones are released to help the body function and these are jot produced unless there is a trigger. A slight decline in oxygen when the red blood cells die can be considered stress by the body which prompts the process of red blood cell formation. This is a positive kind of stress.
This is something that helps us physiologically, psychologically or emotionally.

A negative kind of stress is when our body can't adapt or unable to maintain its balance hence we end up rescting differently to what is expected of it.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Marloo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marloo.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Marloo »

I think you are onto something there. A positive kind of stress can help you focus and get better result. A negative kind of stress can leave you paralyzed is with fear or maybe give you a panic attack. There is a saying where I can from that comes down to, “a certain degree of stress is healthy,” and I think that fits perfectly here. The difficulty lays in drawing the line between ‘enough stress’ and ‘too much’. Until when is it a positive kind of stress? When does it change into a negative kind of stress?
Marloo
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marloo.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Marloo »

I think you are onto something there. A positive kind of stress can help you focus and get better result. A negative kind of stress can leave you paralyzed is with fear or maybe give you a panic attack. There is a saying where I can from that comes down to, “a certain degree of stress is healthy,” and I think that fits perfectly here. The difficulty lays in drawing the line between ‘enough stress’ and ‘too much’. Until when is it a positive kind of stress? When does it change into a negative kind of stress?
SophiaNd
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiand.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by SophiaNd »

Yes, I agree with you on the instance you gave for positive stress. If it leads to great results, then it's a welcomed one though it must be balanced properly
Spani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spani.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Spani »

Yes. The example you gave is on point. You would think it is a negative stressor but the outcome say otherwise. So yeah, you are right.
Aurora1114
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aurora1114.html
Latest Review: Road to Delano by John DeSimone

Post by Aurora1114 »

I totally agree with the book. Stress can be positive and negative.
Prositive stressor for me can be a social gathering, taking vacations etc. I am not a very social person so large gathering of people stress me out but I feel that is a positive stress because it is generally a joyous occasion.
Negative stressors for me can be when I overthink about something negative happening in my life and it totally disrupts my entire day and can't do work. Such stressor make me very unproductive.
JeanyJean
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanyjean.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by JeanyJean »

I never knew about stressors. All along I thought that stress is a negative thing but now I know that there can be negative stressors and positive stressors. I totally agree and can relate to this idea because sometimes stress is necessary to bring about change
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

You are right.
At first I used to believe that stress is negative, but now that I have read so much, I have got clearty.
When we get some positive outcome, that stress is a positive stress.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

I think it entirely depends on the person. Some people work better and get better 4wults when under stress. And they don't longer on it afterwards or feel the drawbacks it causes. Others, however, are the exact opposite. Like me. Even if we can work faster under stress, it never ends with the task. We don't deal with stress well. In general, I think a stress-free life is better than a stressful one.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Njokime
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njokime.html
Latest Review: Homo Technica by Stephan Collina

Post by Njokime »

To me positive stresses, is the kind of stress that helps you solve a problem. Most negative stress leaves you drained, physically, emotionally and mentally. This is just a frustrating kind of stress. I think an example of positive stress is,
> stress that helps you make a decision of whether you should stay in the relationship you are in or not.
>stress that helps you make a decision of which career path to choose.
Frankly, whether the stress is positive or negative they all drain somebody's energy.
athurst123
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athurst123.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by athurst123 »

Something like exercise could be considered positive stress. It puts stress on the body and mind, but the results are not negative to the individual.
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

Positive stressors aka eustress are often positive happenings that bring in happiness or joy or better still, incite happy emotions. Examples of such occasions include an upcoming wedding, the long holidays, or pregnancy. On the other hand, negative stress aka distress culminates in the full-blown stress response of having to take cups and cups of caffeine to keep going. If continuous, negative stress can lead to loss of productivity, health problems, and exhaustion.

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”