Anxiety and stigmatization are they related?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Shalika_G_17
Currently Reading: Code of Capricorn
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalika-g-17.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Anxiety and stigmatization are they related?

Post by Shalika_G_17 »

I have anxiety issues. For a long time, I didn't know if it was really an issue or if I was just thinking too much about too many things and stressing myself out for no reason, AS USUAL. It was difficult. I tried reading about what I was going through. I tried signing up to newsletters and e-mail courses that claimed to help me get better. The one thing that I did not do, until very recently, is to tell people around me that I have an issue that needs to be addressed. I was really really scared of being judged and of being termed as weak and dramatic. We've been told continuously that the best way to deal with an issue is to believe that it does not exist or that it is going to go away. I think that has to do with why people find it difficult to seek help.
I'm really glad I found this book. I'm definitely going to read it sometime soon. Thanks for asking this question! We really need to talk about mental health and I hope there are more conversations like this one. :)
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

I am sure stigmatization has a large role in why people do not seek help for their anxiety. Mental health wellness is a hot topic in today’s world, as it should be. It is becoming more acceptable to be open and honest about one’s mental health status. I am hoping for continued positive change in this area so that the stigmatization will diminish.
JustineSophia2
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justinesophia2.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by JustineSophia2 »

The really challenging thing about mental health issues including anxiety disorders are that they are not easily identified and cannot be visibly seen. Often, people may live in denial or may not know any different, therefore they don't know they have an anxiety disorder. There is definitely stigma surrounding all mental health issues, it's still significant in society and often people are shunned that have mental health issues. There really needs to be more open dialogue and exposure regarding mental health issues so individuals that do have those illnesses feel comfortable talking and seeking help.
- The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go. —Dr. Seuss
Anngladys
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anngladys.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Anngladys »

evraealtana wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 03:29 I think that is likely part of it. Another part of it may be that people are stressed for so long that anxiety starts to feel normal, and therefore they never think that maybe their "normal" isn't actually normal after all. Maybe getting help is the silver lining after a breakdown following years of accumulated stress, during which time the patient didn't realize the load was getting slightly heavier with every passing day.

It reminds me of the parable about the frog that went swimming in a cooking pot full of cool water. When the stove was lit, the fire warmed slowly enough that the frog didn't notice the changing temperature. Over time, the water got hotter and hotter without the frog being aware of it, until at last the frog was cooked.
I agree with you! One can live with anxiety for so long that it begins to feel normal. Then there's also the society's perception of anxiety and how often people with anxiety are told off. Statements like 'others have it worse,' 'snap out of it,' and others can really discourage a person from talking about his/her struggles with anxiety and seeking help for it.
Anngladys
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anngladys.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Anngladys »

Guda LM wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 04:46 In my opinion, I believe people with anxiety disorders are inherently stigmatized. From my personal experience growing up, we are always taught stress is part of life and you have to be tough and resilient. The notion is true in part, but also it encourages people to be quiet with their struggles. A person who openly comes out and states their anxiety issues is immediately deemed 'high-maintenance' or 'complicated'. These labels themselves are a form of stigmaization.

These unwritten rules are especially very strict for men. A man who openly acknowledges his pain and seeks help is seen as weak, further leading to stigmaization.

I acknowledge things are currently changing, and mental health is starting to be recognized as an important issue, but there's still a long way to go.
That is so true!! Being deemed high-maintenance is actually supposed to 'tame' and shut down the person. It's extremely sad that this mostly comes from close family and friends.
honesty_pays
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honesty-pays.html
Latest Review: Oldogs by Kip Cassino

Post by honesty_pays »

Yes I agree because most people suffering from anxiety disorder may hide it due to stigmatization. They only come out to discuss their issues when it becomes so unbearable and actual help is needed.
Latest Review: Oldogs by Kip Cassino
Claude Hang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claude-hang.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Claude Hang »

Nerea wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 12:28 There is a part where the author mentions that “most people will suffer from an anxiety disorder for at least ten years without seeking help”. Does it mean people living with anxiety disorder might also be suffering from stigmatization? Or something else is causing them not to seek help?
I didn't know that I had severe clinical depression and anxiety as a child
I did not seek help because I thought that such ailments were only for older people and I was used to being in such a state and it became my new normal
Mys_Trea
Currently Reading: Seconds to Live
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys-trea.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Mys_Trea »

I would not really say there is so much of a relation between the two. In most cases, I think people are just not aware that they suffer from anxiety. One just thinks that that is how their own mind works, and that it is natural for them to experience these feelings. It is often when the physical symptoms start to manifest and they perhaps get a medical diagnosis, that people become aware of what is happening.
"She remembered who she was.
And then the game changed."
pablo10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pablo10.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by pablo10 »

Nerea wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 12:28 There is a part where the author mentions that “most people will suffer from an anxiety disorder for at least ten years without seeking help”. Does it mean people living with anxiety disorder might also be suffering from stigmatization? Or something else is causing them not to seek help?
There is definitely some stigma involved with anxiety related mental illness. People get additional anxiety thinking what would their friends or family say if they seek out help for their problems. I think we should encourage each other to speak out on such topics.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I feel some of the people I know never really knew they had anxiety, they were always just a "worrywort" and that was just who they were. I feel that the way society is changing its views on mental health is giving people a different perspective that what they experience may not just be their "normal", as well as a way to talk about what they experience.
JB3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jb3.html
Latest Review: Shadow Game by A.M. Adair

Post by JB3 »

I think that they are definitely related. When people refer to a cancer survivor they refer to them quite frequently as heroes, while on the other hand many people with mental health issues incluiding anxiety are reffered to as crazy. Other people never know that they have an anxiety disorder until it becomes overwhelming and they are forced to seek help. However many people do not want to seek help as they don't want to appear weak. I think that the stigmatization of mental health in general can cause even more anxiety for someone who suffers from it.
Wyzdomania_Gskillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyzdomania-gskillz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wyzdomania_Gskillz »

I think some people can suffer from anxiety disorders without even knowing that it's what they're dealing with. Knowledge of ones real challenge is the first step to making ones life better, and this step can take a long while to be actualized. It doesn't necessarily have to be a function of stigmatization
femma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-femma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by femma »

I read this book using amazon audible, it really delivers on the premises of stress. And as to the similarity between stigmatisation and anxiety, they are closely related, infact interwoven, because stigma against people always result in anxiety, most of the death recorded to any illness are not particularly caused by the illness but because of the stigma and the abandonment of the sufferer. So many had to result into their shell when they're not accepted, cause more damage than ever.
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

In some case that may be true, while in some case, it may just be a state of mind, where paranoia starts to kick in and the person thinks he/she is being stigmatized.
NisasPieces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisaspieces.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by NisasPieces »

As far as I've seen, most people sitting from anxiety think their anxeity is caused by a current stress that will go away when the problem is solved. That's why they don't ask for help, because they don't even realize that they need help.

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”