A socially anxious newbie puts exposure therapy to the test

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: A socially anxious newbie puts exposure therapy to the test

Post by Sanju Lali »

I appreciate your bravery for bringing out this topic online. When we approach other people to get feedback on a particular condition, it does help very much to manage our problems.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

I have learned from the book that stress management begins in recognizing the problem and taking it from there. I personally think that the remedies suggested in the book truly work. Before I discovered about this book, I’ve already established a work out routine but somehow, it faltered along the way due to lack of motivation. Then I picked this book up and realized that exercising really help in feeling good about myself so I started once again and the positive feeling is now slowly coming back.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Life is hard. Situations are uncomfortable. I think it’s great to put yourself out there. Let People know what you think. When you say things out loud you tend to feel better about them and discover new ways to D stress and relieve anxiety.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 23:35
jaimemiller wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 03:11 I'm really glad that you are choosing to help yourself by pushing yourself out of your comfort zone! I found myself two years ago in a similar position as you are in right now. Similar to what you are doing, exposure therapy is what worked for me.
Exposure therapy is a proven way that improves self-esteem. It is also important to focus on what is good about yourself and use it to move you forward. Focusing on the flaws you have can be detrimental.
Yes taking a good long look at your behavior can be a great way in understanding your flaws and helping you get a better understanding of yourself. It gives you confidence and helps you in doing things which you had problems before.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 00:59
EvaDar wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 11:48 Ana Victoria2002 wrote:
> Dominik_G wrote:

> > In my opinion, the book does offer lots of methods and techniques which are
> > at least worth a try. I generally find meditation and exercising to be the
> > most useful tools when fighting anxiety but I have to admit, I don't
> > practice either of them as often as I feel like I should. Reading this book
> > gave me a push in this regard.
> >
> I totally agree with you. Exercise has always been something that makes me forget
> about certain topics that stress me and also helps me to stay healthy bot physically
> and mentally. However I must admit that with the entire pandemic I feel so
> unmotivated to workout even something as simple as cycling or doing yoga.

I agree with Dominik_G that meditation and exercise are a big help. Meditation is the only way I know of to actually train ourselves to stay out of the future-tripping that is always there with anxiety. And AnaVictoria2020, I'm right there with you on the pandemic-related motivation problem. It's challenging to continue self-care when there is so much chaos around us.

I applaud the original poster for taking a risk, following the advice in the book, and pushing through the exercise of posting on the forums. "Feel the fear and do it anyway," is a good prescription for certain levels of anxiety. I am wondering how cluthrie is feeling now, having made the post and generated some discussion on this topic. Hopefully, it helped move that anxiety meter a little bit. Great thread. Thank you.
Facing your fears eliminates them, running from them keeps the problem recurring. By knowing your weaknesses and strengths, you're in a better position to assess your life.
Yes, keep it simple understanding your thoughts helps you to get better and gain more confidence. Exposure to things little by little can really help you in the long run.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 01:02
Eva Stoyanova wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 11:19 I was anxious to start posting in the beginning too! I'm normally shy and don't talk much in real-life situations. However, after a few posts here and there around this forum, I forgot about my lack of confidence.

It's so nice of you posting this and welcoming others with similar concerns to join! :tiphat:
Connecting with others also helps to eliminate our fears, stress, and anxiety. A problem shared is half solved.
Yes, that is true. Having people to whom you can talk to without fear of getting judged is a great way to gain more confidence.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 01:04
CarlytheReader wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 14:12 I appreciate you making this post! I have this book on my bookshelves ready to read. Your post inspired me to check it out ASAP! Anxiety is something that is so prevalent in our society. And as you mentioned, it is especially exacerbated in these unprecedented times. Reading through the comments, I like that exercise is mentioned as a way to help manage anxiety. This is such an underutilized action we can all take!
It's appalling how anxiety can be a barrier to reaching our full potential. It kills ambition, responsibility, and goals. Reading books such as this one is helpful.
Yes, understanding what makes you anxious and that there are other people feeling the same as you do, it makes you less nervous and gives you a little confidnce.
victoriasimons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriasimons.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by victoriasimons »

Well done for making your post! For me, I consume a lot of literature like this, but often forget about it as soon as I've finished reading. It's great that you've taken practical steps to managing your anxiety. I think exposure therapy can be really good if tried out in a safe, small scale environment so that it doesn't backfire.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 23 Aug 2020, 07:06 Life is hard. Situations are uncomfortable. I think it’s great to put yourself out there. Let People know what you think. When you say things out loud you tend to feel better about them and discover new ways to D stress and relieve anxiety.
Yes, that is true. A lot of people are unable to express themselves which causes them to feel uncomfortable around others which results in the build-up of anxiety and stress for the person involved. Apart from saying things loud, I think writing you feeling down and or maintaining a journal is another great way to help you gain a little confidence in yourself.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

lavenderbooks20 wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 21:14 I have learned from the book that stress management begins in recognizing the problem and taking it from there. I personally think that the remedies suggested in the book truly work. Before I discovered about this book, I’ve already established a work out routine but somehow, it faltered along the way due to lack of motivation. Then I picked this book up and realized that exercising really help in feeling good about myself so I started once again and the positive feeling is now slowly coming back.
Before I read this book I did pass away small things like neck pain and swallowing problems aside and did not consider them part of stress which was really careless. Reading this book gave me the ideas of taking those symptoms seriously and a lot of methods like CBT or stress management seems quite effective.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

victoriasimons wrote: 23 Aug 2020, 15:28 Well done for making your post! For me, I consume a lot of literature like this, but often forget about it as soon as I've finished reading. It's great that you've taken practical steps to managing your anxiety. I think exposure therapy can be really good if tried out in a safe, small scale environment so that it doesn't backfire.
Yes, I to often forget these books as soon as I finish it but fortunately, I was able to pin down some symptoms of stress which I did not consider part of stress. After that, I think I found a lot of the content more relatable and I was able to get some good remedies from this book as well, so I appreciate this book. Coming to exposure therapy, it is really helpful in confronting your fears. It helps them in confronting their fears and can manage their feelings of anxiety. It also helps them attach more realistic beliefs about feared objects, activities, or situations, and can become more comfortable with the experience of fear.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: A Reckoning of Wolves by Judy Higgins

Post by Mutai Marshal »

The way are so pragmatic. Meditation do not work for me that much but whenever I get engrossed in a video game, the troubles are long forgotten. But my perfect means is being entangled in a rigorous sport. It works magic in me!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

cluthrie wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 19:59 Topic for forum:
A socially anxious newbie puts exposure therapy to the test

Sometimes I have trouble managing my social anxiety, which is even a problem for me on anonymous online forums such as this. I get so nervous! So.... let's be practical! I'm scared but I'm posting in any case!

As a new member, I am nervous of putting myself out there on this site. I am SO GLAD this book was chosen as the book of the month. Topical, helpful for us ALL during this stressful and unprecedented time on earth during this global pandemic. This post serves as exposure therapy to me!

I invite all of my fellows who are anxious to participate in the forums to give it a go and POST! As the book of the month suggests, confrontong our fears can be rather freeing, no?

What do you guys think of the methods in this book? Are there any ways you plan to implement the advice in your own life?

And, do you have any advice for me as an anxious newbie in the forums?

I hope to hear from some of you in the comments! I'll leave you with my favorite quote from the book:

"Yоu are rеѕроnѕiblе fоr уоur lifе аѕ it iѕ nоw аnd, whеn уоu саn ассерt thаt rеѕроnѕibilitу, уоu саn ассерt thе rеѕроnѕibilitу оf соrrесting соurѕе аnd dirесting your life along the path that you dеѕirе."
First of all, congratulations! Yay! You took the first step to overcome your anxiety. I have some social anxiety as well, but I've found people here are extremely nice, respectful and helpful, so this is a great first step for your exposure therapy. Ive tried pretty much every method that the book mentions (except for transcranial stimulation) and they all work to a certain degree. In my experience, you need to find the combination that works for you. Feel free to send me a private message if you want a friend!
Cyrus Michino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyrus-michino.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Cyrus Michino »

Anxiety and fear of social interactions mostly exhibit the same symptoms. The book has offered a wide range of solutions to these problems. I find meditation to the most effective.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Where's Baby, Momma? by Antoinette McDonald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Congratulations and Welcome. I hope your bravery continues. I have found many helpful reviewers on this forum. I wish you well.

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”