Citations in the Book

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Re: Citations in the Book

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Intel wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 21:23 I agree with your points because any information given, especially something factual or taught to others should have credible references. Not only to avoid suspicion, but to assist anyone who wants to further their research as well.
Could the lack of citation from this book influence you not to share the lessons learnt?
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

djr6090 wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 08:08 It's not that the citations were missing, but that they were not linked to the narrative of the book. A footnote/link to one of the sources in the bibliography would have helped. I like to persue anything I am curious about as an aside at the point in which I have been introduced to the subject. My favorite way is to highlight the topic and search web right then. But in this book, I didn't find anything all that controversial.
I agree that citation is required, but I in my opinion I didn't find any subject that Gustavo didn't clearly discuss.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 09:41
Intel wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 21:23 I agree with your points because any information given, especially something factual or taught to others should have credible references. Not only to avoid suspicion, but to assist anyone who wants to further their research as well.
Could the lack of citation from this book influence you not to share the lessons learnt?
Nope, as for me, I would totally practice any remedy that I find interesting. It is just that if I am interested in something I generally try to learn about that thing as much as I can. So citations help in guiding me as it can smooth my research on a remedy with going through the trouble of filtering numerous webpages to find the most well-maintained article about the remedy.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 09:42
djr6090 wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 08:08 It's not that the citations were missing, but that they were not linked to the narrative of the book. A footnote/link to one of the sources in the bibliography would have helped. I like to persue anything I am curious about as an aside at the point in which I have been introduced to the subject. My favorite way is to highlight the topic and search web right then. But in this book, I didn't find anything all that controversial.
I agree that citation is required, but I in my opinion I didn't find any subject that Gustavo didn't clearly discuss.
As for me, I would have loved to know more about biofeedback techniques as I felt that it did not cover much. Two paragraphs are something I did not feel satisfied in and would have enjoyed reading more on the topic.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Phyllis Anne wrote: 29 Aug 2020, 20:37 I agree that citations would have improved my view of this book. I also come from an academic background and think that adding the citations in there not only give credibility to what you are saying but it's also just a testament to the work other people have also put into this subject (which in turn lends to its credibility). What really got me was the back and forth on the references to the various studies. The authors specifically mentioned that not a lot of research had been made for certain options while there seemed to be more definitive research on other cases but all we have is his word for it. With such specific attention to the studies involved, it was really disappointing that we didn't get to see any of it as readers. Another aspect to the citations is that especially with psychology, the age of the source is really important in terms of its reliability and currency with new discoveries.
Yes, I do think new discoveries will have an effect as though it can definitely be edited and published including those discoveries, but to some extent, the people who have already bought the book will have to buy a second copy to get updated, which is such a shame because you can totally get the information if you were referenced to a site which gets updated with that information.
amandaabend
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by amandaabend »

I enjoy seeing citations and references in works, even if it is just a list at the back. I think it adds credibility, and is much more convenient on the off-chance that you want to find the source!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Occasionally I read scientific essays, and I appreciate seeing a list of citations. Adding the at the end of a book is OK for me. I know many people skip them entirely, but they can be useful when you follow-up on a specific topic, not necessarily when you just finished the book.
Ciao :)
Massimo
adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by adhambakry »

Although the book was both beneficial and believable, citations would have added credibility to the book. Personally, I find the information presented more trustworthy if citations were used. I'm not saying that the book conveyed false information, I'm saying citations would have made the book more authentic.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

It sounds like there are many people who really appreciate having references and citations in a book with medical recommendations. I am glad to see that there are so many who want to look further into information instead of just taking it at face value. I always like to know where information is coming from and what kind of studies have been done. If there was a trial, was the sample size 2 of the author's best friends or a clinical trial with many participants, etc. It is also nice to be able to look further into topics of interest.
peace starts with a smile...
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeraldlaurice012.html
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

Post by emeraldlaurice012 »

Citation would definitely be useful especially for curious minds who might want to find more information about a certain thing mentioned in the book
LouAnne1971
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne1971.html
Latest Review: Grace Revealed by Frederick J. Sievert

Post by LouAnne1971 »

Adding citations really does not have to weigh a book down or be overly complicated. If the author was going to mention a study, cite the study. I also have an academic background and feel that it is the author's responsibility to back up claims being made. If the audience wants in-depth info, then they can research the particulars of the material being cited.
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

I totally agree with you. I like to know the source of the text that is written in the book. I think the book would be much better if there were some sources provided for readers.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I agree with you on this point. The lack of citations, at least for me, took away the credibility of the information that the author gave. Social media is being used all of the time to spread lies and misinformation. But, as a few other posters here said, I did find the resources at the back of the book helpful and informative.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Jeff Winger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Jeff Winger »

I really would have liked for there to be some citations in the book as I would have the opportunity to do some research myself and perhaps have a deeper understanding from the source than simply reading it in the book.
jdsatosk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdsatosk.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by jdsatosk »

B00kN1nja wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 13:52 I really wish this book had included some source citations, even just simple footnotes for some of the information. As someone from an academic background, I really think this adds credibility and aids readers who are looking for more, especially in a world filled with false information. I do not think the authors were being dishonest, either intentionally or unintentionally, but just a few footnote citations would have improved my view of the book. Especially in circumstances where the authors say something like "one study found that", I think including a citation is really important for the authors' credibility and giving credit to the team that did the "one study".

I do realize that it was supposed to be a practical and accessible guide and that packing it full of references to scientific articles would impede that goal, but I think there has to be some middle ground. What are other peoples' thoughts on this?
Yes! This drove me nuts while I was reading! I understand that they were trying to make it a laymans text, but if they are making a suggestion based off of a study, at least list some information to use to look at the study! I'm glad I'm not the only one this bothered. :)

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”