A socially anxious newbie puts exposure therapy to the test

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Re: A socially anxious newbie puts exposure therapy to the test

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

shamayelnur wrote:
> I totally get your feeling about the book and I really appreciate your move
> to fight your fear. Ive been trying to read self help books recently. And
> Natural relief from Anxiety and stress did help me. Being an introvert, I
> fear being exposed to public and get anxious. This book helped me realise a
> lot of stuffs and got me thinking. I really believe the suggestion it
> conveys, that confronting our fear can be freeing. And I'm hopefully trying
> to apply it in my life situations.
If this book has helped you, then you should share it with others. I have to agree that Gustavo did a commendable job.
jaimemiller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by jaimemiller »

I'm really glad that you are choosing to help yourself by pushing yourself out of your comfort zone! I found myself two years ago in a similar position as you are in right now. Similar to what you are doing, exposure therapy is what worked for me.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Ana Victoria2002 wrote:
> Dominik_G wrote:

> > In my opinion, the book does offer lots of methods and techniques which are
> > at least worth a try. I generally find meditation and exercising to be the
> > most useful tools when fighting anxiety but I have to admit, I don't
> > practice either of them as often as I feel like I should. Reading this book
> > gave me a push in this regard.
> >
> I totally agree with you. Exercise has always been something that makes me forget
> about certain topics that stress me and also helps me to stay healthy bot physically
> and mentally. However I must admit that with the entire pandemic I feel so
> unmotivated to workout even something as simple as cycling or doing yoga.

I agree with Dominik_G that meditation and exercise are a big help. Meditation is the only way I know of to actually train ourselves to stay out of the future-tripping that is always there with anxiety. And AnaVictoria2020, I'm right there with you on the pandemic-related motivation problem. It's challenging to continue self-care when there is so much chaos around us.

I applaud the original poster for taking a risk, following the advice in the book, and pushing through the exercise of posting on the forums. "Feel the fear and do it anyway," is a good prescription for certain levels of anxiety. I am wondering how cluthrie is feeling now, having made the post and generated some discussion on this topic. Hopefully, it helped move that anxiety meter a little bit. Great thread. Thank you.
Iva Stoyanova
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iva-stoyanova.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Iva Stoyanova »

I was anxious to start posting in the beginning too! I'm normally shy and don't talk much in real-life situations. However, after a few posts here and there around this forum, I forgot about my lack of confidence.

It's so nice of you posting this and welcoming others with similar concerns to join! :tiphat:
"You can be more aware and more present simply by resting in the present moment, open to all that is, without trying to control it or grasp it with the mind. Truly, a marvelous way of being!"

Richard L. Haight
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 16 Aug 2020, 15:28 Thea Frederick wrote:
> Yeah, I think a great way to free yourself of your stress is to face it and
> expose yourself to it.
> A psychologist I know says the most effective form of therapy is exposure
> therapy, and it is certainly not the most fun!
> Facing your fears and actually diving into them to make yourself anxious
> (and thereby overcoming your anxiety by repeatedly exposing yourself to the
> things which cause you anxiety) it terrifying! And it makes you incredibly
> anxious, of course.
> But it works, if you are consistent and committed. :-)

Wow, I also had a positive experience with exposure therapy. Gradual daily steps to making a lasting change are also required.
Yes, gradual steps can lead to major changes in life. Exposing yourself to fear is certainly daring and a difficult thing to put into practice. But the benefits you gain through this therapy are enormous.
CarlytheReader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlythereader.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by CarlytheReader »

I appreciate you making this post! I have this book on my bookshelves ready to read. Your post inspired me to check it out ASAP! Anxiety is something that is so prevalent in our society. And as you mentioned, it is especially exacerbated in these unprecedented times. Reading through the comments, I like that exercise is mentioned as a way to help manage anxiety. This is such an underutilized action we can all take!
NellyDee29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nellydee29.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (French Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: OverDrive

Post by NellyDee29 »

That's a great step you've taken, congratulations. Posting here shows you're facing your fears and heading in the right direction. With time your fear of social interaction will be a past. I was also in your situation few years ago, but I'm moving forward one step at a time.
Mys_Trea
Currently Reading: Seconds to Live
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys-trea.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Mys_Trea »

Firstly, we'll do for putting yourself out there! I'm all for doing things that make you anxious anyway. Personally, I recommend exercise to ward off negative thoughts. Self-care is also huge. Just doing something that you love, no matter how small, does wonders for me.
"She remembered who she was.
And then the game changed."
Intel
Favorite Author: Sarah Dessen
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intel.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
fav_author_id: 3879

Post by Intel »

I think your post is really well written. I find myself being anxious when nothing is going on. I think its because subconsciously we realize that nothing it in our grasp of "control." I just go with the flow and keep myself low in expectation. Strive big and think openly!
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

jaimemiller wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 03:11 I'm really glad that you are choosing to help yourself by pushing yourself out of your comfort zone! I found myself two years ago in a similar position as you are in right now. Similar to what you are doing, exposure therapy is what worked for me.
Exposure therapy is a proven way that improves self-esteem. It is also important to focus on what is good about yourself and use it to move you forward. Focusing on the flaws you have can be detrimental.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

EvaDar wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 11:48 Ana Victoria2002 wrote:
> Dominik_G wrote:

> > In my opinion, the book does offer lots of methods and techniques which are
> > at least worth a try. I generally find meditation and exercising to be the
> > most useful tools when fighting anxiety but I have to admit, I don't
> > practice either of them as often as I feel like I should. Reading this book
> > gave me a push in this regard.
> >
> I totally agree with you. Exercise has always been something that makes me forget
> about certain topics that stress me and also helps me to stay healthy bot physically
> and mentally. However I must admit that with the entire pandemic I feel so
> unmotivated to workout even something as simple as cycling or doing yoga.

I agree with Dominik_G that meditation and exercise are a big help. Meditation is the only way I know of to actually train ourselves to stay out of the future-tripping that is always there with anxiety. And AnaVictoria2020, I'm right there with you on the pandemic-related motivation problem. It's challenging to continue self-care when there is so much chaos around us.

I applaud the original poster for taking a risk, following the advice in the book, and pushing through the exercise of posting on the forums. "Feel the fear and do it anyway," is a good prescription for certain levels of anxiety. I am wondering how cluthrie is feeling now, having made the post and generated some discussion on this topic. Hopefully, it helped move that anxiety meter a little bit. Great thread. Thank you.
Facing your fears eliminates them, running from them keeps the problem recurring. By knowing your weaknesses and strengths, you're in a better position to assess your life.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Eva Stoyanova wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 11:19 I was anxious to start posting in the beginning too! I'm normally shy and don't talk much in real-life situations. However, after a few posts here and there around this forum, I forgot about my lack of confidence.

It's so nice of you posting this and welcoming others with similar concerns to join! :tiphat:
Connecting with others also helps to eliminate our fears, stress, and anxiety. A problem shared is half solved.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

CarlytheReader wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 14:12 I appreciate you making this post! I have this book on my bookshelves ready to read. Your post inspired me to check it out ASAP! Anxiety is something that is so prevalent in our society. And as you mentioned, it is especially exacerbated in these unprecedented times. Reading through the comments, I like that exercise is mentioned as a way to help manage anxiety. This is such an underutilized action we can all take!
It's appalling how anxiety can be a barrier to reaching our full potential. It kills ambition, responsibility, and goals. Reading books such as this one is helpful.
sblake26
Currently Reading: The New Jim Crow
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sblake26.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by sblake26 »

Great job! Forcing yourself to do things you are scared of is so difficult, but it really is the only way to not let those things hold you back. This point in the book was great advice that I need to be sure to implement in my life.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Confronting our fears can most certainly be freeing and help "lessen" the load. I enjoyed the book, it offers valuable insight.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”