Anxiety and stigmatization are they related?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Agbata Trust
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Re: Anxiety and stigmatization are they related?

Post by Agbata Trust »

I understand that most people living with anxiety at it's early stage does not know that they are living with it. They reason they haven't seek help is because they haven't noticed it.
Monica Omonigho Bennymoore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monica-omonigho-bennymoore.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Monica Omonigho Bennymoore »

They are not the same. People only decide to seek for help when they realize they are unable to manage the symptoms anymore. People who suffer from anxiety disorder do no face stigmatization but pity.
koffi Malay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koffi-malay.html
Latest Review: Mryyh for Mafia Men by C.R. Fulton

Post by koffi Malay »

Stress and anxiety are two ailments that affect both the mind and the heart. The fact that getting help or talking about it early requires finding a trustworthy person, in my opinion, is the main reason why most people don't do either.
Jack Robbinson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-robbinson.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Jack Robbinson »

I believe — and the authors also mentioned this — people often don't know they are suffering from excessive anxiety or stress. I mean, they might think "ah, this is how my mind works, I always worry too much" but they might not be aware that it's not a rigid and unchangeable personality trait so they don't even think about seeking treatment of any kind. That said, I do believe being diagnosed with an anxiety disorder might come with the risk of also being stigmatized for it. Sadly, this tends to be the case with mental health issues in our current society.
:
justjessireels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justjessireels.html
Latest Review: Murder in the Garbage by Jerry A Greenberg

Post by justjessireels »

Yes, stigma associated with mental health conditions like anxiety disorder can be a significant factor that prevents people from seeking help. Stigma can make people feel ashamed or embarrassed about their condition, leading them to avoid seeking treatment or even acknowledging that they have a problem.
However, there can be other factors that contribute to the delay in seeking help for anxiety disorders. These may include lack of awareness or understanding of the symptoms, fear of treatment or medication, financial or logistical barriers to accessing care, or a belief that the condition will go away on its own.
It's essential to recognize that anxiety disorders are a real and treatable medical condition, and seeking help is an essential step towards recovery. It's important to seek help from a qualified mental health professional if you are experiencing symptoms of anxiety disorder.
Mellino Itz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

Anxiety and Stress is what everyone stuffs at so point in their lives, so see no need for any form of stigma. I think the reason why people stay so long before seeking help is due to ignorance. Most people are ignorant of the common signs and stress of anxiety hence they see it as a normal health condition.
Mercylib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercylib.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Mercylib »

People who may suffer from an anxiety disorder may not necessarily realize they're suffering from an anxiety disorder. They may just think that the amount of stress they're feeling may just be normal. Their thought processes could be like, "Doesn't everyone feel stressed or anxious when doing this?" The book describes many of the stress and anxiety signs, from chest pain to sleep disorders.
Ngozi mouau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-mouau.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Ngozi mouau »

Anxiety and stress affect both the mind and heart. Many people don't ask for help or talk about it early because they need to find someone they can trust. It's tough to share your vulnerabilities, and although stigma is around, it's not the main reason.
Wonder Light
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wonder-light.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Wonder Light »

Yes I think that anxiety and stigmatisation are the same, was mentioned in the book.

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”