Anxiety and stigmatization are they related?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Anxiety and stigmatization are they related?

Post by spencermack »

Yes, they are. Of course they are. Being viewed as weak is unacceptable regardless of race, gender or religion.
Spencer Mack
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I don't think it's always a case of stigmatization. Some people believe they can keep their anxieties in check without the help of others.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

Anxiety and other mental health diagnoses are heavily stigmatized, especially in professional areas. People with symptoms of anxiety may avoid getting evaluated because they fear that a diagnosis will have an adverse effect on their professional goals in their education and career. Additionally, I think this stigmatization has led to many people not recognizing the symptoms of anxiety and other mental health disorders. Because we do not encourage open discussion of anxiety by and large, many people may not know what to look for in the behavior of their loved ones or in themselves. Lastly, the symptoms of anxiety can be mistaken for other health issues. For example, children with anxiety will often state that they have a stomachache. Children experience very different anxiety symptoms from adults, so the mention of a stomachache could lead parents and health professionals down the wrong path.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
plnjimenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plnjimenez.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by plnjimenez »

Nerea wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 12:28 There is a part where the author mentions that “most people will suffer from an anxiety disorder for at least ten years without seeking help”. Does it mean people living with anxiety disorder might also be suffering from stigmatization? Or something else is causing them not to seek help?
I do think that to a certain extent, there is a stigmatization related to people with anxiety disorders. People should be more open and aware when it comes to mental health issues and not treat this as some sort of contaminating disease.
moonopam
Currently Reading: Four Kittens in the Bathroom
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moonopam.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by moonopam »

Anxiety and stigmatization are not related. Anxiety means you are anticipating for something that is not there yet. May be you are going for a job interview, you heart and your mind will be restless while stigmatization has to deal with other people's negative attitude towards you because of their negative attitude towards certain behaviour.
Ogbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86

Post by Ogbara »

Nerea wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 12:28 There is a part where the author mentions that “most people will suffer from an anxiety disorder for at least ten years without seeking help”. Does it mean people living with anxiety disorder might also be suffering from stigmatization? Or something else is causing them not to seek help?
I think the of been judged is also another factor that is affecting them from seeking help.
Ayindelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: The Raven's Trail (Book 1) by Liz D. Marx

Post by Ayindelaw »

I think it's possible they're afraid of being stigmatized but I think it's more of the people not taking it seriously until it gets so worse. Many people don't even know that anxiety can be treated by a doctor - it's that bad.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Catie139 wrote: 05 Aug 2020, 06:03 There is no question that stigmatization is involved in getting help. When it comes to getting help from a counselor or psychologist in particular, there have been multiple studies done that show that particular cultural groups have a higher rate of stigma attached than others. Also, in many cultures men are taught that they have to "be strong", and any sign of anxiety would give a perception of weakness. However, I don't believe that stigma is the only thing that keeps people from getting help. For instance, some people simply hate the thought of taking medications. If they think that telling the doctor is going to mean that they have to take medication for it, they may not say anything.
Some people think that only the mentally ill go to psychologists and psychotherapists for help and take medication. In fact, they are smart people who go for help quickly if they feel stressed, depressed, or have trouble sleeping.

I actually knew one woman who was embarrassed to go to doctor because she was afraid that her colleagues would consider her mentally ill. Fortunately, she still went to the doctor and started taking medication.

Some men also use alcohol as a way to relieve stress. They may be truly relieved, but they can become alcoholics through this "great" method.
Serenity2010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenity2010.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Serenity2010 »

I think stigmatization and anxiety are related in terms of how a person can handle personal situations. In a lot of cases circumstances make it difficult for people to seek the help they need and some people do not realize they need help until someone points it out. Fear can be a factor based on individual situations.
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

They sure are related. When doesn't seek medical help for an ailment or disorder, that health condition has a whole load of stigmatization attached to it. As such, the sufferer is deterred from seeking help nothing more nothing less.
Praise George-kayode
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-george-kayode.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Praise George-kayode »

A person suffering from anxiety disorder is likely to suffer from stigmatization. This has been caused by the society we live in, labeling anxiety as a disorder for the weak, hence making its patient stigmatized and not opening up.

For me, I think anxiety disorder can cause stigmatization.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Yes, if they let others know, they might suffer stimatization, and that will prevent them from taking further steps to get help.
There are other factors as well;

Like not knowing how or where to go to get help.
Not being able to financially afford professional help
Or, they might not even know that the anxiety they suffer is a medical condition that they need to get help for.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Gift5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift5.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Gift5 »

I believe fear of stigmatization also prevents them from seeking help.
Gift5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift5.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Gift5 »

ashleexry wrote: 05 Aug 2020, 11:41 People who may suffer from an anxiety disorder may not necessarily realize they're suffering from an anxiety disorder. They may just think that the amount of stress they're feeling may just be normal. Their thought processes could be like, "Doesn't everyone feel stressed or anxious when doing this?" The book describes many of the stress and anxiety signs, from chest pain to sleep disorders. People frequently dismiss such symptoms without finding a root cause.
Yeah, because they believe it is normal, it will come and it will pass so no need to worry, but what they dont kno is that it eats them up from the inside till they are far gone.
Nikhila Kulkarni
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The DrugTech Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikhila-kulkarni.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Nikhila Kulkarni »

I don't think that they are particularly related. Anxiety causes some personality changes. Sometimes it causes people to become very very shy and it becomes very uncomfortable for them to speak up. I think it more of an outcome of anxiety. It may also be because of the time one takes to realise to get treated for the same.

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”