Anxiety and stigmatization are they related?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Re: Anxiety and stigmatization are they related?

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

I believe they both their relationship because sometimes when you discuss your anxiety with people, they tend to make you feel it is a norm, and there is no need for help. And when you decide to go for help, community stigmatize you with mental disorder, misappropriating your limited funds among other reasons.
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

Nerea wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 12:28 There is a part where the author mentions that “most people will suffer from an anxiety disorder for at least ten years without seeking help”. Does it mean people living with anxiety disorder might also be suffering from stigmatization? Or something else is causing them not to seek help?
Yes. Most people aren't open to the idea that anxiety is actually a disorder. Some people might brush it off as a ridiculous idea or just something that someone is temporarily going through. But anxiety is a huge factor in people's everyday lives and I don't think it should be something to be taken lightly.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
MariaLivaniou
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Captive Prince
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinbennet.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by MariaLivaniou »

If I were to describe anxiety with one word it would be parasite. Most of the times people don't even realise that there is something wrong until it is too late, and in the mean time the parasite feeds of them unbothered. Many people sadly dismiss any symptoms or signs until they can't take it anymore, it could be their fear stopping them it could be someone or something else, but by the time they finally realised it and did something about it could have been months or even years of suffering they had to endure.
Tayejim1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayejim1.html
Latest Review: Manning Up:(PoesyEssays Of Women's Interest) by Mr.Bigmann Grier

Post by Tayejim1 »

I believe anxiety and stigmatization are inseparable. It is a bitter fact of life. Needless to say, it increases the strain already felt by the victim.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

In some cases, resources such as cost for treatment and access to care facilities are the primary concerns. Institutions or organizations that should take care of spreading awareness and providing assistance is very limited or inaccessible. Some people know that they need help, but resources are insufficient. While others do not know, at all, that help is available because of the lack of information campaigns that will increase awareness. This is the reality in very poor communities in 3rd world countries.
Hester3
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hester3.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Hester3 »

I believe that in a lot of cases people may feel that they will be deemed unfit if they talk openly about about their anxiety. Take for instance a single mother, or a CEO of a company. Admitting that one struggles with anxiety will definitely have an impact on that persons public image. Unfortunately most people put to much value on their public image and in the process ends up hurting themselves and those they love.
glubglub200
Currently Reading: The Giver
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glubglub200.html
Latest Review: Mr. Germ by Itzel Machado

Post by glubglub200 »

I think that that's a part of it. There's a lot of stigmatization in the world today and it's hard not to be affected by it. There are other reasons as to why people have anxiety disorder or suffer from it so badly but that's definitely one of the reasons.
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Post by Laura Mich »

In some way I think stigmatization causes anxiety. Some patients refuse to undergo treatment due to fear of being stigmatized.
Iris Marsh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iris-marsh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Iris Marsh »

I think stigmatization is part of it. Most people know that their anxieties are irrational, so they can feel that seeking out help is silly and they might be afraid they'll be stigmatized by their environment.
moonopam
Currently Reading: Four Kittens in the Bathroom
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moonopam.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by moonopam »

stigimatization and anxiety are not related. Anxiety has to deal with emotions due to something you may be looking forward to do or achieve but stigmatization has to deal with other peoples negative attitude towards you due society"s perceived bad or unwanted disease or wrong perceptions.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

It could be both. I believe some people don't even know that they are suffering. Just like when you are having a deadline at school or work and you don't have enough time to fit in all that you have to do and you struggle through believing it to be normal. But an outsider/professional can see that you are a case to treat.
Spani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spani.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Spani »

Anxiety and stigmatization go hand in hand. Simply because of anxiety is hugely misunderstood. And as is the case with so many misunderstood areas, stigmatization is normal, thish is such a shame.
Taiwo_Olawoye
Currently Reading: OldEarth Aram Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1femi1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Taiwo_Olawoye »

Life should be taken simple enough for you to have fun and enjoy your life. When it is taken too seriously and things are not going your way, anxiety set in. People with Anxiety disorder are stigmatized and that leads to more anxiety which results into nervous breakdown. Seeking help is the key to breaking the trend and a sure road to recovery.
Aurora1114
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aurora1114.html
Latest Review: Road to Delano by John DeSimone

Post by Aurora1114 »

I think that may be true. In my country mental Health disorders are still not talked about very much. This leads to stigmatization about mental health. So those people who suffer from it most of the times, remain unaware of their disorder and thus do not seek medical help.
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

From my personal experience and the experiences of people close to me, it seems to always take years to even get a diagnosis regarding disorders such as anxiety. Similarly to what many other posts here have said, it is difficult because of the stigma as well as not always realizing what to attribute the symptoms to.
Seeking help and treatment is an even more complicated aspect. Navigating treatment options can be complicated and overwhelming, and discourage many people from seeking help with anxiety before they even begin

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”